The best premed route

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jason Mcguire

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any community college in the inland empire that offers premed? Also are there any medical assistants or dental hygienets that are still in school to become a Dr. I need something to get out of my parents house but still study. I want to be a Dr of optometry or Doctor of osteopathic medicine or physican assistant.

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you have your mind in a lot of different places. Remember that becoming a doctor takes a serious commitment, so it would be best to do some more research and figure out which path you'd like to take. A good place to start may be a community college, depending on your financial situation. There you'd be able to get started on your gen eds. Eventually you will have to transfer to a four-year university and earn a bachelors degree. "Pre-med" can basically be offered anywhere, because it's not so much a major as it is a sequence of prerequisites that you'll be taking in your course of study. You could always visit schools in your area and meet with an adviser to get a better idea. So with that being said...

You'll need to do extremely well in your classes. The higher you can go on your science GPA as well as your cumulative GPA, the better. (We're talking no less than a 3.5, especially in Cali). You don't necessarily have to choose a Science major, but you will have to take some science courses, especially chemistry, organic chemistry, biology and physics. The prerequisite requirements and recommendations vary by school, but those are generally required everywhere. You'll really want to develop solid study skills right off the bat, because they will only help you later on. Also, get to know your science professors. You'll need letters of recommendation later.

Look into doing some volunteer work, both in and out of the medical field. Try to get involved in any clubs or anything that interest you as well. Medical schools love well-rounded people. Just make sure none of it takes away from your studies, because GPA gets you in the door... Without the numbers, they won't even talk to you!

Possibly talk to a couple of physicians and see if you can do some observation/shadowing. Make sure it's something that you're actually interested in before you get too far in the process. It's a lot of blood, sweat and tears (figuratively speaking) just to find out later that it isn't what you want to do.

But going back to what I said earlier... Think about it. Make sure your mind is right about becoming a physician. A lot of people think they want it but aren't willing to put in the work. So if you're serious about it... See above.

Good luck! Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
It sounds like you have your mind in a lot of different places. Remember that becoming a doctor takes a serious commitment, so it would be best to do some more research and figure out which path you'd like to take. A good place to start may be a community college, depending on your financial situation. There you'd be able to get started on your gen eds. Eventually you will have to transfer to a four-year university and earn a bachelors degree. "Pre-med" can basically be offered anywhere, because it's not so much a major as it is a sequence of prerequisites that you'll be taking in your course of study. You could always visit schools in your area and meet with an adviser to get a better idea. So with that being said...

You'll need to do extremely well in your classes. The higher you can go on your science GPA as well as your cumulative GPA, the better. (We're talking no less than a 3.5, especially in Cali). You don't necessarily have to choose a Science major, but you will have to take some science courses, especially chemistry, organic chemistry, biology and physics. The prerequisite requirements and recommendations vary by school, but those are generally required everywhere. You'll really want to develop solid study skills right off the bat, because they will only help you later on. Also, get to know your science professors. You'll need letters of recommendation later.

Look into doing some volunteer work, both in and out of the medical field. Try to get involved in any clubs or anything that interest you as well. Medical schools love well-rounded people. Just make sure none of it takes away from your studies, because GPA gets you in the door... Without the numbers, they won't even talk to you!

Possibly talk to a couple of physicians and see if you can do some observation/shadowing. Make sure it's something that you're actually interested in before you get too far in the process. It's a lot of blood, sweat and tears (figuratively speaking) just to find out later that it isn't what you want to do.

But going back to what I said earlier... Think about it. Make sure your mind is right about becoming a physician. A lot of people think they want it but aren't willing to put in the work. So if you're serious about it... See above.

Good luck! Hope that helps.

Lots of good thoughts. A lot of people say that you shouldn't become a doctor unless you can't see yourself being anything else. It's a tremendous time, money, and stress commitment that if you aren't 100% dedicated to, you'll fall out of it. You should be absolutely sure it's the right choice for you. Research the different roles in medicine and find something that works for you in terms of how long you want to spend in school, salary, lifestyle, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion being a doctor is one of the better jobs unless you get offered a position to star in the next big hit somewhere in Hollywood.
The reason I say this is the other 90% of decent jobs that will get you out of your parents house involve sitting at a desk and staring at a computer all day.
I make decent money and I am in my early 20's (80K a year), but Im hoping I get some luck with medical school fast because sitting at this desk all day is killing me.

Being able to have a balance between seeing patients, going into OR rooms/labs etc/ and doing a little paper work is alot of fun. The basic science years of all medical schools is hell though .

Depending on your age you may want to chose PA over medical school because of the shorter time it takes to do more-or-less the same thing and get paid decently for it.

Hey! I am sure there are plenty of community colleges but premed isn't a major...

I attend Loma Linda University (one of the main health professions school in the Inland Empire) for my MPH in Biostats. I am also pre-D.O. LLU is a health professions school, which offers every field such as PA, dental hygenist, medical, dental, PT, OT, the list goes on and on.