Thanking your mentors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

So I've already sent the people who wrote me a letter of recommendation a thank you letter with a gift card for their time and efforts in recommending me. I plan on sending them an update email updating them to my status.

However, now that I've been accepted at my top choice, there are a few people who I feel like went above and beyond in helping me achieve my goals. One mentor in particular, a dental director and faculty for two schools, hired me as a DA and trained me. She provided advice, and wrote me a letter of recommendation, and used her connections to ensure I wasn't unnoticed. I'm not sure how to thank her, in a way that would be appropriate and wouldn't be "too much" given she is my boss.

Has there been any person on your journey to dental school that went above and beyond for you? How did you thank them?

Members don't see this ad.

So I've already sent the people who wrote me a letter of recommendation a thank you letter with a gift card for their time and efforts in recommending me. I plan on sending them an update email updating them to my status.

However, now that I've been accepted at my top choice, there are a few people who I feel like went above and beyond in helping me achieve my goals. One mentor in particular, a dental director and faculty for two schools, hired me as a DA and trained me. She provided advice, and wrote me a letter of recommendation, and used her connections to ensure I wasn't unnoticed. I'm not sure how to thank her, in a way that would be appropriate and wouldn't be "too much" given she is my boss.

Has there been any person on your journey to dental school that went above and beyond for you? How did you thank them?
I hand-wrote my letters to all my recommenders. To whom that went beyond and provided me with excessive support, I bought a gift. Something that isn't too expensive. For example, I bought a nice candle with this pretty cap (idk what it's called) that goes on top of it as a decoration for one of my female recommenders.

Dinner at a reputable restaurant is my personal preference, but a very personal letter of appreciation atop a mount of chocolates is definitely a pleasant alternative.

I got two of them a gift card to their favorite restaurant where they both took me out to dinner one time, along with a letter.