Thanks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marigold

Kid Doctor
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to introduce myself, and say thanks for the info I've gotten from this forum...

I'm currently an MS3 at Baylor, and I have recently decided (with ~95% certainty at this point) that I want to pursue Family Medicine. I've really enjoyed learning about FM here in this forum, and I appreciate everything that all the previous posters have left to read!

Looking forward to getting to know fellow FM folks better!

Members don't see this ad.

Marigold said:
Just wanted to introduce myself, and say thanks for the info I've gotten from this forum...

I'm currently an MS3 at Baylor, and I have recently decided (with ~95% certainty at this point) that I want to pursue Family Medicine. I've really enjoyed learning about FM here in this forum, and I appreciate everything that all the previous posters have left to read!

Looking forward to getting to know fellow FM folks better!

Just curious.... toward what is the other ~5% of you leaning?

BostonDO said:
Just curious.... toward what is the other ~5% of you leaning?

I believe I would have to say OB/GYN...but I can do that in Family, along with all of the other things I have liked so far! (I've been on rotations since January, have done OB/GYN, Peds, Neuro, and am almost done with Surgery. IM is next).

Members don't see this ad :)
Marigold said:
I believe I would have to say OB/GYN...but I can do that in Family, along with all of the other things I have liked so far! (I've been on rotations since January, have done OB/GYN, Peds, Neuro, and am almost done with Surgery. IM is next).

Same here. Loved OB...but not enough to make it my life. Love medicine, but I missed the babies. Loved surgery, but I want a life.

Every so often I will gravitate toward something else, but right now the only other residency in the running for me besides family would be Meds/Peds.

sophiejane said:
Same here. Loved OB...but not enough to make it my life. Love medicine, but I missed the babies. Loved surgery, but I want a life.

Every so often I will gravitate toward something else, but right now the only other residency in the running for me besides family would be Meds/Peds.

This is EXACTLY how I feel. I have loved lots of stuff, but I want to have a life. Sophie, I think we're kindred spirits! hehe. Except I don't think I wanna do Med/Peds. I know that I don't want to be in the hospital, or specialize, so I think Family makes more sense for me.

Marigold said:
This is EXACTLY how I feel. I have loved lots of stuff, but I want to have a life. Sophie, I think we're kindred spirits! hehe. Except I don't think I wanna do Med/Peds. I know that I don't want to be in the hospital, or specialize, so I think Family makes more sense for me.
Sounds very, very familiar. I went through the same process and finally realized that Family Medicine would allow me to do a little of all of the things that I loved in med school. Combine that with the need to have a lot of variety in my day and have a life outside of medicine, and Family was really the only decision I could have made. I think a lot of us followed the same winding path only to end up in the same place. I'm partway through my intern year now and I know I made the right decision. Good luck, and definitely ask any and all questions you might have prior to making your decision. We'll be happy to help out. :)

tridoc13 said:
Sounds very, very familiar. I went through the same process and finally realized that Family Medicine would allow me to do a little of all of the things that I loved in med school. Combine that with the need to have a lot of variety in my day and have a life outside of medicine, and Family was really the only decision I could have made. I think a lot of us followed the same winding path only to end up in the same place. I'm partway through my intern year now and I know I made the right decision. Good luck, and definitely ask any and all questions you might have prior to making your decision. We'll be happy to help out. :)

Oh, good! That's exactly what's happening to me. I thought I wanted to do Emergency Medicine, then I thought I wanted to Ob/Gyn, then I entertained the thought of doing Peds, then Ob/Gyn again, and then I just got discouraged for awhile because nothing felt 100% right....and then a FM doc alerted me to what a "best kept secret" family is, and when I started reading more, I just got more and more excited because I felt a peace about it that I had never felt about anything before. It combines all the things I've loved doing so far, along with a great place to practice my personal philosophies, along with the great life outside medicine that is a must-have for me.... :love:

Tridoc, I'm glad that you have found that you made the right decision!! That's one thing I was so afraid of, waking up one day and realizing that I don't like my job. Thanks for the encouragement!