The End of A_ss Clownery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Consigliere

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this is a death knell for these parasites:

CNBC US Home

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
While I guess one possible outcome of the "winter in healthcare" prophesied by the shortseller in the article is the collapse of the corporate groups and reconquest by private practice model, isn't a more probable result simply that the financial squeeze felt by corporate headquarters works its way down to the physician employees? In other words, aren't we basically already at the stage that has long prevailed in occupations outside of healthcare, where the fate of the employee cogs is inextricably tied in with the fate of the corporate machine?

Rather than collapse and leave doctors to re-inherit the kingdom, I'd wager what is going to happen is that "cost cutting" will take place at our expense until these behemoths return to financial viability. Welcome to dat Corporate Life.

Reactions: 5 users
I think there will definitely be a squeeze, be it through higher supervision ratios, less pay, whatever, but long term I don't see these corporate groups surviving because they're based on ripping off private insurers who have way more power. The massive hospital systems, which are not particularly financially sound either, will probably be the next to employ all doctors so they can bundle bills and keep the fees from us, surgeons, radiologists, etc.

Somewhere down the line it may be the federal government itself employing us - at our place it feels like each year less and less people have private health insurance and I don't see that trend reversing.

Reactions: 1 user
While I guess one possible outcome of the "winter in healthcare" prophesied by the shortseller in the article is the collapse of the corporate groups and reconquest by private practice model, isn't a more probable result simply that the financial squeeze felt by corporate headquarters works its way down to the physician employees? In other words, aren't we basically already at the stage that has long prevailed in occupations outside of healthcare, where the fate of the employee cogs is inextricably tied in with the fate of the corporate machine?

Rather than collapse and leave doctors to re-inherit the kingdom, I'd wager what is going to happen is that "cost cutting" will take place at our expense until these behemoths return to financial viability. Welcome to dat Corporate Life.
Or own your own business and work for yourself. You don’t have to work for an AMC or hospital. There are still large, profitable physician owned groups like mine.

I think there will definitely be a squeeze, be it through higher supervision ratios, less pay, whatever, but long term I don't see these corporate groups surviving because they're based on ripping off private insurers who have way more power. The massive hospital systems, which are not particularly financially sound either, will probably be the next to employ all doctors so they can bundle bills and keep the fees from us, surgeons, radiologists, etc.

Somewhere down the line it may be the federal government itself employing us - at our place it feels like each year less and less people have private health insurance and I don't see that trend reversing.

This is what I see happening. These AMCs are in the later stage of their lifespan. However, I don’t expect to see some “physician spring” with small town private practices coming back. If anything there will be further consolidation of “payer” and “provider” with these large regional hospital systems employing physicians instead.

Reactions: 1 users