The difference between Drs. and Pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ultracet

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This post is based on my observations and conversations with doctors, pharmacists, and lawyers.

It seems in the past (maybe not now) that medical school is highly competitive. I'm not talking about getting in, because we are all in that boat, but once you are enrolled the competition really begins. I have heard that med students and residents would knock each other down and step on the bodies inorder to better themselves. For example, making yourself look better in front of your attending by showing how much better, smarter, more Godly you are than any of your peers.

In my experience in pharmacy school it is not like that at all. They start day-one that pharmacy school is not competitive. Everyone has worked hard and had to be competitive to get there but as long as everyone makes the grades, everyone graduates.

Things may have changed in medical school but this could explain why some of the older doctors are the way they are. They were probably perfectly nice people until they were beaten to death and had to fight to survive. After all, who would go into that profession without wanting to make a difference, the money is not all that great for the torture.

Now some (maybe not all) law schools grade on "the curve." For every A there is an F, for every B there is a D....
You can have a 92 average but if that is the lowest grade in the class, you fail.
Now i don't like lawyers anymore than the next person and I think there are far too many as it is but still........

No wonder when you travel to other forums you think people are cut throat..

All of us are here to help each other and it doesn't seem to be that way in other professions.

Members don't see this ad.

It seems that your post's tone was directed more favorably towards pharmacy. Why does it say below your alias that you are "living in pharmacy hell"?

Having completed both pharmacy and med school (as of last Wednesday), I can say that overall I found that pharmacy school was less competitive. We all wanted everyone to succeed, and did everything we could to help each other.

I found medical school more competitive with people more willing to "undercut" each other. Generally, these were the people known as gunners, who wanted competitive residencies and thus profited from insuring that others did not have "old tests", etc.

This all stems from the post graduate education required to practice medicine in today's society. As pharmacist education evolves and residencies become the norm, I believe pharmacy students will encounter the same competitiveness.

Please note - I stated the pharmacy school was less competitive , not less demanding or easier than medicine. No flaming please.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pilot said:
Having completed both pharmacy and med school (as of last Wednesday),
w00t w00t! Congratulations! What residency are you starting?? :horns:

Family Practice in OKC. I liked every rotation I completed, and thought that FP would make me the most rounded physician, and allows more encompassing use of my pharmacy background as well. Thought briefly about Rads, but realized I would miss the patient contact too much. I interviewed at the two Radiology programs in OKC, but ultimately ranked them behind my first choice - Famliy Practice.

as a Family Practice physician, I'll probably never make up the money lost while pursuing medicine (4 years lost wages while in school, loans taken out while in school, etc), but I didn't go into it for the money anyhow....

Wow congrats Pilot!! For a while I thought about doing the same thing myself.

What made you decide on going to med school? And was it mentally hard to overcome the lost wages, etc?

pharmtech77 said:
It seems that your post's tone was directed more favorably towards pharmacy. Why does it say below your alias that you are "living in pharmacy hell"?

I don't know if you are in pharmacy school, already out of it, or have not yet started..... But if you are a rph or in school you can identify with pharmacy hell.
I'm sure we have all been there in one class or another...
especially when the professors test on irrelevant statistics that change from year to year.
or when your professors are a little "out of touch" with what actually occurs in the practice of pharmacy
or the fact that you are expected to have committed the entirety of G&G to memory the first week of pharmacology
yuck!
pharmacy hell....

Finals start next week