The 90's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scarne1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have tried searching these forums as well as the web trying to find out exactly what happened in the 90's. I keep hearing all this mention to the 90's and I know there was a job shortage but could someone give me an explanation of what took place and why?? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have gathered it was more of a scare. The Clinton health plan was being talked up and the big push was primary care. People were told to stay away from specialties in general and supposedly there was to be less surgery and more preventative maintenance. Groups slowed or stopped hiring in wake of the scare and a job 'shortage' existed. Numbers of US grads matching anesthesia fell to in the 100's. For those that did take the risk, obviously they got great training as they could pick and choose residencies, and they are now making it up big time with huge salaries, bonuses and mega time off. At least this is what I was told by a 90's era attending who lived through this stuff.

One of our attendings also mentioned what you stated about the '90's. To get an idea of the kind of money that those who stayed with the profession made, I recall having a conversation with him regarding his possible retirement and off hand he stated "you know, after you make $10,000,000 in your career, do you really have to keep going?" Given that his career lasted 12 years in private practice and 8 in academics, that works out to a pretty hefty $500,000/year.

In a way, that is why I am no longer concerned with people trying to bash our profession. If they don't want to do it, it's more jobs for those that do.

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup:

As always, an excellent post! Makes me glad to be an anesthesiologist.

Thanks for the info. There were so many references being made but no clear explanation. I appreciate the responses. It amazes me how much the medical profession responds to future projections.

scarne1 said:
I have tried searching these forums as well as the web trying to find out exactly what happened in the 90's. I keep hearing all this mention to the 90's and I know there was a job shortage but could someone give me an explanation of what took place and why?? Thanks!

Whole lot of things went on then, and started in the 80's.

Lots of CRNA programs closed, many of them hospital based and unable to offer a degree when most programs were becoming degree-granting.

Anesthesia residency went from 3 to 4 years.

Decreasing supply of anesthetists.

Short-term increase in anesthesiologists, then a ballooning of types and numbers of surgical procedures, particularly with the advent of laparoscopic surgery (beyond tubal ligations).

Increasing numbers of baby boomers require more surgery.