The demand for pharmacist *the facts and figures*

Started by dreezy10
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
10 years with only oil, pads, and a muffler?!? Have fun when your timing belt snaps and your valves crash into the pistons.

Hate to burst your bubble buddy but Toyota hasn't used timing belts in it's high volume cars such as the camry for ten years now. When the 2.2 liter 5s-fe was phased out in 2001 the new 2.4 liter variant was designed to have a timing chain (can easily last 300-500k or more miles) and Nissan has used timing chains in much of it's lineup since the 90s (think sr20 and 2.4 liter from the 240sx, the only exception would be the VG30 series of the 300zx/maxima). Personally I have ovened 4 Lexus and 7 toyotas and have done nothing to all of them other than tires oil and brakes. Also I have a mustang that has required only the above routine maint as well. Come to think of it, of the 50+ cars I've owned, very few have required much mechanical attention (though I have done upgrades and things like retrofitting the ac to R134a, etc). Maybe that's why shops have to charge 500 bucks to change/clean EGR valves, etc
 
Hate to burst your bubble buddy but Toyota hasn't used timing belts in it's high volume cars such as the camry for ten years now.

The dealerships need to make money off people, leave him to think he should do everything the dealership tells him to do.
 
Hate to burst your bubble buddy but Toyota hasn't used timing belts in it's high volume cars such as the camry for ten years now. When the 2.2 liter 5s-fe was phased out in 2001 the new 2.4 liter variant was designed to have a timing chain (can easily last 300-500k or more miles) and Nissan has used timing chains in much of it's lineup since the 90s (think sr20 and 2.4 liter from the 240sx, the only exception would be the VG30 series of the 300zx/maxima). Personally I have ovened 4 Lexus and 7 toyotas and have done nothing to all of them other than tires oil and brakes. Also I have a mustang that has required only the above routine maint as well. Come to think of it, of the 50+ cars I've owned, very few have required much mechanical attention (though I have done upgrades and things like retrofitting the ac to R134a, etc). Maybe that's why shops have to charge 500 bucks to change/clean EGR valves, etc

I've only wrenched on OBD1 cars. Too poor to upgrade till I get out of pharm school. Why the 50+ cars?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
10 years with only oil, pads, and a muffler?!? Have fun when your timing belt snaps and your valves crash into the pistons.
Some engines are non-interference... Belt snaps, inconvenient but not the end of the world. As far as Toyota the 5SFE motor for example was a non-interference motor (Camry, Celica, and MR2).
 
You somewhat answered my question. I just don't see how you can have so much vitriol for your chosen field and still be successful. But I think you clarified that pretty well. You will make a great clinical pharmacist - you already think you are better than everyone else. Good luck with that attitude my friend.

You are the delusional one if you think a living person can be replaced by CP or Lexi. I have no intention of arguing the point - some people see the glass as half full, others see it as being an unnecessary 100k liability.

😆 I said they were lazy, not dumber. I work harder than most people to do how I do. A 1:1 studying time ratio would mean that I fail. Hard. Most of the clinical pharmacists I know are really nice and enjoy that I am trying to reach beyond other students, even though I can barely use pubmed (seriously, I tried to look up metronidazole AND ethanol...is it just me, or no real articles regarding a safe time lapse?).

I always acknowledge when I am wrong or do not know something, I make it a point to keep little to no ego. The only little ego I have would be backing up a decision based on something I read. But I'm malleable.

1 AM, back to...I guess, Cardiac and Renal Systems 2.
 
😆 I said they were lazy, not dumber. I work harder than most people to do how I do. A 1:1 studying time ratio would mean that I fail. Hard. Most of the clinical pharmacists I know are really nice and enjoy that I am trying to reach beyond other students, even though I can barely use pubmed (seriously, I tried to look up metronidazole AND ethanol...is it just me, or no real articles regarding a safe time lapse?).

I always acknowledge when I am wrong or do not know something, I make it a point to keep little to no ego. The only little ego I have would be backing up a decision based on something I read. But I'm malleable.

1 AM, back to...I guess, Cardiac and Renal Systems 2.

Is pubmed an iphone app to help find bars or what?
 
I actually do my own wrenching thank you :meanie:

Hey no problem running an OBD1, if it runs good that's what counts; in fact you're prolly better off in terms of inspection requirements and EPA/emissions equip, the simpler the better. It's cool to see some mechanically inclined peeps on here. The only reason for me having owned so many cars for a guy in his 20s is that I used to buy/sell cars to make some extra $$ when I was in undergrad/pharm school. Some were just for fun and some were purely to make a buck off of. Basically I would look for good deals and if I had enough cash laying around I would also look for something fun to drive around in that I could at least break even on. If I wanted a 3000gt, 300zx, mustang, etc I would try to find a deal on one so then I could drive it a while and then sell it after a few months for a little profit. Some deals actually worked out real good, I had an eclipse GSX that I bought off a guy who thought it had elec probs, turned out to be just the alternator, which I changed out in about 45 min, I drove the car for a few months then sold it and made a 6k profit. Most of the cars I would only typically make maybe a couple grand on, but that along with a good summer job gotme thru pharm school with no debt, plus got me a decent wad of cash for a house downpayment when I graduated. Haven't done near as much car swapping now that I'm working FT though, but it sure was fun when I was flipping a bunch of cars, especially when they were ones I enjoyed driving. I'm sure when u graduate you could afford to get several cool project cars bro.
 
Some engines are non-interference... Belt snaps, inconvenient but not the end of the world. As far as Toyota the 5SFE motor for example was a non-interference motor (Camry, Celica, and MR2).

I know, those were the days, back before variable valve timing had to be added to every engine. It's a shame cuz that typically only nets a few more HP/MPG's but will ruin your valvetrain, piston heads if you get out of time
 
Hello.. Has anyone heard about studying Bpharm at Manipal, India?

Is it recognized elsewhere besides in India?
 
When they build a computer and robot that can answer absolutely ******ed questions from nurses, doctors, and patients, assess drug interactions realistically, assess the "allergies" patients report realistically and make alternative recommendations if needed, manage drug shortages, educate staff on new equipment and drugs, accurately manage anticoagulation, pharmacokinetic antibiotic dosing, and total parenteral nutrition, save the hospital thousands of dollars a week by making nurses LOOK for the $400 medication that was missing, FIX THE ROBOTS WE ALREADY USE WHEN THEY BREAK DOWN, and all the other umpteen-million things I do on a daily basis that have NOTHING to do with transferring a physicians order verbatim into an electronic record and putting my initials on a label, then maybe I would be worried. Also this robot would have to work flawlessly 24 hours a day/ 365 days a year, be ready to make critical medications on a moments notice without delay, and do all this easily enough that a completely uneducated person could update, fix, and monitor its function for my job to be in jeopardy.
Of course, I work in a hospital, but at least half of the things I mentioned apply to retail pharmacists too. On the other hand, if they had a robot that would refuse to fill controlled substances early or sell pseudoephedrine, I think my significant other would be all for it.
 
Letters July 2011
Jul 15, 2011
By: Drug Topics readers
Drug Topics
Volume 155, Issue 7
source_Drugtopics_450.jpg



icon_key_briefs.gif
Key Points


  • "Too many schools, too many students, too many student loans, not enough internships, too few jobs — it must be halted."
  • "I know that pharmacist turnover over at Walgreens is more than 'virtually nonexistent.'"
Edifice complex


Re: Fred Mayer's "Call for a moratorium on new pharmacy schools" [Dispensed as Written, June 2011]:
I am certainly in agreement that there should definitely be a moratorium on opening any more pharmacy schools in the U.S.A., until we can figure this thing out.



Obviously, there was an overestimation of the number(s) of pharmacists that would be needed by 2014. Too many schools, too many students, too many student loans, not enough internships, too few jobs — it must be halted.
Until there is reimbursement for MTM and adherence, there is no need and there will be no need to double the number of pharmacists in the U.S.A.
Ronald G. Cameron, CEO
CAMERON AND COMPANY, THE PHARMACISTS'S REGISTRY
That "virtually nonexistent" turnover
Regarding David Stanley's Viewpoint commentary in the April 2011 issue, I know that pharmacist turnover at Walgreens is more than "virtually nonexistent." Here in Arizona, the POWER debacle especially triggered a significant wave of turnover (of which I was eventually part).
Particularly galling is the practice of locking departing RPhs out of our StoreNet employee profiles, thus preventing us from completing our Exit Survey. In my opinion, Walgreens does this because it doesn't want any negative feedback about the dismal POWER program. I believe it has been particularly clever in manipulating its internal metrics to synthesize the results it want to see.
"...A central pharmacy environment allows professionals to focus on a singular task matched to their particular strengths."
This is an absolute joke. POWER pharmacists are stuck at a computer terminal situated between the consultation window and 2 to 3 cash registers (plus drive-through). There's absolutely no peace or privacy; the potential distractions are incalculable. RPhs no longer have their own personal terminals; they essentially share the register computer with technicians, interns, cross-trainers, store managers — basically, anyone who wanders through the pharmacy can enter data under the RPh's initials. The lack of professional integrity this imparts is appalling.
Anyone who points these things out to management is met with cold stares and/or blanket denial. "We don't see this, therefore it must not be happening!" is typical (possibly followed up a few weeks later with a series of manufactured disciplinary reports against the complainant).
This unprofessional work environment, coupled with the atmosphere of terror instilled by middle management, is why POWER RPhs are under "the most stress of [their] career."
Ryan X. Loukota, PharmD
TUCSON, ARIZ.



​
 
Letters July 2011
Jul 15, 2011
By: Drug Topics readers
Drug Topics
Volume 155, Issue 7
source_Drugtopics_450.jpg



icon_key_briefs.gif
Key Points


  • "Too many schools, too many students, too many student loans, not enough internships, too few jobs — it must be halted."
  • "I know that pharmacist turnover over at Walgreens is more than 'virtually nonexistent.'"
Edifice complex


Re: Fred Mayer's "Call for a moratorium on new pharmacy schools" [Dispensed as Written, June 2011]:
I am certainly in agreement that there should definitely be a moratorium on opening any more pharmacy schools in the U.S.A., until we can figure this thing out.



Obviously, there was an overestimation of the number(s) of pharmacists that would be needed by 2014. Too many schools, too many students, too many student loans, not enough internships, too few jobs — it must be halted.
Until there is reimbursement for MTM and adherence, there is no need and there will be no need to double the number of pharmacists in the U.S.A.
Ronald G. Cameron, CEO
CAMERON AND COMPANY, THE PHARMACISTS'S REGISTRY
That "virtually nonexistent" turnover
Regarding David Stanley's Viewpoint commentary in the April 2011 issue, I know that pharmacist turnover at Walgreens is more than "virtually nonexistent." Here in Arizona, the POWER debacle especially triggered a significant wave of turnover (of which I was eventually part).
Particularly galling is the practice of locking departing RPhs out of our StoreNet employee profiles, thus preventing us from completing our Exit Survey. In my opinion, Walgreens does this because it doesn't want any negative feedback about the dismal POWER program. I believe it has been particularly clever in manipulating its internal metrics to synthesize the results it want to see.
"...A central pharmacy environment allows professionals to focus on a singular task matched to their particular strengths."
This is an absolute joke. POWER pharmacists are stuck at a computer terminal situated between the consultation window and 2 to 3 cash registers (plus drive-through). There's absolutely no peace or privacy; the potential distractions are incalculable. RPhs no longer have their own personal terminals; they essentially share the register computer with technicians, interns, cross-trainers, store managers — basically, anyone who wanders through the pharmacy can enter data under the RPh's initials. The lack of professional integrity this imparts is appalling.
Anyone who points these things out to management is met with cold stares and/or blanket denial. "We don't see this, therefore it must not be happening!" is typical (possibly followed up a few weeks later with a series of manufactured disciplinary reports against the complainant).
This unprofessional work environment, coupled with the atmosphere of terror instilled by middle management, is why POWER RPhs are under "the most stress of [their] career."
Ryan X. Loukota, PharmD
TUCSON, ARIZ.

​


Post this on the pre-pharmacy forum.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad