The Hardest Semester Ever & Orgo Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This summer, I took and earned the following:

Organic I - B+
Biology II - B
Organic I Lab - B

I almost died for those grades! Seriously.

Now that I'm back to teaching for the fall, I'll be taking Organic II and Anatomy/Physiology I in the evenings.

Do you all find Organic II to be tougher or different than I? If so, in what way?

Thx!
 
I think organic 2 is harder than organic 1 but now that you have gotten a taste of organic chemistry you can definitely change your study habits and get your A. I also got a B in organic 1 but I was able to adapt to this new material and ended up getting an A in organic 2.
For the most part organic two is just an extension of organic 1. You get more reagents and intermediate steps. Just remember to seek to understand the material instead of memorizing it. Good luck
 
Orgo 2 is definitely harder than orgo 1, some people say you're not even doing real orgo until your last exam, and I sort of agree. That being said, I can see how a summer session of orgo can be pretty difficult, it's a lot of material to absorb for the first time in one month. It should be easier over the semester, just manage your time well!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think organic 2 is harder than organic 1 but now that you have gotten a taste of organic chemistry you can definitely change your study habits and get your A. I also got a B in organic 1 but I was able to adapt to this new material and ended up getting an A in organic 2.
For the most part organic two is just an extension of organic 1. You get more reagents and intermediate steps. Just remember to seek to understand the material instead of memorizing it. Good luck

I appreciate your feedback! Good luck to you, too!
 
In my experience Orgo 2 was actually more fun and therefore easier than Orgo 1. Mechanisms are fun for me so Orgo 2 was more enjoyable. Orgo 1 had too much other hubbaloo for me.
 
Most at my school agree that Orgo 2 is easier than Orgo 1.

I thought they were similar in difficulty.
 
Second was harder. I was used to mechanisms and reactions and stuff, so when the first exam was only on spectrometries and nmrs it kinda threw me off a bit. It was my lowest test score in both semesters actually
 
I just completed summer organic chemistry and in my experience II was way way way harder than I.

(But that's because during II I was studying for the DAT on top of it)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ochem is a piece of cake. JK but really the amount of information in ochem I is not a lot, its just knowing how to integrate anything, and if you do lots of those problems, ochem really is alright.
 
Last edited:
I think Orgo 2 is easier (and more fun) than orgo 1. Orgo 1 was interesting nonetheless, but the hard part (I believe) is getting used to a whole new class: structures, nomenclature, stereochem, etc. Learning this foundation was tricky for me, and Im sure, many others. I felt orgo 2 was easier since I had a good grasp on the foundations from the first semester. It's really a lot of memorizing (reactions, mechanisms), and then being able to put them together. If you can do that, you put yourself in a good position.

Best of luck!
 
Material wise I think organic 2 was definitely harder. However, I learned how to study and prepare for the tests from my experience with organic 1. Therefore, I actually ended up doing better in organic 2. It just takes time to adapt and find smarter ways to study and utilize your time. Good luck to you in the fall!