The Aged Psychologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

neuropsyance

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone, long time no see.

I've been wondering, as I don't see many older clinical psychologists around(well, at least "I" don't), is it harder to get a job when you get older in our profession?
 
My first-ever clinical supervisor was 89 years young. She was wonderful. She passed away a few months ago well into her 90s, and there were so many psychologists, psychiatrists, and other professionals there to honor her. I hope I'm that vital when I reach my 80s and 90s.😉
 
That's good to hear, and sorry about the passing.

I just feel like the only place I see older psychologists is acadamea. I guess I just want to remain employable, as I feel like I'll never retire (because I couldn't imagine having so little to do! I need to work!)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think that's one of the great things about this field, it's not like being a bricklayer, or something where a person is limited due to physical conditions (in the majority of cases at least).

Many of the psychologists in goverment positions, that I have witnessed, are older, because they hope to get in their 30 years.
 
Yeah. I think a lot of the older psychologists are out there in private practice and/or supervising. The woman I mentioned in my earlier post saw a few patients up until she was like 90 yrs old. She actually wrote an interesting journal article about transference she encountered as an elderly therapist. Amazingly, she did not graduate from analytic training until she was like 60 years old!

Feel free to look her up -- her name is Helen Strauss, Ph.D. I think that article may be posted online somewhere...
 
Hello everyone, long time no see.

I've been wondering, as I don't see many older clinical psychologists around(well, at least "I" don't), is it harder to get a job when you get older in our profession?

Don't tell Beck that! He doesn't know he's older.

Mark
 
The well known Edith Kaplan just passed away this past September, she was in her 90s i think. Ralph Reitan is also well into his 80s and still active despite relativity poor health. There is also a relatively well known neuropsychologist names Roland Parker who is still active in forensic practice. Not sure of his age, but he got his ph.d in the mid 50s according to his vita.

I have also met quite a few older psychologists, at my VA prac last year there were several psychs still on staff who were in their 70s.