The Exorcist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Nerdoscience

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just watched "The Exorcist" for the first time in years. One thing that I didn't appreciate before is the look into the diagnostic tests of Neurology back then. Before the days of true fluoro and femoral sticks, they did direct carotid sticks and did arteriograms with huge machines that exposed a series of flat plates. They also show a pneumoencephalogram, which looks excruciatingly painful. It's amazing how far we've come since then.
 
The carotid-stick arteriogram from that movie was one of the most disturbing images I'd ever seen when I saw that movie for the first time when I was 14 or so. I think the scene was really well done, from a film-making standpoint. It actually terrified me (I was really afraid of needles as a kid). ahah 😉