The Case "write about anything" essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maestro1625

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone else picking a rather random subject here? I couldnt decide what to do for this, so I just said "f--- it" and decided to write about my love-hate relationship with the World Cup. It may not be a social justice thing or whatnot, but hey, I've had fun writing this. I actually threw out a previous essay about the dwindling inspiration that science has had on american society.

Members don't see this ad.

maestro1625 said:
anyone else picking a rather random subject here? I couldnt decide what to do for this, so I just said "f--- it" and decided to write about my love-hate relationship with the World Cup. It may not be a social justice thing or whatnot, but hey, I've had fun writing this. I actually threw out a previous essay about the dwindling inspiration that science has had on american society.

The more random, the better, as far as I'm concerned (although I'm not applying there). In my opinion, an essay about some random topic such as yours would be far more likely to set you apart in a way that the admissions committee would be interested in meeting you, and that's really what it's all about.

maestro1625 said:

That prompt sounds awesome...I wish some of my secondaries used that one >). I have a million and one things I could go on and on about!

Members don't see this ad :)
my strategy is to try to be remembered by them, the weirder the better. :thumbup:

maestro1625 said:

Wow, that was Case's essay for undergrad too. I worked in the undergrad admission office for my entire undergraduate career, and in that office at least they liked hearing random things. As a previous poster says, it makes your app stand out. This is definitely not something to over-analyze; just write about something you love. (or love/hate, as is the case with the OP :) )

maestro1625 said:

I had enough of writing serious secondary essays so I too looked at this as an opportunity to have some fun. I wrote about fourwheeling and tried to make it a funny/interesting story. The only problem is I didn't submit the secondary for 3 weeks. Hopefully that won't knock me out of the running.

i wrote about juvenile felons, and the problems they face in the prison system. Doubt anyone else wrote about that.

Well, this one time, in band camp....
:laugh:

chaeymaey said:
You wrote about that too?!

I couldn't think of anything else! *high five* :laugh:

What is sad is that I play flute. I really shouldn't make that joke.

Out of curiosity, what is your love-hate relationship with the world cup? My hatred is directed straight toward Bruce Arena and the teary-eyed Landon Donovan, and now toward Zizou, who seriously broke my heart with that little temper tantrum...but I'll forgive him.

I love Cristiano Ronaldo and hate Branko Ivanovic for screwing Iran over. That bastard.

If you want to be lazy, just port an essay you wrote for another secondary topic that you think is nice.

maestro1625 said:

I agree with the posters who advise something random, but I would also try to choose something that reveals who you are, something formative. Write well and make it interesting to read. The World Cup essay is a bit frivolous but since it is about your experiences I think you are on the right track.

My Case essay was about how radio shaped my life. My dad was a broadcaster and I grew up following him around the radio station. Very random, but it succeeded in getting me an interview and admission to Case.

Good luck. Case is a great school.

I wrote about my passion for food. :)

I don't know how much impact it had, but I got an interview and acceptance (and eventual scholarship).

If had a topic like this, I would write about a love-hate relationship, too, but about F1 racing. I love how it is regarded among most as the pinnacle of technology in racing. I also love the amount of diversity and culture among the teams, drivers, and countries that they visit (Brazil, Japan, China, US, Canada, Spain, etc). I HATE the management. They're in charge of one of most viewed sports in the world. Every race has hundreds of millions of viewers tune in and the two big wigs, Max and Bernie, keep messing things up. They don't take much into fan suggestions like NASCAR does and F1 isn't fan friendly. They keep changing rules because they don't know what else to do with their time.

i.e. A couple weeks ago BMW Sauber asked the FIA if they could use a new aero package at the French GP (picture here, white car twin fins on nose: http://www.motorsport.com/photos/f1/2006/fra/f1-2006-fra-xp-0835.jpg ). They asked for permission and they received it. They ran it at the French GP. About a week ago, the FIA changes its mind and BANS it, wtf??? Now they're trying to ban a ballast system run by Renault in which a liquid filled cavity has a mass in the middle that reduces movement when hoping curbs. It's similar to what tall buildings use to reduce flex. The FIA approved it before, then tons of R&D went into refining it, now they want to ban it. The ironic part is that the FIA is trying to reduce costs, which isn't happening. Sorry for the rant, but this is what I'd talk about.

chaeymaey said:
I love Cristiano Ronaldo and hate Branko Ivanovic for screwing Iran over. That bastard.

I'm not exactly sure how one can love Ronaldo. He was probably the only player in the WC who acted like a bigger baby than landon donovan, and that takes A LOT of effort.