The Dilemma: part deux

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Chosen One

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all my overanalyzers out there...if you received an acceptance invite to quality d-school with all the bells and whistles (although a bit pricey), and the next day you receive a call from another school that was less expensive but, lacking that certain gene' se quois and that school suggested that if you retake the DAT and marginally improve your scores they would save you a spot (off the record of course:)).

Would you retake?

Let's say for *hits and giggles that the school requesting the retake was you in-state school and your acceptance was not....hmmm...:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

For all my overanalyzers out there...if you received an acceptance invite to quality d-school with all the bells and whistles (although a bit pricey), and the next day you receive a call from another school that was less expensive but, lacking that certain gene' se quois and that school suggested that if you retake the DAT and marginally improve your scores they would save you a spot (off the record of course:)).

Would you retake?

Let's say for *hits and giggles that the school requesting the retake was you in-state school and your acceptance was not....hmmm...:rolleyes:

I'd do it if you can save a lot of money $50k+.

Members don't see this ad :)

Would you retake?

Lol, did you take French in high school? :) Just fyi, it's "Je ne sais quoi."

But to answer your question: It depends on which school you want to go to. If you want to go to the expensive school, then don't take the DAT. But if wanted to go to the expensive school, you wouldn't be asking this question.

If all I had to do was take the DAT again and do a little bit better and I would save a boat load of money, and get into the school I want to attend, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Voila.

First, ask yourself if you can see yourself happy at the cheaper institution. If uncertain (or no), ask yourself what the difference in cost, over 4 years comes out to be.

Then ask yourself if that number is enough to make you retake the DAT.

Lol, did you take French in high school? :) Just fyi, it's "Je ne sais quoi."
Voila.

lol, I'll be sure to brush up on my French for dental school! :)

It's been a while since the I sleighed the DAT and I'm sure we're all familiar with that beast. However, the possibilty of saving $60-$80k over four years is very tempting. If accepted in-state I would still have to relocate (300 mi away from home). I'm finishing up my last year of undergrad (full load) and the thought of DAT prep on top of that gives me a migraine. I'm just concerned that if I don't pull it off what kind of snowball effect is it going to have, i.e., scores actually going down :eek:, current accepted school gaining access, disruption of current classes, etc...

not at all, had this exact scenario, too risky. What if you did worse on the DAT somehow. The schools would look at that DAT now

I would NEVER ever take the DAT again if I can help it. So what if the school is expensive...YOU got into dental school that's all that matters. Every year you delay, you're technically losing money in the long run when you could be possibly making money as a dentist. Just get out of dental school as fast as you can. That's just my two cents :)

I think this is a situation where only can you can answer your question. It's your life and there's no right answer.

When you say "save a spot," do you mean for next year or this year? If it's this year, what do you have to lose by taking the DAT again? You're already in at one school and one is all you need.

If it's next year, what's the point of waiting. In the long run, that's another year of lost income. And dental school is dental school. No matter where you go, they'll still call you doctor.