The cost of interviewing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jamtero

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how much you guys are estimating to drop down in plane tickets/hotels? I applied all over and the reality of cost is hitting me. How's everyone paying? :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I know exactly what you mean. I's broke... and I was just invited to an interview in PCO and NECO... :( ... well :) for the interview, and :( for my broke-ness.

For me, I just decided not to go to interview for NECO partly because of the cost...and decided not to follow up my PCO application (even though I paid app fees) partly because of it too

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to think of it as an investment. I think if you could somehow manage to pay for it, having options is definetly worth it.

I interviewed at 3 schools and spent around $1000; I just put in on my credit card. You may be able to save some money by looking closely where you stay. There are several hotels close to Nova that would drive you around (airport-hotel-school-airport) on their shuttle bus for free. For my SCO and UHCO interviews it was cheaper (or just as much) to stay not so close to the school and rent a car, rather than stay close to the schools and having to pay for taxi. Priceline.com was a great tool, I got a $209 hotel room in Houston for $60.

jamtero said:
I was just wondering how much you guys are estimating to drop down in plane tickets/hotels? I applied all over and the reality of cost is hitting me. How's everyone paying? :scared:

Yeah, it definitely is expensive to go to various interviews. How have I managed to pay for it? Honestly, my parents helped me out a lot. They were more than willing to pay for plane flights, I just had to pay the rest (hotel, food, and rental cars). So, instead of putting all that on my credit card, my parents paid the funds, and I am paying them back gradually. I thought it was a pretty good deal. Never doubt the parents! Also, I cut back on a couple of interviews after being accepted to higher priority schools on my list.

Use priceline.com for plane tickets as well. They may be weird hours, but you will save lots of money. I got a ticket from Houston to philly for under 200$ when at the time they were going for $300+. Although my flight was 6 in the morning, it was worth it for saving that much money. Make sure u have a flexible schedule though. Travel a day early and leave a day later.