That one time when I drooled over the EM doc the other day...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DoctorDrewOutsidetheLines

Pink Panther & Hope Diamond
Removed
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So yeah, this really happened.

I'm doing my ride alongs as an EMT-in-the-making on an overnight shift with two beefy non-minority, non-females.

We drop off a patient at the ER and I am bowled over by the fact that the EM doctor is duh-duh-duh:

A BLACK MALE. That's like finding a purple unicorn.

I get all gooey-eyed and stuttered - and the paramedics start cracking up - but in my defense I was just a lowly EMT student with my company-logo student polo and I was amazed to see a Black male EM doctor.

I wanted to ask if I could shadow him. I wanted to ask if he could mentor me. I wanted to ask about his path to becoming a doctor. Were his parents doctors or was he a boot-strapper?

I wanted to say something, anything, except the random gurgles that came out of my mouth.

I was thanking God at that moment that my skin pigment does not turn beet red.

Back in the ambulance, I got major ish from the two guys who thought I was having a panty-soaking moment.

The ER doctor WAS gorgeous, but come on, I did see the ring on his finger.

And this ^ is why we need more people who look like us in the medical field. More people = more mentors = less face palm moments for those of us trying to become doctors.
 
Last edited:
LMAO you are a good writer and that was good for a laugh. I disagree the moral of the story (which seemed like a complete non sequitur to me) but it certainly added to the comedic effect.
 
@Noomm Thanks for the compliment. I'm still trying to figure out how to salvage this situation, lol. I might have to come down with a case of angina or something but that would be a very expensive way to pluck up the courage to ask for a mentor.