The 2006 graduating batch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quant

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have come across in the forums previously that in 2006 two batches shall be graduating simultaneously (from the 5 year program and the 4 year program)

First of all, is it true?......If it is true, how shall it affect the current residents (work load etc) and also, what does it mean for incoming students? (Are there more positions open??)

It would be great to know what the current residents think about it! (Any insider info is welcome!.... :) )

Im sure a lot of us applying for 2006 would be curious to know about it......

Members don't see this ad.

I think the biggest effect is on fellowships. A lot of programs had their residents do a fifth year as a surg path fellow, whereas now one will have to apply to get a surg path fellowship. It doesn't seem to be going to change things much here - the fellows basically take some of the work off of the attendings and are there to learn. It has meant, at some places, that they have the same # of residency positions, which means they are adding more to the incoming classes. But I don't know if that's universal.