The Count Down

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Red823

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We have now approximately 30 days until THE DAY....

Question: What are you guys doing to pass the time ?

Me: i've already marked a nice little spot just seconds distance away from my mailbox. Got my tent up and ready for the day the mailman comes with big juicy envelopes. :D ...(Already got all my phone calls forwarded to my cell. The cell is already plastered next to my ear ! )

Members don't see this ad.

I am building my friend Frankstein

no just kiddin

I am building a cDNA library, really tedious and long hours, I have not time to think about dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to determine whether the longitudinal velocity spread of gas atoms in a particular supersonic beam will be sufficient to blur the interference fringes in an interferometer (made with crystals to serve as the reflection "gratings" and largely ignoring zeroth-order specular signal if possible) built for these atoms such that the Rayleigh criterion is no longer met and it wouldn't be worth doing. Also just working through the simple problem of why a white-light optical interferometer displays one set of fringes in the image plane despite the diversity of wavelengths present in the source. Something to do with the re-convergence of waves diffracted into multiple orders from the grating, perhaps, but I still need to work it out on paper to be sure. :mad:

Oh, and did I mention checking my mail constantly, even though it isn't even time yet? :oops:

I watch the grass grow because that is one of many things that I won't have time to do while in dental school. Seriously - I just work and one day mindlessly blends into the next.

trypmo said:
I'm trying to determine whether the longitudinal velocity spread of gas atoms in a particular supersonic beam will be sufficient to blur the interference fringes in an interferometer (made with crystals to serve as the reflection "gratings" and largely ignoring zeroth-order specular signal if possible) built for these atoms such that the Rayleigh criterion is no longer met and it wouldn't be worth doing. Also just working through the simple problem of why a white-light optical interferometer displays one set of fringes in the image plane despite the diversity of wavelengths present in the source. Something to do with the re-convergence of waves diffracted into multiple orders from the grating, perhaps, but I still need to work it out on paper to be sure. :mad:

Oh, and did I mention checking my mail constantly, even though it isn't even time yet? :oops:

I made some pretty awesome corn muffins and meatloaf yesterday. Tomorrow, I'm gonna make some oatmeal cookies. Cooking is really fun when you're not in school or on some insane schedule.

Oh yeah, I'm also working on another manuscript. Just need to fix the format and get co-authors' approval.

Literati81 said:
I made some pretty awesome corn muffins and meatloaf yesterday. Tomorrow, I'm gonna make some oatmeal cookies. Cooking is really fun when you're not in school or on some insane schedule.
Will you offer those to your new patients? :D

Literati81 said:

Oh yeah, I'm also working on another manuscript. Just need to fix the format and get co-authors' approval.

How about offerring some to us SDNers? :p

Literati81 said:

Oooh, yum! Oatmeal cookies are my favorite. Please share with SDN!! And congrats on the manuscript! (for a paper or a book?) :D

I'm in the process of planning my acceptance party :hardy: ... any recommendations?

DDS2BE said:
I'm in the process of planning my acceptance party :hardy: ... any recommendations?
Buy tons of Kleenex.

Sprgrover said:
I watch the grass grow because that is one of many things that I won't have time to do while in dental school. Seriously - I just work and one day mindlessly blends into the next.

I hear you on that. I would rather be in school than working! :rolleyes:

I sold my VR6 2001 jetta and bought a 95 jeep wrangler. Its really fun to work on and i plan on going camping and doing some 4x4 soon too :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all. Long time lurker here, first time poster...

I check the mailbox... about 40 times a day. And it's only November.

I made friends with my postman so that maybe, just maybe, he'll come to my building first on THAT DAY.

I have dreams of thin envelopes chasing me down streets...
From the sidewalks, people scream stuff at me like, "Tell me about yourself!" ... "Why do you want to be a dentist?!"... (ok not really...)

I just honestly try to keep myself busy with schoolwork. Luckily my professors have been very accomodating and give me tons of stuff to do. :laugh:

As of November 9th, I will be busy playing Halo 2. Not even December 1st will stop me. I will place a Do Not Disturb sign on my mailbox. Dental schools that call will just have to leave a message for me, which I shall return at my leisure.

StL_to_Boston said:
I have dreams of thin envelopes chasing me down streets...
From the sidewalks, people scream stuff at me like, "Tell me about yourself!" ... "Why do you want to be a dentist?!"... (ok not really...)
I love it! :laugh:

Typo said:
As of November 9th, I will be busy playing Halo 2. Not even December 1st will stop me. I will place a Do Not Disturb sign on my mailbox. Dental schools that call will just have to leave a message for me, which I shall return at my leisure.

LOL I think I am going to through myself into my FFXI! Just so I want be worrying about it!

ah
ah
ah
ah
stayin' alive
stayin' alive
ah
ah
ah
ah
stayin' aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive...

(this thread, specifically)

As some of you know, the true countdown is just under 4 days. December 1st? Pfffft.

Saving the galaxy is a time consuming business. Especially when you are constantly being owned by a little school girl and a quaker.

DrTacoElf said:
I sold my VR6 2001 jetta and bought a 95 jeep wrangler. Its really fun to work on and i plan on going camping and doing some 4x4 soon too :cool:

Dr. Taco... i think ur on crack!!! did u sell ur VR6 jetta because u wanted too, or cuz somebody forced u??? cuz if u did it cuz u want too.... haha jkin, but thats an awesome car! i've always wanted a VR6 and hopefully i'll buy an R32 when i got some money..

omar

hey somebody mentioned that they were excited about halo 2, well dont be. it is totally newbed out as far as multiplayer goes. i hate it there is no pistal and there is just a bunch of chaos and no strategy. all the guns seem to be like a launcher and so if you ever play halo with infinite launchers and you enjoy it well then u will love halo 2, but i hate to point out the obvious that you must be a "NEWB".

I played Halo 2 last night with 11 other guys. It was different than 1, and we reverted back to playing the original Halo. However, I imagine it's just a matter of getting used to the play. Give it some time.

I don't know what Halo is. Nor what Halo II is.

I'm not really upset about that fact, I don't think... :laugh:

qaztake82 said:
hey somebody mentioned that they were excited about halo 2, well dont be. it is totally newbed out as far as multiplayer goes. i hate it there is no pistal and there is just a bunch of chaos and no strategy. all the guns seem to be like a launcher and so if you ever play halo with infinite launchers and you enjoy it well then u will love halo 2, but i hate to point out the obvious that you must be a "NEWB".
I also played the game briefly with JavadiCavity last night. Most of the guys there seemed to be opposed to Halo 2 simply because it was different, and because they weren't familiar with the maps yet. Like JavadiCavity said, it's probably just a matter of time and getting used to the differences.

omaralt said:
Dr. Taco... i think ur on crack!!! did u sell ur VR6 jetta because u wanted too, or cuz somebody forced u??? cuz if u did it cuz u want too.... haha jkin, but thats an awesome car! i've always wanted a VR6 and hopefully i'll buy an R32 when i got some money..

omar

Hey it was a pretty fun car. I had a GIAC chip program on it, magnaflow catback, diesel geek short shifter and a RAM AIR cai. The best dyno i got was 161WHP, and 181WTQ. Not bad but not all that great either. I sold it because i wanted somethign that wouldn't lose 50% of its value after 4 more years. R32s are pretty sweet. Have you seen the HPA R32 twin turbo kit that makes like 600WHP! :D

see i would be waiting the same wait you guys are doing if i had interviews.. but since my application just got sent in last week i still have to wait for interviews then start waiting for rejections

ERR life

My sister in law is manager of VW =) She hooked me up with the W8 Passat