Thanking your letter writers

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by Legion560, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Legion560

Legion560 Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sorry if this has been discussed already. A friend of mine wrote thank you notes to his letter writers which I thought was a good idea. But he also bought each of them a small gift. What do you think about that? I wouldnt mind getting my letter writers something small-like a Starbucks gift card or something like that, but does that come off as total arsekissing? Especially since some of these people will have a say in ranking me?

Legion560

2. EctopicFetus

EctopicFetus Keeping it funky enough
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah I would avoid bribery until after match. I hand wrote thank yous to all of them. Then after match day we will see.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rugtrousers

rugtrousers Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Personally, I don't think you need to resort to bribery. We're poor med students, and they appreciate that. I've been e-mailing my letter writers intermittently to let them know how I'm doing and where I am interviewing. I'll send them written thank you's after Match and graduation announcements in the spring. :p

4. BKN

BKN Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

It's totally unnecessary. However, if you have an adviser who was particularly good to you and you really want to do something, cookies are always appreciated. ;)