1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

The GRE?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Pharmwannab, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Pharmwannab

Pharmwannab Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Someone I spoke with yesterday told me the GRE is required for the pharmD. program at pretty much every pharmacy school. This is news to me. I've never seen this as a requirement on any schools website. I thought I actually knew quite a bit about what you need to get into pharm. schools too, and this is a pretty big oversight. Anyone know if this is true? This guy I talked to was pretty confident that you needed the GRE.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DHG

DHG Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    None of the shcools I applied to required it. I applied to 5 public schools and 2 private ones. If you go to GRADUATE school (MS or PhD) you are required to take the GRE. If you are going to do an MBA you have to take the GMAT. If you are doing a combined degree with your PharmD you might have to take either the GRE or the GMAT. Some shcools may reqire GRE + GRE subject tests, every school is different. But GRE or GMAT is usually only requred for an MS or a PhD. PCAT takes care of the PharmD for all the schools I applied to... There may be a school here or there that requires GRE or GMAT for admission to Pharm school but I think they are the exception, not the rule.

4. Moxxie

Moxxie Rained out
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It's possible that he was confused. Like DHG, I haven't heard of any pharmacy schools that require the GRE (although I suppose it's possible). It seems like the PCAT would be a better test of someone preparedness for pharm school.

However, a lot of veterinary schools DO require the GRE for admission. There is a VCAT (like the MCAT and PCAT), but more vet schools in the U.S. require the GRE than the VCAT.

Don't sweat it - just check to be sure that the schools you're applying to don't require the GRE. And if you find any that do, let us know :)

5. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Some schools use the PCAT. None use the GRE for PharmD admissions.

6. pharmagirl

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I don't know of any schools that require the GRE. I think if you did really well on the GRE, you could put the results on your application, but its definitely not required.

7. starsweet

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Pharmwannab, this guy is totally wrong... I took the GRE a fews years back before I decided to do pharmacy and asked my schools about giving them those results, and they were like, no, that's for grad school (implying Master's program I suppose), even though I already knew that I'd have to suck it up and take the PCAT. :)