Thank you notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Harrie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who applied last year (or before)...
Did you write thank you notes to your interviewers? Did you write to all of them or just the program director? Handwritten or typed? Long or short?
Please give me some insight into the etiquette for all of this stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

Typed letters to everyone I interviewed with. First few sentances were standard stuff. Last few sentances were interviewer specific, talking about stuff we discussed during the interview.

Sorry, I'm too lazy to handwrite all those letters.... :laugh:

Quick $0.02. First, typed letters are fine, and in my opinion, better for this situation than handwritten notes on cards. You're essentially interviewing for a job this time around and a nice, typewritten letter on good paper comes across as professional and detail-oriented. If you want, you can write a quick note at the bottom to personalize it a bit. If you have reasonably good handwriting. ;)

Second. No absolute, hard and fast rule about who should get a thank you. Some programs will be interview "by committee" - in that case, a letter to the PD and/or the chairperson is fine. If you only interviewed with 1-3 people, you can send a separate letter to each. In general, one should always go to the PD/Chairperson, however.

-NCH PGY-1

How soon after the interview is good timing to send thank you letters?

wow...a typed letter? That is pretty crazy--I have no idea what I would actually say. I was thinking more along the lines of a nice quick thank you note...do they really want letters?!

joaquin13 said:
wow...a typed letter? That is pretty crazy--I have no idea what I would actually say. I was thinking more along the lines of a nice quick thank you note...do they really want letters?!

Ideally they should be typed and the letters should be short, barely much longer than a thank you card

Ok, so basically not a real "thank you" letter at all in the traditional sense, just a professional letter with some details on good paper, plain envelope.

I think that actually makes it easier, in terms of knowing what's appropriate.

Thanks!