The doer of deeds...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldManDave

Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The end of the cycle is nearing...even though I have a strong chance at the two schools I have interviewed, I am already prepping for the next cycle.

I REALLY hope that I get into at least one of the programs I have yet to hear from; but I think it would be foolish to not prepare. Believe me, this time I'll not apply to near as many schools and the apps will be returned MUCH earlier!

Best of luck and success to those who have earned their berth this year!! Even more luck and success to those of us who will be doing it again next year.

Always remember, "It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again because there is no effort without error and shortcomings, who knows the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows in the end the high achievement of triumph and who at worst, if he fails while daring greatly, knows his place shall never be with those timid and cold souls who know neither victory or defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Not the greatest grammar I've seen; but quite stirring I must say!!

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
Senior, Neurosciences
Univ of Texas at Dallas
Class of 1999

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, these are valuable words of wisdom...someone please read them!?!?!?

[this was merely a cheap ploy to get thread back into the first 10 days category]

smile.gif
frown.gif

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
Senior, Neurosciences
Univ of Texas at Dallas
Class of 1999

Did you get accepted at KCOM? I know you interviewed after your original response thus maybe some good news.

Best of Luck either way!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone started looking into what schools they're applying to for 2000? I'm still waiting for some schools but I'm preparing for the worst. I heard that Yale and JHU were both starting to join AMCAS for the year 2000. This means I can't use my ACT's for JHU (before they joined AMCAS, they only required a standardized test and i really kicked ass on my ACT's but did only average on my MCAT's--there are too many cute girls at my school, it's really killing my studying ability). Dave, what schools are you looking to apply to next year (if KCOM falls through)?

Nope, no word from KCOM yet...they told us on interview day the Committee had a back-log and it might be a week or two; but to call the school every Thursday until you get an answer. The Committee meets every Wednesday. Apprently the back-log continues, as the answer this Thurs was the same as last Thursday---"Your file has not been reviewed or voted on by the Committee yet."

Oh well, what's another week....VERY FRUSTRATING! But in their defense, I would hate to have their jobs! Imagine trying to slog through all those apps to pick the right ones out of several thousand VERY qualified applicants. The whole time, they're having to fend off frantic &/or begging applicants to boot. Nah, give me patient care!!

As far as next year, I plan to apply to predominantly DO schools [UHS, KCOM, UOMHS, LECOM, NSUCOM, San Francisco-COM, CCOM and probably UNECOM] and a couple of MD schools [Ark & the TX schools]. It would be nice if what I hear is true that KCOM guarantees a slot to folks who don't make it in off the wait-list. I'm unsure if that's true at all...I haven't asked the school yet.

I also heard JHU and Yale were joining AMCAS & that Tx A&M was leaving after only one year. Supposedly, all of the Tx schools, except Baylor and TCOM, are joining some Tx alliance. Everyone will apply to the TX central app service, just like AACOMAS or AMCAS. But, with the TX system...at each of their school's interviews, you are given a piece of paper to rank the school you have interviewed at. After your last interview, the last ranking you submit becomes final. Then, the schools you interviewed at submit their ranking of candidates and everyone is matched to the highest school that has the highest intrests in you.

This also prevents any multiple acceptances within the UTx system...so it realistically will only count as 1 school. It appears to have based, at least loosely, on the NRMP.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
Senior, Neurosciences
Univ of Texas at Dallas
Class of 1999

Dave,

The thing about guaranteed admission at KCOM for the next year if not taken off the wait list for the current year is true, at least for me. I applied for the 1998 entering class, got wait-listed, and was told I was guaranteed admission for this year if I ddin't make it off the list. Told them I would just wait and to send me the acceptance stuff. The only drawback is be prepared to submit money to them early. My $1000 acceptance fee was due on Oct. 5, the $500 Pre-Registration Fee due Feb. 1, and the $500 Pre-Matriculation Fee due April 1. Good if you're going to go to KCOM, bad if you're thinking about applying to other schools again. Oh yeah. I got my acceptance letter August 24.

[This message has been edited by justwannabadoc (edited April 10, 1999).]

OldManDave,
First of all, I hope you get in this year so you don't have to worry about reapplying. But, my advise to you is to apply to as many schools as you can afford to do. I applied to 10 or so MD schools and most of the DO schools (except the ones that accepted mostly in-state like NYCOM, MSU, etc.). Don't limit yourself if you can afford it, because you will be surprised sometimes at who will grant you an interview. I interviewed at MD and DO schools that I almost did not apply. I almost did not apply to the DO school I am intending on attending. I think the key to the admissions puzzle is to find out which schools are receptive to you. For instance, we "older" applicants need to apply to places that like older non-traditional people (and in your case health professionals). Jefferson Medical College (MD), and MCP Hahneman, Wright State University are some. A lot of DO schools as you know are others. Just my two cents.

VM,

Yeah, I tried to nose out those schools most receptive to those of us with healthcare experience AND who were also among the 'older set,' I'm 32. Too bad there's not a comprehensive list published somewhere...most of what I went on were essentially rumors I heard on message boards. We all know how reliable rumors can be/not be.

Should it become necessary, I already have a quasi-list formed from schools that appeared receptive from this cycle and others that I feel would be. Any suggestions you may have are most welcome!?

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
Senior, Neurosciences
Univ of Texas at Dallas
Class of 1999

I agree that you should apply to as many schools as you can afford to. Even schools that primarily accept in state like NYCOM, PCOM, etc. I strongly recommend writing letters to the Admissions Committee, Director of Admissions, etc, indicating why you want to attend that school even though you are not a resident. I am not a state resident in any of the 6 DO schools I applied to and I was interviewed at all 6 and accepted to 5, so make sure you don't listen to their line about not bothering them because it will be very easy forget about you.

DOGBOY,

Do the six DO schools you applied for accept primarily in-state students? I applied to OSU-COM, which primarily accepts Oklahoma residents, and didn't get an interview. I believe I had fairly competetive scores, but was told they only had 2-3 slots for out of state students. Of the three out of state MD schools I applied to, I didn't get a single interview. I did get interviews at the two private DO schools I applied to. My guess is that unless your application is extremely competetive, it's not worth applying to schools that mostly accept state residents. Unless, of course, money is an unlimited resource! I know it's not in my case!

Dave,

I currently attend UOMHS and know they prefer people with clinical background. I'm almost certain that it was UOMHS that said not to even return the secondary app. if you have no clinical background of some sort. It might have been Kansas City that said that, but I'm pretty sure it was UOMHS. Also, quite a few of the students in my class are "older". I'd guess the average age of my class is upper twenties, with the youngest being 22 and the oldest being lower forties (with three kids, I might add). If you don't get in this year, and I hope you do, I'd say you have a good chance at UOMHS. Good luck!

Mevannorden, UOMHS wants health care experience. This can also be volunteer experience, but a health care experience letter has to be written by someone, and you must have spent a lot of time volunteering. I was accepted to UOMHS, and I am a little older, with a non-medicine career. There seemed to be a lot of students there that were in previous health care fields, weren't there? So I would think this is a good place to apply if you are a non-traditional student especially if you have been in the health care field. Knowing how many schools to apply to was always a tough decision. No one wants to throw away their money. I know that I have spent thousands of dollars on the whole process (including interview days with hotels, travel cost, etc.), but it has paid off for me now. I think the schools should not be allowed to charge such huge amounts for secondaries. You already have to pay once for the AAMCAS or AACOM application, then they hit you up for another $30 -100. Secondary app fees should just cover the cost of processing them. St. Louis University charged $100 for their secondary application. I don't believe processing the app could possibly cost them that much. At the interview, the dean said they would consider waiving the fee if you wrote them. Yea right, who wants to stand out like that. But, this is the way it is and will remain.

Mevann;

I applied to UOMHS this cycle. Unfortunately, my app is among those near the end of the time-line. As of my last call to them [early last week], my app had yet to be reviewed. I have many years of health care experience, like 14 [incl 9+yrs as a respiratory therapist]. If I don't get in this cycle, UOMHS is on the list of schools I will most definitely re-apply to.

UOMHS is the school that tells you not to even bother returning the secondary unless you have significant experience.

Any other suggestions on Geezer-friendly schools?

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
Senior, Neurosciences
Univ of Texas at Dallas
Class of 1999

To everyone

GOOD LUCK AND HANG IN THERE! It's not been that long ago that I too was
going through the agony of applications/interviews/camping at the mail box!
I understand your frustration. Just know that if you are persistent it
WILL pay off, sooner or later (hopefully sooner). However, don't give up
on this year just yet. We had a couple of people who weren't accepted
until the week before classes started!

To Dave

You should contact Minnie Mars at UHS. She's the director of admissions and
a real advocate for applicants. Ask her if she can tell you WHY you were wait-
listed and what, if anything, you can do to improve your chances of being
accepted this year. There may be nothing else you can do, but if there is,
she will know.

Deb,

Good idea...I can't believe that had not even occured to me. I have contacted most every school who rejected me for that information, why it never occured to me to do that where I was wait-listd, I don't know!

One bit of information for the folks planning on applying to UHS next cycle...Minnie Marrs, Dir of Admissions, told me that beginning next cycle, UHS was going to require BioChem for entry.

I guess, if I don't get in this time, I'll be sittin my happy butt in a BioChem class in the interim~~~~~

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
Senior, Neurosciences
Univ of Texas at Dallas
Class of 1999

So, after reading this riveting and edge-of-the-seat thread, did OldManDave ever get into med school? Is he now OldManDave M.D./D.O.?!!!!

qqq said:
So, after reading this riveting and edge-of-the-seat thread, did OldManDave ever get into med school? Is he now OldManDave M.D./D.O.?!!!!

David W. Kelley, D.O.
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03
Dartmouth Anesthesia Residency Class of 2007
Dartmouth Critical Care Medicine Fellowship 2008