The Happy Med Student Thread!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tiki

Girl named after a Giant
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lately there seems to be quite a few threads with people who are depressed about thier school, thier lack of social life, not spending time with their families (ect. ect. ect) and I figured it was time for a thread that had some positive aspects of medical school.

I know that the whole med school experience can be really depressing, but just close your eyes, think back to the day you got the happy acceptance letter and try to remember the joy you felt.

Is medical school a bed full of roses all of the time? Hell no. I'm sitting in front of Netter's trying to remember the gazillion branches of the stupid Trigeminal nerve, so I know it ain't all good. But I still can't imagine doing anything else with my life.

So everyone try to be happy. Christmas is coming. Anatomy will soon be a distant thing of the past. No more coming home to your significant other (or dog, cat, hamster, microbes living on the peach that has been sitting in the bottom of your refridgerator since September) smelling like chemicals and thinking how the dried out Trapezius muscle looks like beef jerky.

Things are going to look up next semester, I can feel it. :D

Plus, most of us will probably be going home for the break, so all of those horny people who haven't gotten any due to all their studying can finally relieve those tensions with some unsuspecting college boy/girl who still thinks med students are "cool."

Members don't see this ad.

Tiki said:
just close your eyes, think back to the day you got the happy acceptance letter and try to remember the joy you felt.

I totally agree. The only thing worse than med school, is NOT being in med school, for me at least. I still get goosebumps when I think of my first acceptance, so while I am always busy, sometimes stressed, and occasionally burnt out I just remember what an honor it is to be here, try to think of what I would be doing if I wasn't here.

Yeah, maintaining a positive attitude is important. The purpose of the less upbeat threads is so we can help people regain their positive attitude when they've temporarily lost it. ;) Some people even have real problems to overcome. But you're right, medschool does get better as you get used to it. Enjoy your break. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
As bad as med school seems sometimes...it will all be worth it in the end! Cheer up everyone & happy holidays!

Finally some words of encouragement. I've been reading these threads and thinking about giving up my seat for dental school.

phoenixsupra said:
Yeah, maintaining a positive attitude is important. The purpose of the less upbeat threads is so we can help people regain their positive attitude when they've temporarily lost it. ;) Some people even have real problems to overcome. But you're right, medschool does get better as you get used to it. Enjoy your break. :D

I'm fully for helping those who are going through a rough time, and I understand why they need to vent on those threads.

I guess this thread really is a reaction to a post I read on the DO forum, in which some of the pre-DO students have this misconception in their heads that all allopathic medical students are miserable. And that is definitely not the case. Some of us couldn't be happier.

I love my school. :love: Yeah, its hard work, but if I wasn't here I'd be stuck in some lab running gels all day.

Tiki said:
I'm sitting in front of Netter's trying to remember the gazillion branches of the stupid Trigeminal nerve, so I know it ain't all good.

The only good thing about the head and neck is that it makes the brachial plexus seem not half bad :)

Tiki said:
I'm fully for helping those who are going through a rough time, and I understand why they need to vent on those threads.

I guess this thread really is a reaction to a post I read on the DO forum, in which some of the pre-DO students have this misconception in their heads that all allopathic medical students are miserable. And that is definitely not the case. Some of us couldn't be happier.

I love my school. :love: Yeah, its hard work, but if I wasn't here I'd be stuck in some lab running gels all day.

Interesting, do DO's really think they're happier? Good for them. I have found medschool to be a fascinating journey and I wouldn't choose anywhere else to be. But there's a LOT that I don't like about medschool. I'm a bit older than most so I'm fairly immune to most of the bs going round. But I do see a lot of people getting really stood on and that sometimes bothers me. It really is important to keep a positive attitude. But there are still many changes that need to be made. We tend to keep up a facade in school. It's good to talk freely about what bothers us here. That way we feel less alone. I don't know about anyone else but that helps me to maintain my spirits. In any case, I'm glad that you've got one semester down. Congratulations. Have an awesome break. :luck: :)

Rogue_Leader said:
The only good thing about the head and neck is that it makes the brachial plexus seem not half bad :)
:laugh: oh good, something to look forward to in January! We do head and neck last, in Jan & Feb.

I'm happy. Working hard, wondering how I'm going to get it all done, and very happy I chose this path.

Cheers, everyone. :D

Nice thread. I'm already done with studying for the year, and I can definitely say I enjoyed it so far. Now let's keep it that way for the upcoming years :D

phoenixsupra said:
In any case, I'm glad that you've got one semester down. Congratulations. Have an awesome break. :luck: :)

Thanks. I hope you have a great break, too. :luck:

Good luck to everyone on their exams. We already have 1/2 year of med school done. :thumbup: :D

Yes!! Let's make it a bit more positve here! there are quite some nice things about med school:
1) don't have to shop for nice clothes any more - put on anything that's comfortable, and off we go - toward the smelly anatomy lab!
2) don't have to try to look good any more - everybody else is looking 100 times worse than they did in orientation week, so why bother?
3) don't have to worry about fogetting birthdays any more - people know you're an official geek now (although you refuse the title) and they don't expect much of those mundane things from you any more...
4) don't have to worry about future any more - it's quite simple - study, study, scrub, srub, and eventually, you get to do what you love to do.
5) eveything else in life seems so much nicer now - walk out of the anatomy lab... oh, the air outside the parking lot seems so much sweeter and so refrshing.... and go home, take a hot shower and get rid of the lab smell, then watch some TV with a huge mug of hot chocolate...mmm, life is sweet...

duncanparkerfan said:
.... and go home, take a hot shower and get rid of the lab smell, then watch some TV with a huge mug of hot chocolate...mmm, life is sweet...

Replace TV with a movie, and you've got the little niche that's gotten me through 1.5 years of medschool so far! :thumbup: :D

Keeping with the theme of the thread - I'm still smiling! It's all about perspective. Think about the worst day of your life. Now think about studying anatomy, sitting somewhere and learning some phys, plowing through a breast path packet (which has a begillion minute things that you are expected to know - none of which you will) at 5am the night before the test. How bad are these things really, when compared to life's REAL problems, ya know? Guess what I'm saying is that those of us who get to study and practice medicine and have a good life doing so are the fortunate ones. Always try to keep perspective! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
ermonty said:
Replace TV with a movie, and you've got the little niche that's gotten me through 1.5 years of medschool so far! :thumbup: :D

Keeping with the theme of the thread - I'm still smiling! It's all about perspective. Think about the worst day of your life. Now think about studying anatomy, sitting somewhere and learning some phys, plowing through a breast path packet (which has a begillion minute things that you are expected to know - none of which you will) at 5am the night before the test. How bad are these things really, when compared to life's REAL problems, ya know? Guess what I'm saying is that those of us who get to study and practice medicine and have a good life doing so are the fortunate ones. Always try to keep perspective! :)

:thumbup: :thumbup: very nicely put!

You know what I love about med school?? That sweet sweet feeling you have after exams are done. I don't care if I feel like I failed, when I leave that room I am so freaking happy because I know that after weeks of studying and hard work, I get to do whatever I want. Who would have thought that a person could get so excited about taking naps and watching TV?? or just seeing their friends at a place other than the library!!!
Just knowing I am going to feel like that next friday is enough to keep me going right now!
There are times of crazy hard work and stress, I won't deny that, but man, there are a lot of other good times too. Working and studying with smart, interesting people. Having an excuse to drink ridiculous amounts of coffee. Getting to use highlighters and gel pens to make fancy notes. Really appreciating free time. Really really appreciating family and friends and pets.
Now that I think about, med school has changed, but I think its been for the better....

drdr2010 said:
Really really appreciating family and friends and pets.

:oops:

well, I admit I am easily a real crab and so reading this thread makes me wake up a little bit. I think that in life and at school I feel like I have to be 'up' all the time or professional and so it's hard to just let down that wall and express my true feelings and anxieties. Here on sdn I feel great relief when I express my darker fears and read that others have them too.

But it's true, I am so incredibly grateful to be here and doing what I am doing - I need to spend more time thinking about that and watch my grouchiness. Luckily, school's out for a few weeks so it should be easier to have a sunnier attitude. Friends, new pet, road trip - Christmas!

:luck:

drdr2010 said:
You know what I love about med school?? That sweet sweet feeling you have after exams are done. I don't care if I feel like I failed, when I leave that room I am so freaking happy because I know that after weeks of studying and hard work, I get to do whatever I want. Who would have thought that a person could get so excited about taking naps and watching TV?? or just seeing their friends at a place other than the library!!!
.... Really appreciating free time. Really really appreciating family and friends and pets.
Now that I think about, med school has changed, but I think its been for the better....

So true! I definitely have started to appreciate relationships much more now... I call (or want to call) my mom, my high school and college friends more often then ever... I even tracked down one of my friends who's living in UK and lost contact for years, and I just felt I wanted to let them know they are important in my life (well, my life is pretty simple now, old and good relationships have been augamented!)

Being in med school has made me feel better about my looks. For that, I'm grateful.

Paws said:
:oops:

well, I admit I am easily a real crab and so reading this thread makes me wake up a little bit. I think that in life and at school I feel like I have to be 'up' all the time or professional and so it's hard to just let down that wall and express my true feelings and anxieties. Here on sdn I feel great relief when I express my darker fears and read that others have them too.

But it's true, I am so incredibly grateful to be here and doing what I am doing - I need to spend more time thinking about that and watch my grouchiness. Luckily, school's out for a few weeks so it should be easier to have a sunnier attitude. Friends, new pet, road trip - Christmas!

:luck:

Even though I'm happy for the most part, there are times when I am full of anxiety as well. No one can be happy 24/7 during this process. When I think about anatomy, I feel like I want to run away and cry. No matter how much I study I can't get better than a 75. Sometimes I'd like to throw Big Moore at some of my classmates heads. But at the end of the day, I'm still thankful to be where I am. And so what if I'm gonna just pass anatomy. As one of my favorite sayings go--"P = MD!!!" :D

Enjoy your break!!!

The thing I love about medicine is that for the first time in my life, I am actually interested in every single subject, every single thing that we're doing. Study is really tedious, and I seem to need to read it 1000 times before the damn thing goes into my head and the problem is that we have to know everything, but still...everything is actually interesting.

Oh...don't get used to getting to dress down. Once you get in the hospitals, it's all shirt and tie and work clothes again. I always look forward to the first day I can put on jeans and a tshirt after the rotation is over!

i like this thread. it's so true about working so freaking hard making the sweet things in life even sweeter. my fiance (a non-medical type) had to "work all weekend" last weekend (which as far as i could tell meant a couple of hours in the afternoon both saturday and sunday - a far cry from the 10 hours i put in both days) and he said "i just don't know how you do it, i feel like i had no weekend and now i have to go back to work." and i thought to myself "remember how we slept in a little bit, and then made a tastey breakfast, and then took the dog for a walk by the lake? this was a great weekend!" who would have thought some eggs and a nice walk could constitute a great weekend?

and yes, it sucks to have to memorize every little detail and that the baseline of what we have to know is "everything", but it really is all SOOOO fascinating. beats the hell out of the officey job i had before med school.

Doc Ivy said:
The only thing worse than med school, is NOT being in med school.

Well put!

The other things that keep me going, at least in second year, when I wonder at least once a day why I'm doing this to myself, is a) the material is genuinely fascinating and it's truly special to have this kind of understanding of the human body, and b) seeing patients is the highlight of my week, and I one day will be interacting with them every day.

Also, my classmates get me through it. Even the gunners are OK people in social settings.

I like the fact that there are thousands of people who are experiencing the same things I am. That kind of lets me know, "it'll be ok." I can't recall how many times I hear my classmates say things that I am thinking or I read things here on SDN that I have felt. I almost think of it as a fraternity of those who have already passed this way and those of us who still have to pay our dues. And even though you sometimes have to deal with crappy personalities and situations, I am very grateful to be in medical school and part of the "brotherhood" :) .

you guys are the reason the system sucks and will never change, where do they find people who actually find this stuff interesting and study 10 hours a day with a smile on their face? Sure the basic concepts are interesting as hell, but really, are you interested in what you are being tested on?, the minute details, the irrelevant tricky questions? Keep it reeeeal, med school blows and could be much more enjoyable and effective with a more contemporary curriculum, not the traditional fraternity hazing thing, which is NOT fun or cool in any way. I dont know about your school, but I like learning, and I like the idea of being a doctor, and school sux. Its just a hurdle to cross on the way to a good career, a hurdle that may as well not be there, leading to happier more normal doctors. By being complacent about the system and acting like you are superior in some way to the "complainers" you are just amplifying the problem

Well, it's not always peaches and cream, but in my experience it beats the hell out of working at a job I didn't find meaningful (for several years on end).

Exam week is stressful, sure, and I get a bit frustrated wondering if I'll ever retain some of the material, but on the whole I find the first 2 years of med school to be relatively low-stress. In my previous career, I had a lot of responsibility for research and development that I didn't care much about, and in fact didn't even really believe in. If I did a crappy job because I didn't care, I'd let my colleagues down and make their job much harder, as well as feel rotten about myself. Ugh. What utter soul-crushing misery.

3rd year will be stressful because of the whole not-knowing-what-you're-doing bit - 4th year I think much less so. And practicing? For me, that'll be stressful because I know I'll have nagging worries when I go home at night about patient X - "is it really just a little cellulitis? Or could it be NECROTIZING FASCIITIS and she'll DIE and it'll be MY FAULT?". Still, it'll all be more rewarding than trading my time (and soul) for money in a job I found meaningless.

So... life is good, although having to memorize a bazillion cytokines is NOT one of the highlights!

hoya11 said:
you guys are the reason the system sucks and will never change, where do they find people who actually find this stuff interesting and study 10 hours a day with a smile on their face? Sure the basic concepts are interesting as hell, but really, are you interested in what you are being tested on?, the minute details, the irrelevant tricky questions? Keep it reeeeal, med school blows and could be much more enjoyable and effective with a more contemporary curriculum, not the traditional fraternity hazing thing, which is NOT fun or cool in any way.
Thanks for your insight...

daria said:
Well, it's not always peaches and cream, but in my experience it beats the hell out of working at a job I didn't find meaningful (for several years on end).
Concur wholeheartedly. My worst day so far in med school doesn't even come near making my Top 10 list of worst days since graduating college. On balance, I'm having a great time!

Hoya11 said:
Keep it reeeeal, med school blows and could be much more enjoyable and effective with a more contemporary curriculum, not the traditional fraternity hazing thing, which is NOT fun or cool in any way. I dont know about your school, but I like learning, and I like the idea of being a doctor, and school sux. Its just a hurdle to cross on the way to a good career, a hurdle that may as well not be there, leading to happier more normal doctors. By being complacent about the system and acting like you are superior in some way to the "complainers" you are just amplifying the problem

Let me be clear- when I refered to the whole med school thing as a "fraternity", I simply meant that those who are in medical school can relate to other med students about the ups and downs of school (regardless of the current "system"). And who, in their right mind, doesn't complain about med school? :confused:

Hoya11 said:
you guys are the reason the system sucks and will never change, where do they find people who actually find this stuff interesting and study 10 hours a day with a smile on their face? Sure the basic concepts are interesting as hell, but really, are you interested in what you are being tested on?, the minute details, the irrelevant tricky questions? Keep it reeeeal, med school blows and could be much more enjoyable and effective with a more contemporary curriculum, not the traditional fraternity hazing thing, which is NOT fun or cool in any way. I dont know about your school, but I like learning, and I like the idea of being a doctor, and school sux. Its just a hurdle to cross on the way to a good career, a hurdle that may as well not be there, leading to happier more normal doctors. By being complacent about the system and acting like you are superior in some way to the "complainers" you are just amplifying the problem

I know what you're saying Hoya11, I complain all the time on these boards. :D

But I think the OP has a good point about getting back to the 'oh my God! I can't believe I am being allowed to actually do this stuff for a living!!!' kind of feeling. I definitely get bogged down in the irritations of daily life and thinking my classmates are freaks or insanely smart - and I am a complete idiot because I too, am praying to end my anatomy course with the consistent 75 I have been averaging all block. Now that school's over for a few weeks (ok, 3), I can look back and say wow! I have had such an AWESOME time. Truth be told, I actually like my clasmates ALOT and think: wow, I am lucky to have such neat people to work with for the next four years. :thumbup:

During the block, the stress can be so incredibly overwhelming that I think we all start freaking out and it can bring out our worst characteristics. But when we get together as a class to do fun things and school is out, man! it is sweet!

Hoya11 said:

Here's how I see it. Med school is study bootcamp. Questioning the purpose of the random excruciating hoops we're asked to jump through is like going up to your drill instructor and saying "Hey, you know that big wall on the obstical course...Well, it really is unnecessarily difficult to climb over and its not important for my future can we remove it?". The attitude you're annoyed at is pretty much the correct attitude for surviving this boot camp. You've gotta adjust your perspective on this one. ;)

BTW I agree that theres a much better way to teach medicine. But don't expect a revolt or a spontaneous change or anything. You're going to have to work within the system to make it happen. Good luck :luck: :)

phoenixsupra said:
Here's how I see it. Med school is study bootcamp. Questioning the purpose of the random excruciating hoops we're asked to jump through is like going up to your drill instructor and saying "Hey, you know that big wall on the obstical course...Well, it really is unnecessarily difficult to climb over and its not important for my future can we remove it?". The attitude you're annoyed at is pretty much the correct attitude for surviving this boot camp. You've gotta adjust your perspective on this one. ;)

BTW I agree that theres a much better way to teach medicine. But don't expect a revolt or a spontaneous change or anything. You're going to have to work within the system to make it happen. Good luck :luck: :)

I am very happy to be in school and I love the idea of being a doctor in the future, i agreee that not being in med school is worse than being in med school. I am happy for all you guys that are content where you are. I mean I am content too, ecstatic to be here. But just as a man of principle, what am i doing? I hate these hoops, avoiding "hoops" is the reason i got into this in the first place, i can only imagine the torcher of corporate jobs and other painful stuff like that. SO I hear all you guys on that...

But no matter what I just cant really agree that the stuff that I spend my time on is useful, i mean microbush borders? stratified squamous epithelium?
And wasting my time, even though it is working towards a goal, just feels terrible as a 20 year old. The reality of med school has just been shocking to me. Well qualified applicants turned away, accepted applicants treated not so great, people forced to go DO, people dying with no health insurance, doctors getting beat up by lawyers, we have a ton of systemic problems that I feel no one even addresses cuz we are all caught up learning about fenestrated capillaries.. just that kinda stuff gets me you know, sorry to be a downer i am happy overall, just see the room for improvement. I AM trying to work within the system, I AM in the system, this is me trying to work within the system. I just see no real change and its kind of frustrating, but im happy overall so i wont rain on your parade too much. peace guys

Hoya11 said:
I am very happy to be in school and I love the idea of being a doctor in the future, i agreee that not being in med school is worse than being in med school. I am happy for all you guys that are content where you are. I mean I am content too, ecstatic to be here. But just as a man of principle, what am i doing? I hate these hoops, avoiding "hoops" is the reason i got into this in the first place, i can only imagine the torcher of corporate jobs and other painful stuff like that. SO I hear all you guys on that...

But no matter what I just cant really agree that the stuff that I spend my time on is useful, i mean microbush borders? stratified squamous epithelium?
And wasting my time, even though it is working towards a goal, just feels terrible as a 20 year old. The reality of med school has just been shocking to me. Well qualified applicants turned away, accepted applicants treated not so great, people forced to go DO, people dying with no health insurance, doctors getting beat up by lawyers, we have a ton of systemic problems that I feel no one even addresses cuz we are all caught up learning about fenestrated capillaries.. just that kinda stuff gets me you know, sorry to be a downer i am happy overall, just see the room for improvement. I AM trying to work within the system, I AM in the system, this is me trying to work within the system. I just see no real change and its kind of frustrating, but im happy overall so i wont rain on your parade too much. peace guys

I understand your frustration. I'm not thrilled about the lunacy of the system I've been through either. But change is slow and hard to see. The system at my school is already totally different to how it was when I was a first year. In general what it takes is for the old gaurd to finally retire and be replaced. Everyone in our wave AND the one before us feels more or less the same way that you do. Change is already in the pipeline. You gotta have faith in that.

I'm not sure that the "fenestrated capillaries" crap that you mention is such a bad thing. People really do expect us to know that vocabulary and are suspicious if we don't. That's really dumb but it's true. Personally I think the main problem is how we are/were constantly pitted against each other. It's little wonder after that why we can't seem to work together to take on insurance companies and other obstacles. ;) In any case, well done in finishing semester one. Go recharge those batteries. :D

denali said:
My worst day so far in med school doesn't even come near making my Top 10 list of worst days since graduating college. On balance, I'm having a great time!

Yeah, same here. Or even anywhere close to my worst day in college. There are lots of complainers in my med school, and the stuff they complain about just makes me laugh. Not that there's no room for improvement, but really, things are pretty decent here. Yes, I've frequently been treated like I know far less than I do. It comes with being a student again, no matter how many other degrees I have. But that doesn't change whether I actually do know anything or not, and someone else's opinion of me doesn't change mine of myself. The tests are multiple choice, so who cares? Besides which, I really don't know everything, and if someone has something to teach me, I'm here to learn it. All I ask is that they don't waste my time or blow off their teaching responsibility. That I will complain about.

Excellent thread. Life is pretty bitchen. Things are at least 2.5 times better than undergrad. Not saying it's easier, just 2.5 time more enjoyable. I love seeing the applicability of all the things I study, the clinical correlations, and the clinic patient interviewing is so erriely similar to the examples they give us in class I sometimes think the patient is an undercover person from the school.

Life is good. I can't believe they're gonna pay me a **** load of money to do something I like. Weird... :thumbup:

drdr2010 said:
Just knowing I am going to feel like that next friday is enough to keep me going right now!
There are times of crazy hard work and stress, I won't deny that, but man, there are a lot of other good times too. Working and studying with smart, interesting people. Having an excuse to drink ridiculous amounts of coffee. Getting to use highlighters and gel pens to make fancy notes. Really appreciating free time. Really really appreciating family and friends and pets.

Man, I still remember that feeling and it was over 4 years ago for me. We had block exams every month for every subject. The feeling after the last one of those exams was over was like the start of summer vacation every 4 weeks. Driving out of the parking lot with the music going on the car radio, the sun shining, nothing to study for, nothing hanging over my head. It was a great feeling. The same thing happened with the end of different rotations in third year.

I kinda miss that feeling now. The closest thing now is the feeling of going home at 8 or 9am post call. Sleep deprived, but wide awake. Its also a pretty cool feeling. No more constant decision making, no more ER patients that you worry could die if you make a mistake. Just the sun shining overhead as you drive out of the parking lot. The feeling of the post-call morning, when you're wide awake, but not REALLY wide awake, is a pretty cool feeling. I like to go home, cook a good breakfast, watch some TV, read a little bit. Then around noon - 2pm, it all comes crashing down and you sleep like there's no tommorrow.

PS: This is being typed at 2:10 am on call about to read an ultrasound to rule out ectopic pregnancy.

leorl said:
The thing I love about medicine is that for the first time in my life, I am actually interested in every single subject, every single thing that we're doing. Study is really tedious, and I seem to need to read it 1000 times before the damn thing goes into my head and the problem is that we have to know everything, but still...everything is actually interesting.

I totally agree. Anyone ever have to stop themselves reading on in textbooks? I'm like, whoa, I'm gonna be tested on Chapter 1 of Genetics tomorrow, I really really shouldn't be studying Chapter 5!

I sometimes catch myself smiling quietly when I look around the libarary and realise that this is what I've always wanted to do! That, plus the fact that a few of my friends didn't get in by the tiniest of margins, so they're always on hand to remind me what a privilege it is!

(At the same time, I'm kinda glad to be taking a month off and just hand round with my old friends and family and stuff, without anyone wondering how much study I'll be sneakily doing that night!)

I was ambivalent whenever asked "how is med school" UNTIL clinical rotations started. Everything is starting to come together, only the important stuff matters, and we are actually helping people and solving problems. I can proudly say there's not another job in the world I'd rather be doing :)

This thread sounds more like a case of cognitive dissonance theory.

blz said:
This thread sounds more like a case of cognitive dissonance theory.

Huh? :confused: What the hell is CDT? Really I'd like to know.

Funny that anatomy is the big evil for most peeps. That was my fav in medschool. Sort of pissed me off the way my school was bending over backwards to help students get the hang of this kind of learning. But when it came to the courses that were "just" memorization there wasn't any help in sight. Remember that when medschool gets down to the pure memorization crap that so many students just love, there are those out there who's struggle is just beginning. Yeah, it's great to be in the majority but give a little thougt to those who are somewhat troubled with the aspects of this system that happen to favor you. I like medschool for the most part but I know it would be much better if some flexibility and understanding of different learning styles was incorporated. Just something to think about. Happy Chrisma-hana-quanz-ika everyone. :D

phoenixsupra said:
Huh? :confused: What the hell is CDT? Really I'd like to know.

Funny that anatomy is the big evil for most peeps. That was my fav in medschool. Sort of pissed me off the way my school was bending over backwards to help students get the hang of this kind of learning. But when it came to the courses that were "just" memorization there wasn't any help in sight. Remember that when medschool gets down to the pure memorization crap that so many students just love, there are those out there who's struggle is just beginning. Yeah, it's great to be in the majority but give a little thougt to those who are somewhat troubled with the aspects of this system that happen to favor you. I like medschool for the most part but I know it would be much better if some flexibility and understanding of different learning styles was incorporated. Just something to think about. Happy Chrisma-hana-quanz-ika everyone. :D

what class could possibly be more 'just' memorization than anatomy???

please, tell me no such class exists! :) :)

care bear said:
what class could possibly be more 'just' memorization than anatomy???

please, tell me no such class exists! :) :)

Ha ha, good question. Anatomy is very visual. You memorize but you also take all the scattered details and sort of build a three dimensional model of the body in your mind. Also all the terms when translated are descriptive and are easy for me to remember in their place.

Path or micro on the other hand tend to involve just memorizing laundry lists and alpha-numerical sequences that have no descriptive componant. The difference is between taking a chaotic approach to learning and building order on the one hand, and ont the other hand using an ordered method to learn something chaotic ie, laundry lists. Does that make sense? I'll expand further if it doesn't. Most people in med school are highly ordered so the laundry list approach seems to appear to them. I'm a little more on the chaotic side than most. ;)

phoenixsupra said:
Ha ha, good question. Anatomy is very visual. You memorize but you also take all the scattered details and sort of build a three dimensional model of the body in your mind. Also all the terms when translated are descriptive and are easy for me to remember in their place.

Path or micro on the other hand tend to involve just memorizing laundry lists and alpha-numerical sequences that have no descriptive componant. The difference is between taking a chaotic approach to learning and building order on the one hand, and ont the other hand using an ordered method to learn something chaotic ie, laundry lists. Does that make sense? I'll expand further if it doesn't. Most people in med school are highly ordered so the laundry list approach seems to appear to them. I'm a little more on the chaotic side than most. ;)

eek, i have not gotten to micro yet. maybe i should start studying over the winter break? i have a terrible memory and i did poorly in anatomy- not a very 3-D thinker; neither am i good at lists of things.

i tend to like classes like immuno & biochem. . .classes that tell 'stories' and explain processes. i am looking forward to physio in the spring, but your comment has made me even more concerned about micro !

care bear said:
eek, i have not gotten to micro yet. maybe i should start studying over the winter break? i have a terrible memory and i did poorly in anatomy- not a very 3-D thinker; neither am i good at lists of things.

i tend to like classes like immuno & biochem. . .classes that tell 'stories' and explain processes. i am looking forward to physio in the spring, but your comment has made me even more concerned about micro !

Oops. Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. If you liked Biochem and Immuno you'll be fine with micro. ;) Enjoy your break. :) :luck:

Samoa ... your cookie avatar is making me hungry ... :D