The Brigham & Women's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyabe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering for those current residents at B&W, and for those who have interviewed there in the past, what do/did you think? Is it a solid program given all the hype? What's the situation with call frequency, faculty devotion to teaching, resident camaraderie, vacation time, and research/fellowship opportunities? Are most of the residents single, married, or is there a good mix? Any comparisons with the other Boston programs would be great, too. Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

Also, when you look at Frieda, Mass and BID have something like an average of 55-60 hours/ week whereas Brigham has 70-75. Is this accurate? I know that most residents pick up moonlighting on Saturdays - is this why the average hours is 70-75 or is it just that much more than Mass and BID per extra call, etc?

Speaking with a few residents, they regularly work until 7pm if not later (and I made sure to clarify that they were NOT on any type of call whatsoever). Didactics consist of 10 questions your study group exchanges. From what I hear now though is B&W actually trains SRNA's!!! They are given equivalent weight in the case pool and get crani's, vascular cases, thoracic cases, etc. It's pretty obvious where the department's priorities lie (not education, but bodies to cover cases at the cheapest cost $$$). These same SRNA's will someday graduate (with a Northeastern University degree) but consider themselves trained at Harvard and equivalent to YOU. The sell-out administrators at B&W should be ashamed of themselves. On the flip side, the residents there seemed like a personable group.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, when you look at Frieda, Mass and BID have something like an average of 55-60 hours/ week whereas Brigham has 70-75. Is this accurate? I know that most residents pick up moonlighting on Saturdays - is this why the average hours is 70-75 or is it just that much more than Mass and BID per extra call, etc?

BUMP. Does anyone else have any comments on this? I liked the Brigham but am somewhat concerned about the huge discrepancy in hours... Any current residents care to comment? :D

Hi, long time listener, first time caller. I would love to hear more about BWH anesthesia work hours (even though rank lists are due tomorrow :) I'd be grateful if anyone in the know would mind posting or PMing me (how do you do that?)