The Future????????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steven11224

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok guy and girls, so what are all the applicants looking at next year( this is for 2008)? Do you think its going to be harder or easier? Do you think there are going to be more applicants or less(some people might get discouraged)? What do you think is going to be the norm DAT scores (20, 21, 22)? Do you think dental schools are more sympathetic to applicants reapplying?

Is becoming a dentist and going through all this bull**** worth it? Do you think there is going to be a demand for dentists in about 5, 10 years?

All good questions I really want to know the answers to. Also probably some other people to. Do you think talking to people on the admissions committee is a good idea about what they didn't like about your application?

Personally speaking, i have a 3.3 overall GPA, 3.4 science GPA, applied late October, 17 in Bio, 18 in GChem, 19 in OChem, 19 PAT, 18 in Reading Comp, 19 in QR. Got 1 interview at Stony Brook in late January but no answer from them or any other school. I applied to Stony, NYU, UMDNJ, BUffalo, UPenn, and Temple. Still haven't heard anything, no acceptance, no rejections, NOTHING!!! So i lost hope but am looking forward to applying this year for 2008. Goodluck to everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

well, the recent trend has been that it's getting harder and harder every to get in dental-school...so i dont think it will get any easier next year.

Sympathy? there's no such thing...unless you improve your application. The problem with your application is that your DAT score are no longer in what is considered as competitive range. To be a competitive applicant, a 20+ is pretty much a requirement (22+ to be competitive in top programs). Also, you applied way too late. Improve your DAT scores, apply EARLY, and you will have a shot.

and yes...there will always be a demand for dentists.

I am a psychic and I know the mean DAT scores next year will be 19.28321.

Man, ask questions people can actually answer please.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reapplying shows that you are dedicated, and they will take that into account. However, you could use to improve your DAT. If you do not get into Stony Brook, retake the DAT and reapply.

I think its a good idea to get in contact with admission folks and ask what they need from you next year (though some may not respond or be available for a phone conversation, but a face to face meeting could be great if it can be arranged). Even though we pretty much know they're gonna say improve on the DAT, i think its worth asking just to get some name familiarity with these guys..

P.S. Good luck on the biochem exam ... thank god its gonna be multiple choice! ;)