The Decision, USC vs. Penn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrNo2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know this discussion has been posted on many other forums, but I was just wondering if people could give me their opinion about this subject.

In terms of cost both schools are about the same, so that can?t really be used as a factor. Currently I live in LA, so if I choose USC I won?t have to deal with the hassle of moving. But the thing is that I want to specialize, I am 95% sure. I have no idea how good/bad USC students perform on the boards. I know Penn?s average is usually very high.

I am totally lost and have a few more days to make a decision. Please help! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isnt USC a lot more expensive than penn? I was under the impression that USC was even more expensive than NYU (cost of living included).:confused:

Well, USC is problem based learning.
Penn is traditional.
PBL doesnt work for everyone. You really have to be a self-motivated person. I think this is the major determinant. Could you cope with PBL? And also, USC has a class size of 144. (not sure about Penn).

Of cos, weather wise, LA wins.

USC is actually like $10,000 a year more than Penn, which is quite a bit. Our class size is between 100-110. The weather def beats out Phillys. But if you want to specialize Penn has the best specialization rates in the country next to Uconn and Harvard. 14 in Ortho this year, and 12 into Oral surgery, I dont know about the other numbers.