The Anatomy Prerequisite

Started by Feniche
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Feniche

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all--

I am a University of Florida graduate and I am applying to pharmacy school for fall 2011.

My question is about the anatomy perquisite required by most pharmacy schools.

I never took "human anatomy" but I took ZOO3713C(functional vertebrate anatomy) which is accepted at the UF college of pharmacy for filling their anatomy requirement.

Basically, I am sort of worried that other schools will accept that course as to meet the prequisite requirement, even though it is VERY difficult and advanced course compared to basic human anatomy.

I am curious if anyone out there is familiar with other pharmacy schools accepting ZOO anatomy classes to meet anatomy requirements? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
 
Hi all--

I am a University of Florida graduate and I am applying to pharmacy school for fall 2011.

My question is about the anatomy perquisite required by most pharmacy schools.

I never took "human anatomy" but I took ZOO3713C(functional vertebrate anatomy) which is accepted at the UF college of pharmacy for filling their anatomy requirement.

Basically, I am sort of worried that other schools will accept that course as to meet the prequisite requirement, even though it is VERY difficult and advanced course compared to basic human anatomy.

I am curious if anyone out there is familiar with other pharmacy schools accepting ZOO anatomy classes to meet anatomy requirements? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Do you mean "will not"? Some schools probably will accept it if the course description is similar to their own. Plus, you can always call the admissions office to get a definite answer. Good luck!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Best bet would be to check with the pharmacy schools you are interested in instead of assuming. I did that earlier in the app cycle for UoP and managed to work something out with the school (took the wrong course back in the day).
 
Definitely check with the school.

I have run into issues because I took "Human Anatomy" at one school and "Animal Physiology" at a separate school. While my "Animal Physiology" course solely focused on Human Physiology, I am having MAJOR problems with some schools in terms of accepting the course as an acceptable alternative even though I have the course syllabus and the exams that I took in the class.
 
I'm going to agree with the consensus here. Definitely check with the schools you plan on applying too. It's just a quick email.


I took Human Anatomy, but I have to take Mammalian Physiology because that's all that is offered at my university. All the schools I applied to were fine with it, but they did want to see the course number and description.
 
I think that's very interesting that UF took ZOO3713C in place of APK2100C. I took both and they were pretty different from each other.
 
For pre-pharmacy will Anatomy and Physiology be helpful for pharmacy school? It's a pre-requisite for pharmacy school but not sure how helpful it might be because it's Anatomy and Physiology together. I would think a Physiology course itself would be helpful, but the class is also harder and might hurt my gpa. and you guys think just fullfilling the pre-requisites is good enough to do well? What else science course not in pre-req do you think might help alot?
 
For pre-pharmacy will Anatomy and Physiology be helpful for pharmacy school? It's a pre-requisite for pharmacy school but not sure how helpful it might be because it's Anatomy and Physiology together. I would think a Physiology course itself would be helpful, but the class is also harder and might hurt my gpa. and you guys think just fullfilling the pre-requisites is good enough to do well? What else science course not in pre-req do you think might help alot?

I don't really understand what you're asking. If it's a pre-requisite, you have to take it. Work hard in it so it won't hurt your GPA. Other classes that aren't pre-reqs that pharmacy schools like to see are biochemistry, genetics, medical terminology, ethics courses, etc.