The best DO school in town ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crieka

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think WVSOM is pretty good, but how about Touro-CA one? if you get accepted into both which one would you go? How about other schools? help me out please.

Members don't see this ad.

crieka said:
I think WVSOM is pretty good, but how about Touro-CA one? if you get accepted into both which one would you go? How about other schools? help me out please.

The best one is the one that best fits your own criteria for what you want out of a medical education. HunterGatherer has compiled a great list of criteria for considering which school is your best fit. This can be found within the FAQ. I know it sounds generic, but research the schools, go on interviews, and attend the one you feel best fits your needs. Everyone will tell you their top choices, and everyone's are different. Current students will most likely tell you their school is the best. But in all honesty, it comes down to where you feel comfortable. This is how I'm approaching the whole admissions process, although, I do have my own set of top choices based on what little I can gather about the schools without a visit. But I wouldn't enter the process with tunnel vision for one or two schools. Could lead to some serious disappointment one way or another.

Whats the reputation of Kirgsville DO school of medicine. Their requirements dont seem to be very competitive. I have a 3.1 overall and 3.2 science, have not taken the MCAT yet. Would you prefer Kirgville or a respectfull carriebean school?????

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats the reputation of Kirgsville DO school of medicine. Their requirements dont seem to be very competitive. I have a 3.1 overall and 3.2 science, have not taken the MCAT yet. Would you prefer Kirgville or a respectfull carriebean school?????

Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCOM) is the origin of osteopathic (DO) medicine. It was the first of its kind. So I think its reputation is pretty good, to say the least...

I don't know what requirements you are referring to but it is most likely the minimum requirements. That doesn't mean if you are above the minimum requirement, it is easy to get in. After all, even allopathic (MD) schools usually only have a 3.0 GPA requirement, but that doesn't mean it's easy to get in. All medical schools are competitive and get thousands of applicants for a hundred or so spots.

Personally, I would take Kirksville -- or any osteopathic school for that matter -- over a Carribbean Medical School any day. You'll find that on pre-DO this is a pretty common sentiment whereas on the carribbean board you'll find people who feel differently.

You'll need to research both to see what's best for you, though.

TUCOM 2nd year student here.

Why we rock:

Best professors.
Best City in the country - SF
Smart, Engaged Students
Rad OMM dept.

To answer your title, the best school in town depends on what town you're in.

The best school is the one you get in to!