1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

The Brain

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by arpitpatel86, May 15, 2008.

1. arpitpatel86

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    so on the schaum's bio book......it says that the medulla oblongata controls breathing, blood pressure, and heart rate.
    then it goes on to say that hypothalmus controls such crucial parameters as HEART RATE, BLOOD PRESSURE, and body temp......

so which one controls heart rate and bp.....hypothalmus or medulla oblongata?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. xaznxcountx

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'm pretty sure they are both involved with the regulation of breathing, heart rate, etc.

I think this is how it works.

The hypothalamus synthesizes neurohormones which are neurotransmitters that will either excite or inhibit certain physiological processes that will in turn affect your breathing, heart rate, etc. The medulla oblongata comes into play by relaying those signals/neurotransmitters to presynpatic terminals in a cell that will alter the metabolic activity of certain processes in the body. Hope that helps a bit! :D

4. Neuro178

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Good answer... basically, they both play a role! Pretty sure the brainstem (medulla oblongata) has more to do with autonomic functions.

P.S. Neurotransmitters do not inhibit/excite, it all depends on the receptor. My neuro prof POUNDED that into us.. but some books say otherwise.