That "What would you do if you weren't a physician question"...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am a career changer and this was the second or third question in my first interview. It rattled a little me because I couldn't help but conclude she had already made up her mind. I thought it was a silly question because the true answer for anyone who has to support themselves and their family is, "If this doesn't work out after a cycle or two, I'll have to find a job doing something else and, statistically speaking, probably won't be any less happy long-term than if I had gone to med school." Instead I said something about becoming a PA or an NP and they jumped all over that and was the only school that rejected me post interview.
You thought your answer, to become a PA or NP if you couldn't get into med school, was weak??? Wow! I wonder how many think about those options especially after re-applying several times.

Awesome thread--would have been great if I had seen it earlier, as I was actually asked this question.
So what was your answer?

Any would-be musicians? I've heard about many doctors-who-turn-musicians.

Members don't see this ad.

I did not read all the responses, but I'd like to share one experience. After I answered this question, my interviewer was REALLY impressed and wanted to know why I don't do that instead. She thought I would make bigger contributions with my "big ideas" as a PhD and emphasized it over and over again throughout our hour together. She explained that my "eloquent, ambitious nature" was more suited to research, and went on to say doctors are really behind closed doors and the ones front and center are PhDs. More than once, I had to say I did not enjoy research and would like to contribute more directly to healthcare.

Rejected in less than a week after the interview. Got a canned response afterwards asking for feedback.

I dunno what the right answer to this question is, but it looks like "make sure it sucks more than being a doctor" is a good suggestion.

I am a career changer and this was the second or third question in my first interview. It rattled a little me because I couldn't help but conclude she had already made up her mind. I thought it was a silly question because the true answer for anyone who has to support themselves and their family is, "If this doesn't work out after a cycle or two, I'll have to find a job doing something else and, statistically speaking, probably won't be any less happy long-term than if I had gone to med school." Instead I said something about becoming a PA or an NP and they jumped all over that and was the only school that rejected me post interview.
Ouch!

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not read all the responses, but I'd like to share one experience. After I answered this question, my interviewer was REALLY impressed and wanted to know why I don't do that instead. She thought I would make bigger contributions with my "big ideas" as a PhD and emphasized it over and over again throughout our hour together. She explained that my "eloquent, ambitious nature" was more suited to research, and went on to say doctors are really behind closed doors and the ones front and center are PhDs. More than once, I had to say I did not enjoy research and would like to contribute more directly to healthcare.

Rejected in less than a week after the interview. Got a canned response afterwards asking for feedback.

I dunno what the right answer to this question is, but it looks like "make sure it sucks more than being a doctor" is a good suggestion.
I will admit that interviewers give the response that the applicant "should go into research" as one of the more common conclusions in a neutral to negative evaluation. It is curious in your case though, that this one seemed impressed and positive. It is possible that she did give you a strong evaluation, but we'll never know!

This question is something I've struggled to answer for the past two years. I have two very strong passions, medicine and sports (seriously), but to do them well, I know I wouldn't be able to do them both at least not at the same time through years of medical school. So I have this dilemma that's kinda hitting me hard. In both cases, giving up one now for the other will set up on very different paths that I'm afraid I won't be able to go back to. I mean, you can see that I wouldn't be able to go back to this sport after I have my degree. But I'm concerned that I won't get back into the routine of studying those long hours if I wait. Suggestions?

And it's not as if I can say I'd like to do both. I think that makes me seem as if I haven't thought about this.

You can always go back to med school. Picking up the studying after a break isn't as hard as you think - I took two years off to try something else. Go to a school that is P/F first year if you really think it would be a problem.

This question is something I've struggled to answer for the past two years. I have two very strong passions, medicine and sports (seriously), but to do them well, I know I wouldn't be able to do them both at least not at the same time through years of medical school. So I have this dilemma that's kinda hitting me hard. In both cases, giving up one now for the other will set up on very different paths that I'm afraid I won't be able to go back to. I mean, you can see that I wouldn't be able to go back to this sport after I have my degree. But I'm concerned that I won't get back into the routine of studying those long hours if I wait. Suggestions?

And it's not as if I can say I'd like to do both. I think that makes me seem as if I haven't thought about this.
You'll only have one chance to be a professional athlete. You'll have the rest of your life to become a doctor.

e: one chance if you're really lucky... I had to give up on that plan bc I got surgery right after college... still wish I could go back.