The corrupt scum at WebMD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TDX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was killing some time by looking around online, and I stumbled upon MedicineNet, a website owned by WebMD.

As it happens, there are tests on that site. For example, a test about fibromyalgia, funded by Eli Lilly - which sells Cymbalta, an SNRI used against fibromyalgia and advertised extensively on WebMD as well as the very same page the test is on.

Quite shady, right? It gets worse.

I took the test. Since I am in no pain whatsoever, I answered `no` to every single question.

The result?

Reclaim Your Life
Fibromyalgia can interfere with your daily life.
In addition to chronic pain, fibromyalgia can cause anxiety, fatigue, even depression, making it hard to do the things you like to do. To reclaim your life, talk to your doctor about medications and lifestyle changes that can help ease your fibromyalgia symptoms.

So basically, they're telling people with no symptoms whatsoever to ask their doctor for meds against a disease they don't have, while "subtly" pointing them towards the meds they should ask for.

And apparently they do it more often, as this psychiatrist points out.

Members don't see this ad.