The Animal-Cruelty Syndrome-- Article

Started by der2002
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Very interesting. I'm glad that people are starting to think about this stuff.

Now if only they would make a show combining Animal Cops and Bones...
 
Owning a pit bull is gang-like activity?

I think they were saying (however poorly) that they were keeping dogs for fighting and doing other gang-like things. I don't think they meant to imply that just having a pit bull is a gang-y. Or maybe they did. 😛
 
Owning a pit bull is gang-like activity?

Chillax.

It reads "keeping of pit bulls." In a vacant house. And yes, that IS a gang-like activity.

If the article were about a recently homeless family squatting in a vacant home with their children and dogs, your take would make more sense. But in context, it's clearly not a swipe at pit bulls.
 
Now if only they would make a show combining Animal Cops and Bones...

Reading the article now, but Animal Witness is the closest I've seen to this. However, it's not specifically about finding who committed animal cruelty and whatnot. They did have an episode on Michael Vick though.

ETA: That is a really good article. Thanks for posting it!
 
Last edited:
while this article was written for the general public (and is currently the 10th most emailed article on the nytimes website), I linked it here because I felt it was important for us future vets to have a heightened ability to recognize signs of animal cruelty and abuse (especially if you are going to practice in a large, urban environment) and learn to work alongside law enforcement and the community to educate and prevent such abuses.