The good ones...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shiro1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd open a thread asking eye docs out there to share the good stories that are out there, the ones that make you glad you went into ophtho.

Mine came about a year and a half out of residency. Young 2 year old brought by mom concerned about eye crossing. (I bet you know what's coming. :) ) Obvious exotropia od. Not central, not straight, not fixating at all. Black red reflex compared to bright red reflex os and while I was checking pupillary reaction I saw an ominous shadow laterally in the pupil. Well, he had a huge retinoblastoma occupying most of the vitreous space. Mom had first noticed crossing just a few months ago. We immediately sent him off to Children's to get it treated and he had an enuclation a few days later. Personally, it was very satisfying to see the 2 year old a week later, playing around in my office without a care in the world. I didn't even perform the life-saving surgery, but I played my part and I felt like THIS is why I became an ophthalmologist. :love:

Members don't see this ad.