The GRE and specializing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edkNARF

A is A
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear that one does not need to take the GRE to get into specialty programs except for when they are master degree granting programs. What is the benefit of getting the masters when specializing? If I have a year off before dental school, should I take the GRE now? I have nothing to do, and wouldn't see it as a waste studying for the test. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey ednarf,

I'm also in my year off from school (which is why I am answering all of you posts :) ) but I took the GRE this year because I was thinking of doing a PhD in Bone Biology as a part of an experimental 7 year DDS/PhD program.

Unfortunately, your GRE scores are only good for around three years and dental school is 4 years so the scores might not be good by the time you were planning on applying. It's expensive to take another test although it's easy (compared to the DAT) so I wouldn't suggest taking it until you have to.

I don't know the advantages of getting your MS before specializing. What would the MS be in?

Jessica

I don't mean getting an MS, I mean the specialty programs that grant MSs. I am pretty sure some of them do, though I could be wrong.

i just enrolled in the dds/mph dual degree program at columbia u. they did not require the GRE; only had to take the DAT. not sure if that answers your question...