The best way to approach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mleddy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a NREMT and Texas certified EMT-Intermediate (Advanced) and my life goal up until going into EMS was to be an emergency physician. I have been in the field for 2 and a half years and suddenly I have the strong urge to go back.

At this point, i am not sure if i realize that EMS in most cases can't be sustainable long term due to physical ailments (Back injuries, joint injuries) or i am just tired of walking into homes with people hanging from a noose, or stepping on brain matter in order to reach my patient but regardless i know i need to pursue something immediately before i get trapped.

I am 1-2 semesters from having my associates degree in para medicine, so my question is, should i just finish out that degree and then continue on to get my bachelors degree in applied science? or is there some kind of bridge from LP to RN and then to MD?

If there is some link that kind of lay out what classes i need to ensure i have in order to go the more "traditional" pre-med route that would be fantastic.

I really just need general guidance on where to go from here, any response/help would be most appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

There is no direct bridge from RN to MD. If you want to go to medical school you will need to get a bachelor's degree first. You can major in anything you want as long as you get good grades. Take the usual prerequisite classes, general chem, organic, biology and physics, all with labs. I think Texas schools want an additional year of biology, so take that too.

I'm also an NREMT, currently finishing up a paramedic program here in Florida. I haven't had any paid field experience but I have completed several hundred hours in internship. I know how you feel when you say you don't want to be trapped in EMS and having to deal with the less desirable encounters, I don't either. If your that close to the AA I would suggest you finish it because it probably allows auto-acceptance into any state university (not familiar with Texas, is so in Fl). As previous responder said, no direct bridge to M.D. or D.O., you must have a bachelors degree but which one is somewhat irrelevant; you must have the prereqs though. For what it's worth, I'm going to be an ER medic while I finish my undergraduate classes and await applying to DO programs, maybe you could transfer to a hospital medic position while you go back to school?

Last edited: