The Brain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arpitpatel86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so on the schaum's bio book......it says that the medulla oblongata controls breathing, blood pressure, and heart rate.
then it goes on to say that hypothalmus controls such crucial parameters as HEART RATE, BLOOD PRESSURE, and body temp......

so which one controls heart rate and bp.....hypothalmus or medulla oblongata?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure they are both involved with the regulation of breathing, heart rate, etc.

I think this is how it works.

The hypothalamus synthesizes neurohormones which are neurotransmitters that will either excite or inhibit certain physiological processes that will in turn affect your breathing, heart rate, etc. The medulla oblongata comes into play by relaying those signals/neurotransmitters to presynpatic terminals in a cell that will alter the metabolic activity of certain processes in the body. Hope that helps a bit! :D

Good answer... basically, they both play a role! Pretty sure the brainstem (medulla oblongata) has more to do with autonomic functions.

P.S. Neurotransmitters do not inhibit/excite, it all depends on the receptor. My neuro prof POUNDED that into us.. but some books say otherwise.