Thank you notes post interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

becomingdoctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to know if thank you notes/email is necessary (will make any difference). And who should I send these notes to(tour guide/interviewer)? In what formality (email/card)?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of schools that I sent secondaries to had a tab on their applications portal for updates and this included thank you letters. I am sure it differs by school though.

Edit: This was my experience with MD schools but I just realize this was in the DO forum. I am sure it is still very similar though

Reactions: 1 user
I want to know if thank you notes/email is necessary (will make any difference). And who should I send these notes to(tour guide/interviewer)? In what formality (email/card)?

No. If you want to you could.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to Goro, "Thank you cards come off as being polite. Mostly they're ignored."

If you do get a thank you card...... Get the one that transform into a check for the amount of their acceptance deposit. Always be one step ahead :nod:

Reactions: 1 users
You give thank you cards as a courtesy not a leg up in you application. This is the thought process you should be having.

^^Agree above.. I don't think they will give you any kind of leg up, but it is a courtesy that you should extend. I took a couple thank you cards with me to each of my interviews and if they don't ask that you send them via e-mail, I took a couple minutes right afterwards to write them out and hand them to the admissions office before I left my interview day. It was helpful that all of their names and our conversations were fresh in my mind so I could reference them easily as opposed to waiting a day or 2.

It's a normal thing to do, and a polite thing to do, but it won't make a difference in your application one way or another.

It's a normal thing to do, and a polite thing to do, but it won't make a difference in your application one way or another.

It's not really normal, and it certainly isn't necessary OP. The interviewers aren't doing you favors, it's part of their job.