The difference in MDs and DOs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocRo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am just starting to look into DO schools and am wondering what the differences are in learning and in practice from the two professions. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

DocRo said:
Hi I am just starting to look into DO schools and am wondering what the differences are in learning and in practice from the two professions. Thank you.

In the FAQ sticky there's a lot of info. Please look at this first, as this questions has been asked many, many times.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO's are only allowed to practice between the hours of 10pm and 6am, north of 60 degrees latitude and at or above 12000 feet of elevation. We also are not allowed to handle sharp objects or use electrical instruments. There is also that damn law that prevents osteopaths from looking allopaths directly in the eyes. Also, if a DO and an MD are both walking through the same hospital hallway, the DO has to stand against the wall until the MD passes, but this is kind of hard since we arent allowed to make eye contact with them.

Just busting your chops, no hard feelings. Do a search, read some of the Osteopathic threads.

Good luck!

They are pretty much the same thing. I know good and bad MD physicians....I know good and bad DO physicians. It's up to you, not the two letters that come after your name. There's supposedly a stigma associated with DO's....but I think they're awesome. I know a DO physician who is a opthamologist...and usually one case takes about 30 mins for a cataract surgery, he can perform in 8 mins. He is so efficient and technically skilled it's amazing! He can perform 3 times more cases in a day than anyone else. It all depends on you.

But an osteopathic opthalmologist could lever operate on an allopath, that damn no direct eye contact thing...

Shodddy18 said:
DO's are only allowed to practice between the hours of 10pm and 6am, north of 60 degrees latitude and at or above 12000 feet of elevation. We also are not allowed to handle sharp objects or use electrical instruments. There is also that damn law that prevents osteopaths from looking allopaths directly in the eyes. Also, if a DO and an MD are both walking through the same hospital hallway, the DO has to stand against the wall until the MD passes, but this is kind of hard since we arent allowed to make eye contact with them.

Just busting your chops, no hard feelings. Do a search, read some of the Osteopathic threads.

Good luck!

I was wondering what happened! You see I work in a hospital and passed allos all the time. The day I received my acceptance letter to a osteo school, I was pushed against the hallway wall each time I passed an allo doc...

Shodddy18 said:
But an osteopathic opthalmologist could lever operate on an allopath, that damn no direct eye contact thing...

I understand that an osteopathic opthalmologist is allowed to use mirrors when operating on an allopath! :laugh: Its just direct eye contact that is forbidden! :D

Just for the record, the AOA is lobbying strongly to repeal the "No Direct Eye Contact" rule. Althought the AMA is in principle also against the law, most program directors and hospital administrators are yet to be convinced.

It's ridiculous that in this day and age we still have such silly rules. I sincerely hope Dr. Thomas can change that while president of the AOA. He already succeeded in bumping up DO salaries several cents above minimum wage, and we're slowly being allowed to work in more urban areas, but there's still work to be done folks.

inhope said:
I was wondering what happened! You see I work in a hospital and passed allos all the time. The day I received my acceptance letter to a osteo school, I was pushed against the hallway wall each time I passed an allo doc...

Well since we Osteopaths are children of a lesser god, we do not get the traditional secret decoder ring that our allopathic counterparts get upon acceptance to med school.

Shodddy18 said:
Well since we Osteopaths are children of a lesser god, we do not get the traditional secret decoder ring that our allopathic counterparts get upon acceptance to med school.
Not really an issue -- osteopaths couldn't work them without opposable thumbs anyhow.

Shodddy18 said:
Also, if a DO and an MD are both walking through the same hospital hallway, the DO has to stand against the wall until the MD passes, but this is kind of hard since we arent allowed to make eye contact with them.

Actually this is kinda fun. I stole an MD's coat one day and walked around the hospital watching DO's flatten themselves against the wall. Two of them actually genuflected, and I made one kiss my hand. He didn't do it quickly enough so I had him fired (until they realized I was just a student and had to ask the physician to come back to the hospital and finish seeing his patients).

A lesson to you all. Before flattening yourself against a wall, look for the traditional secret decoder ring. The absence of one is a dead giveaway to an imposter.

Shodddy18 said:

Whereas M.D. is an abbreviation for “Medicinae Doctor,” Latin for “Doctor of Medicine,” the title of D.O. is an abbreviation for “Devotee of Osiris.”

Since its conception nearly four hundred years ago, the title “MD” has been a front for a secret Draconic society dedicated to the worship of the god, Re (often referred to as Amun-Re, the grand creator of all things). This is why the decoder rings worn by all MDs all have the symbol of the Eye of Re, along with the MD’s respective alma mater.

By invoking the divine presence of Re, MDs (in ancient times called the high Clerics of Amun) are able to conjure powerful healing energies said to be physical manifestations of their Most Blessed Re, that counteractively vanquished the evil energies of Seth, the dark god of storms and destruction, which cause disease and the imbalance of humors in all living things. It is rumored that the battle between the Amun-Re and Seth has been at a standstill since the beginning of Time, as neither god could gain precedence over the other in the plane we know as the mortal demesne. The Clerics of Amun survived the fall of Egypt (1567 B.C. to 1085 B.C) and the consequent domination of the Western world by Christianity by maintaining hyper-secretive sects throughout Europe. It is a common misconception that “Western medicine” is based upon the philosophies championed by the Corpus Hippocraticum, which is actually a loose translation of the Holy Runes of Ishtar, as Hippocrates himself was known to be a high priest of a Grecian sect of Clerics of Amun.

Realizing that a Pagan sect could not survive much longer in the late Medieval Era, the great leaders of the Clerics of Amun organized a meeting, (exact date unknown) in which they declared that they would reintegrate into the socio-political climate by labeling each of their clerics “Medicinae Doctor,” (MD) who follows a purportedly “allopathic” regimen of medical diagnosis. All the while, the Clerics of Amun continued to evoke the divine energies of their god and attributed all clinical success to a “scientific model.”

The Nineteenth Century in Western medicine saw the emergence of the worship of lesser gods. The emergence of Sectarian medicine followed the precedent set forth by allopaths, in which the worship of other, lesser, gods were likewise disguised by supposed approaches to healing. This included, but was not limited to the worship of: Horus, ruler of the sky (Homeopathy), Thoth, god of wisdom (hydropathy), Sobek, the crocodile god (Eclectic medicine), and finally, Osiris, god of the underworld (osteopathy).

Those that worshipped the lesser gods would likewise evoke the powers of their deities to administer healing, not unlike the way in which the Clerics of Amun had treated disease for thousands of years. DOs, or the Devotees of Osiris, for example, conjure Osiris through the hallowed ritual of Osiris’s Magnificent Magic (OMM).

The Clerics of Amun perceived the worship of lesser gods as an insult to the Great Amun-Re, and established a coalition to end the worship of lesser gods, called the AMA, (Allopathic Masters of Amun) which has, over the past century, nearly driven the other schools of worship to extinction.

It must be noted, however, that divine prophecy, as so written in the Holy Runes of Ishtar, stated that such a persecution would happen, and that, regardless of the antagonism between the Clerics of Amun and those that worship the lesser gods, Thoth, Sobek, Osiris, and the most exalted Amun-Re would one day combine their forces to extinguish the evil presence of Seth and drive the murderous god of Lies from the mortal plane forever.