Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I first wanted to say "thank you" to the members of SDN. I have read this site at great length (although a long time lurker I'm only a very recent member) and I never cease to be impressed with how helpful everyone is to even the most mundane of questions. I hope in the years to come to give back even a small amount of what this site has taught me regarding how best to accomplish my long-term goals. Although, based on everything I read, I am confident in the approach I will outline below, if anyone has any thoughts they would be much appreciated.
A little about me is probably in order. I am a 34 year old corporate / bankruptcy attorney (6 years at a Wall St. firm and most recent 2 years in solo-practice). I went to a top 25 law school (more towards the bottom of said 25 than the top) where I graduated with 3.6 GPA. I scored 162 on the LSAT. My undergraduate degree in accounting, although accomplished with a 3.7 GPA, is from a small no name school (no science classes to speak of). 1250 on SAT which is nothing spectacular but under circumstances below I was happy with it. Granted that no name school educated me enough so that I passed all 4 parts of the CPA exam in my first sitting, but still no name is no name. As I was coming from a no name undergraduate and attempting to get into a top tier law school I took summer classes at an Ivy and did very well. So much so that my professor wrote me a letter of recommendation that I am certain to this day played a huge part in my getting into a top law school.
So, why do I want to do a post-bacc and then go to medical school? It's not because I'm miserable practicing law. I don't love it but I far from hate it. The money is good and I do enjoy the clients I work with. Rather I was raised in a very difficult emotional environment. How I was treated from as young as I can remember to my late teens when I left for college was something I would not wish on anyone. This led to anxiety, panic attacks and corresponding depression for as long as I can remember. As I approached 30 years old, and felt I was hitting rock bottom, I stood up and finally sought help. The work I have done with my doctor over the last few years has been nothing short of life altering. My anxiety, panic attacks and corresponding depression are a thing of the past. I am truly inspired to seek a medical degree with the ultimate goal of helping even one person the way my doctor has helped me.
For those that have read this far thank you. So, my plan for my post-bacc is as follows. I believe I need a 2-year program to make myself a more solid candidate for medical school. I have mentored and tutored teens, but otherwise my EC activities are not all that impressive over the last few years. Further, I realize I need to really devote time to working in the mental health field (I've spent a lot of time on my own mental health but only now feel ready to help others through volunteer / other opportunities). I plan on applying to the Health Careers Program at Harvard. I understand acceptance is fairly liberal (still fingers crossed, knock on wood, etc.). The only detraction re: the program I've read on this board that really stands out is that the support staff in terms of guiding you on the journey from post-bacc to medical school could be better. I think I'm willing to accept that cost with the benefit being more time to build up my resume outside of the law.
I've also considered, and would appreciate thoughts, on how I'd look to an adcom coming from one of the top 1 year programs (obviously w/the big assumption that I could even get into one). I'm up there in years so if I could chop a year off of things that would obviously be a plus.
It's been a lifetime that has gotten me to this point and I just wanted to bounce things off the community to make sure I'm approaching this in the best way possible. I appreciate any thoughts you might have.
Thank you.
A little about me is probably in order. I am a 34 year old corporate / bankruptcy attorney (6 years at a Wall St. firm and most recent 2 years in solo-practice). I went to a top 25 law school (more towards the bottom of said 25 than the top) where I graduated with 3.6 GPA. I scored 162 on the LSAT. My undergraduate degree in accounting, although accomplished with a 3.7 GPA, is from a small no name school (no science classes to speak of). 1250 on SAT which is nothing spectacular but under circumstances below I was happy with it. Granted that no name school educated me enough so that I passed all 4 parts of the CPA exam in my first sitting, but still no name is no name. As I was coming from a no name undergraduate and attempting to get into a top tier law school I took summer classes at an Ivy and did very well. So much so that my professor wrote me a letter of recommendation that I am certain to this day played a huge part in my getting into a top law school.
So, why do I want to do a post-bacc and then go to medical school? It's not because I'm miserable practicing law. I don't love it but I far from hate it. The money is good and I do enjoy the clients I work with. Rather I was raised in a very difficult emotional environment. How I was treated from as young as I can remember to my late teens when I left for college was something I would not wish on anyone. This led to anxiety, panic attacks and corresponding depression for as long as I can remember. As I approached 30 years old, and felt I was hitting rock bottom, I stood up and finally sought help. The work I have done with my doctor over the last few years has been nothing short of life altering. My anxiety, panic attacks and corresponding depression are a thing of the past. I am truly inspired to seek a medical degree with the ultimate goal of helping even one person the way my doctor has helped me.
For those that have read this far thank you. So, my plan for my post-bacc is as follows. I believe I need a 2-year program to make myself a more solid candidate for medical school. I have mentored and tutored teens, but otherwise my EC activities are not all that impressive over the last few years. Further, I realize I need to really devote time to working in the mental health field (I've spent a lot of time on my own mental health but only now feel ready to help others through volunteer / other opportunities). I plan on applying to the Health Careers Program at Harvard. I understand acceptance is fairly liberal (still fingers crossed, knock on wood, etc.). The only detraction re: the program I've read on this board that really stands out is that the support staff in terms of guiding you on the journey from post-bacc to medical school could be better. I think I'm willing to accept that cost with the benefit being more time to build up my resume outside of the law.
I've also considered, and would appreciate thoughts, on how I'd look to an adcom coming from one of the top 1 year programs (obviously w/the big assumption that I could even get into one). I'm up there in years so if I could chop a year off of things that would obviously be a plus.
It's been a lifetime that has gotten me to this point and I just wanted to bounce things off the community to make sure I'm approaching this in the best way possible. I appreciate any thoughts you might have.
Thank you.
