thank you notes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I didn't. I don't think it hurts or helps. At a lot of programs, especially those with large numbers of applicants, I doubt the person who interviewed you would even remember you.
 
I think it can help. Similar to how a job candidate should thank the interviewer through e-mail or "thank you" card.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did write thank you notes to both of my interviewers. I don't know if it made a difference or not but I was accepted. If you do it make sure you write/send them ASAP after the interview. I wrote separate notes to both of them, thanking them and personalizing on something they mentioned in the interview based on the questions I asked.
 
Great question. The best way to put it is that it definitely will never hurt. So I would send one, but don't feel bad or at a disadvantage if you don't remember. For a smaller program or one with a more personalized interview, a letter would be great. For larger programs, or if you want to be prompt, even a thank you e-mail to admissions would be sufficient. Just keep it brief (maybe 3-4 sentences) thanking them for the opportunity and perhaps mentioning something you learned or liked (to make it personal) like the poster above suggested. I sent thank you emails to a few of the programs I interviewed at. Good luck to you.

Edit: I just re-read the OP. If you meant to the program, my answer remains the same. If your question was about sending letters to the specific faculty member who interviewed you, I would say there is no need. Just send the letter or email to the department.
 
Last edited:
I wrote thank you emails to the faculty members that interviewed me at all three schools and interviewed at, and I was accepted to all of them. I am not sure if it helped, but I don't think it hurt. I mentioned something I enjoyed about the program and reiterated something that I talked about in the interview that made me a good candidate. I also received a few emails back from the faculty members and they seemed to appreciate the email I sent them.