2
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Read pharmacists' blogs. Two come to mind:
http://www.theangrypharmacist.com
http://www.theangriestpharmacist.com
In addition to their material, these two blogs have links to the blogs of other pharmacists. Knock yourself out.
And FYI, their language is salty.
http://www.theangrypharmacist.com
http://www.theangriestpharmacist.com
In addition to their material, these two blogs have links to the blogs of other pharmacists. Knock yourself out.
And FYI, their language is salty.
Nothing beats tech work in a retail pharmacy to show you some of the really bad aspects of being a pharmacist. Not that it's all bad, but when you're the only tech with 1 other pharmacist and you have a 40 minute rush with 10 patients lining up with at least 1 screaming at you, the telephone ringing off the hook, 12 scripts to type and fill, 4 cars at your two lane drive thru ringing the bell, and managers ignoring your pleas for help.......you get the idea.
Then, there's the one patient that really appreciates the fact that you're there and all of that stress seems to be worth it.
Oh, and I'm not exaggerating. This is a normal occurrence for me every Saturday night.
Then, there's the one patient that really appreciates the fact that you're there and all of that stress seems to be worth it.
Oh, and I'm not exaggerating. This is a normal occurrence for me every Saturday night.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nothing beats tech work in a retail pharmacy to show you some of the really bad aspects of being a pharmacist. Not that it's all bad, but when you're the only tech with 1 other pharmacist and you have a 40 minute rush with 10 patients lining up with at least 1 screaming at you, the telephone ringing off the hook, 12 scripts to type and fill, 4 cars at your two lane drive thru ringing the bell, and managers ignoring your pleas for help.......you get the idea.
Then, there's the one patient that really appreciates the fact that you're there and all of that stress seems to be worth it.
Oh, and I'm not exaggerating. This is a normal occurrence for me every Saturday night.
Lol, that sounds absolutely insane. And I thought it was horrible at work sometimes as a clerk. 12 scripts, phone ringing non-stop, 10 patients lining up one by one...WOW. My pharmacy fills an average of about 150 prescriptions a day. It's not a 24-hour pharmacy and even then, sometimes it seems to get quite busy or at least you get the illusion that it's extremely busy.
Hi,
I am a rising senior who is very interested in becoming a pharmacist. Therefore, I would like to know what I am getting myself into...
If you guys would be so kind to share your experience, especially the bad parts about the job.
Thank you so much!!
You asked a very broad question. You can best find answers to your questions by volunteering at your local hospital pharmacy or perhaps, retail pharmacy.
In my opinion, observing pharmacy work environment as a volunteer and speaking with pharmacists who work there will best help you understand what you are getting yourself into.
From what another person described, many retail pharmacy would welcome a helping hand from you; especially if it is for free.
Try volunteering and see if pharmacy is a good fit for you.
🙂
Hi,
I am a rising senior who is very interested in becoming a pharmacist. Therefore, I would like to know what I am getting myself into...
If you guys would be so kind to share your experience, especially the bad parts about the job.
Thank you so much!!
Bad?
Seeing patients pull up in hummers to pick up their kids free acne meds compliments of medicaid
feeling like a glorified cashier
doing legwork such as doctor and insurance calls for lazy unappreciative patients.
Good?
Finding heparin for a woman who was severely pregnant that had been told she would have to wait till after the long 4th of July weekend 😱
Tracking down info to assure a patient that even though she had left her etopocide out of the fridge for 6 hours, it would still be perfectly fine(good for 3 months @ room temp btw)
Saving a patient $84/month(and feeling like McGyver) by breaking their generic lotrel into its cheaper generic components
This all happened to me today. I have only worked in retail btw. I dont think that I will be a retail pharmacist for very long when i graduate.
Bad?
Seeing patients pull up in hummers to pick up their kids free acne meds compliments of medicaid
feeling like a glorified cashier
doing legwork such as doctor and insurance calls for lazy unappreciative patients.
Good?
Finding heparin for a woman who was severely pregnant that had been told she would have to wait till after the long 4th of July weekend 😱
Tracking down info to assure a patient that even though she had left her etopocide out of the fridge for 6 hours, it would still be perfectly fine(good for 3 months @ room temp btw)
Saving a patient $84/month(and feeling like McGyver) by breaking their generic lotrel into its cheaper generic components
This all happened to me today. I have only worked in retail btw. I dont think that I will be a retail pharmacist for very long when i graduate.
LOL, severely pregnant, I like that! The leg work part is really true, especially for people on public aid. Some of them act like we should bend over backwards to solve their problems. Or, how about the time a lady pulled up in a Bentley and handed me her public aid card? I wanted to smash her windows right there. My taxes go to paying for your medicine and here you are driving a car that costs 10X more than mine does??!?!?!?!
Anger.
Good: variety of fields within pharmacy. many that people don't know about. the pay. and if you are in community setting, is going the extra mile to help someone out about a question or an issue they were having. Its really amazing to see people truly happy and grateful for your effort (and thats why I love this job. it is the greatest feeling ever.)
the bad: school is grueling, more competitive then ever to get in. It will get worse too. Learning to deal with insurance companies, and getting a feel on how to practice compared to what they say in pharmacy school. as some may sa, professors that teach haven't been in a community pharmacy setting in about 20 years.
the ugly: as others have said, waiving medicaid copays when they talk on their iphone. dealing with patients on the cell phones. The way retail companies push their pharmacists past their limits, demanding so much that it is impractical to practice the way you are taught. Drive thrus. Insurance companies and pharamceuticals.
the bad: school is grueling, more competitive then ever to get in. It will get worse too. Learning to deal with insurance companies, and getting a feel on how to practice compared to what they say in pharmacy school. as some may sa, professors that teach haven't been in a community pharmacy setting in about 20 years.
the ugly: as others have said, waiving medicaid copays when they talk on their iphone. dealing with patients on the cell phones. The way retail companies push their pharmacists past their limits, demanding so much that it is impractical to practice the way you are taught. Drive thrus. Insurance companies and pharamceuticals.
The ugly: Trying to explain to a confused elderly patient how a 30 day supply of medicine just won't completely fill her 31 day calendar (she was trying to stretch it from June 28 to July 31). . . I had to get the male pharmacist on the phone to back up my explanation of "days in a month."
Ugly: The coupon transfer game. Grumpy patients for $1 copays. No dinner or breaks for a 12 hr shift. Standing 12 hrs straight in one spot. Playing pharmacy police for early fills on narcotics which get the patients angry. Playing insurance detective because the person insists he/she only has medical when they are hiding their own personal insurance. Explaining to patients who have medical/medicare why they cannot use coupons and then they want there rx's back. Getting clerk/technician hours cut when you need them the most. There's so much more, just stop into a 24 hr CVS or Walgreens during rush hour and see for yourself.
Ugly: The coupon transfer game. Grumpy patients for $1 copays. No dinner or breaks for a 12 hr shift. Standing 12 hrs straight in one spot. Playing pharmacy police for early fills on narcotics which get the patients angry. Playing insurance detective because the person insists he/she only has medical when they are hiding their own personal insurance. Explaining to patients who have medical/medicare why they cannot use coupons and then they want there rx's back. Getting clerk/technician hours cut when you need them the most. There's so much more, just stop into a 24 hr CVS or Walgreens during rush hour and see for yourself.
Yep a 24 hour CVS or Walgreens is as bad as it gets......I wouldn't wish that hell on anyone....
Yep a 24 hour CVS or Walgreens is as bad as it gets......I wouldn't wish that hell on anyone....
🙁 Im an intern at a 24 hour Walgreens. We fill about 500-650 on an average Monday. The hours are always being cut, so we are always short people. The "Medicaid Escalades" tend to get on my nerves, but there is always someone that will make your day worth while.
Medicaid Escalades 

I know exactly what you're talking about too.


I know exactly what you're talking about too.
Hi,
I am a rising senior who is very interested in becoming a pharmacist. Therefore, I would like to know what I am getting myself into...
If you guys would be so kind to share your experience, especially the bad parts about the job.
Thank you so much!!
I think that is a good question, especially for someone like me that has had zero direct pharmacy experience. Everyone is talking about retail but what about hospital pharmacy? What is the "good, bad and ugly" about that? 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think that is a good question, especially for someone like me that has had zero direct pharmacy experience. Everyone is talking about retail but what about hospital pharmacy? What is the "good, bad and ugly" about that? 🙂
Hemorrhoids from sitting on your butt all day doing nothing. A blister on your finger from operating your PDA at the speed of light to answer doctors questions. 20/1000 vision from staring at a computer screen in the dungeon basement pharmacy doing order entry for 8 hours straight. Thirty thousand a year less in your bank account. I am sure others can chime in with more.......
Hemorrhoids from sitting on your butt all day doing nothing...
Hey now, let's be fair! You can get hemorrhoids from standing all day too!
Hey now, let's be fair! You can get hemorrhoids from standing all day too!
I hope not not!!!!!
Clogged arteries from eating the cafeteria's "homestyle" food. Subway or salads would be much better!Hemorrhoids from sitting on your butt all day doing nothing. A blister on your finger from operating your PDA at the speed of light to answer doctors questions. 20/1000 vision from staring at a computer screen in the dungeon basement pharmacy doing order entry for 8 hours straight. Thirty thousand a year less in your bank account. I am sure others can chime in with more.......
Last edited:
Hemorrhoids from sitting on your butt all day doing nothing. A blister on your finger from operating your PDA at the speed of light to answer doctors questions. 20/1000 vision from staring at a computer screen in the dungeon basement pharmacy doing order entry for 8 hours straight. Thirty thousand a year less in your bank account. I am sure others can chime in with more.......
$30k less per year? Isn't that an exaggeration? I've heard many people say that the salary gap between retail and hospital is closing and that the difference is now about $10k.
$30k less per year? Isn't that an exaggeration? I've heard many people say that the salary gap between retail and hospital is closing and that the difference is now about $10k.
Me?!?!?! Exaggerate......never!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 570