The Best Clubs Extracurriculars in Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnbv4184

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have suggestions on which clubs or extracurriculars look good to residency programs and are great resume/CV boosters?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Extracurriculars? What the heck are those ;)

Save research and AOA there are not a whole lot... I would recommend something you are really interested in since you'll be more enthusiastic about it when talking during interviews. If you want to do something that will really stand out, be prepared to have your grades take a dive. It's a balance, and grades should always win.

Unlike undergrad, ECs really just are for fun and the sake of interest. I'm on a college of medicine focus team and am a class officer (IT/Library..random position I know). I do both because I wanted to contribute somehow. Other than that, I go to a few interest groups because....I'm interested in exploring specialities.

Dont forget the MOST important reason for attending any EC meetings....

FREE PIZZA!

I felt bad for one of the club presidents for walking out after grabbing free Subway. But then again, the flyer never said you had to sit and listen so...:smuggrin:

The Stumble Inn in New York is probably more of a bar than a club per se, but I definitely think it's a good extracurricular.

Looks good on the CV too.

Residency programs don't care about extracurricular activities. Your grades and board scores are the main criteria for residency selection. There is no extra curricular, including research that will offset a poor USMLE score or grades. You could win a Nobel prize and not be able to match in Derm if you don't have the grades/board scores. Concentrate on your studies and you will have more choices in terms of specialty selection.

Nobel Prize and not match into derm? Hahhaha unnecessary argument, I guess, but I think that if your grades and board scores weren't that bad...the Nobel Prize would go pretty far. Hospitals and schools love bragging about how many Nobel laureates they have...plus that probably means you've published a ton or at least in some significant journal...which often (I thought) offsets less than stellar board scores.

Free Netter for us with AMSA.... probably one of the only ones I'll join.

Dont forget the MOST important reason for attending any EC meetings....

FREE PIZZA!

I felt bad for one of the club presidents for walking out after grabbing free Subway. But then again, the flyer never said you had to sit and listen so...:smuggrin:

Lol. That's happening this week here as all the clubs do their 'get to know us' lunches. Sorry, AMSA, you weren't careful enough about when you opened up the pizza.

[distracted by delicious toppings]

The military tends to have the best food though.