the dreaded "additional information" comment section...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jon0013

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
on a couple of my applications i've come across an area where you are suppose to:

Please list any unusual circumstances that you feel the admissions committee should be aware of as they evaluate your application.

I've had a bit of an unusual MCAT taking history which explains why I had to take the test in August....other than that I haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary....I just feel that this section can make you out to be a "whiner" and i don't want to do that....

are you suppose to write an essay about yourself? i know some kids who are doing Baylor 2ndary who are making this out to be a separate essay....

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

jon0013 said:
on a couple of my applications i've come across an area where you are suppose to:

Please list any unusual circumstances that you feel the admissions committee should be aware of as they evaluate your application.

I've had a bit of an unusual MCAT taking history which explains why I had to take the test in August....other than that I haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary....I just feel that this section can make you out to be a "whiner" and i don't want to do that....

are you suppose to write an essay about yourself? i know some kids who are doing Baylor 2ndary who are making this out to be a separate essay....

thanks

This section is frequently used by people with lesser stats, who need to explain that eg. their low grades in sophomore year were only due to their debilitating injury, caring for an invalid family member and holding down three jobs, etc., etc. If you have blemishes you can explain away with a good explanation that doesn't sound like whining, go for it. Otherwise, yes, it could potentially make you come off badly.