Thank you notes?

Started by Omega3
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Omega3

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just read over some med school interview websites that suggest sending a note to admissions after the interview is over to thank them. Has anyone done this after their optometry interview? It seems kind of brownnose-ish, not to mention possibly annoying to the admissions people b/c it gives them even more paper to deal with. But it never occured to me and now I'm wondering if I made a big faux pas.
 
i don't think it matters whether you write one or not. I wrote a thank you letter to one school and not to the other and was accepted to both. if you decide to write a thank you letter, make sure you remember who you interviewed with. g'luck.
 
In my opinion thank you notes are optional. I wrote thank you notes to the person who interviewed me at two of the places I interviewed at just because it's a nice gesture.

The only way a thank you note can hurt you I would think is if you had gramatical errors in it so if you do send one PROOFREAD like crazy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks guys. Maybe I'll write one to the last place I interviewed at, seeing as it can't hurt.
 
I did send one to my interviewers, however, I waited until I received my acceptance because I didn't want to sound like a suck-up either 😀 It might not be the best idea to wait until after, it's just what I did.
 
I sent one to my first interviewer and didn't for my other interviews/schools and I don't think it made a big difference on my acceptance since I got into ones I did and did not send one to. However, it's a nice gesture to say thank you for their time and I know the interviewer I did e-mail sent a response back that basically indicated that he barely gets thanked and that he really appreciated it.
 
i felt weird doing it too but then i thought... wtheck! so i googled my interviewers right after the interview to find their email addresses and sent them thank you e-greetings.

now i think it's totally appropriate---i have a feeling it had a pretty positive impact bc i just got my acceptance even though i felt i didn't do as strongly as i wanted to in the interview. so yes, send thanks! good luck!!
 
I didn't send thank yous for the interview but I did send them after I visited SCO. Sent a postcard of my undergrad school to the tour guide and the person I had a sit down with.
 
Writing a brief, handwritten message that references something specific about your experience with the interviewer is a nice gesture and will help them remember you in a positive light.

I've never received a thank you card and thought, "What a jerk! He's trying to suck up to me!"