Medical The Importance of “Leadership”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering how important “leadership” is on a med school application. If it’s important, what kinds of leadership are most beneficial?

I’m currently in undergrad, and unfortunately in the last two years due to COVID, club activities have been largely restricted. Thus I don’t have any club leadership positions. Technically, I could start one now but I only have two years left which isn’t long enough to build a decent-sized club. Plus going into my third year, my time is definitely shifting towards MCAT and maintaining my grades along with my clinical stuff.

Are there other leadership positions that are valued? Like research, clinical, etc?

Thanks.

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

Leadership is important, but not as important as academics. If you can’t significantly expand your ECs while studying for the MCAT and maintaining your GPA then I wouldn’t worry about it.

You can certainly show leadership in other ways than just a club. If you have some sort of leadership role in your research or clinical areas, highlight them

Leadership is important, but not as important as academics. If you can’t significantly expand your ECs while studying for the MCAT and maintaining your GPA then I wouldn’t worry about it.

You can certainly show leadership in other ways than just a club. If you have some sort of leadership role in your research or clinical areas, highlight them
agreed

Members don't see this ad :)
No issues with what everyone else has said in response, but I'm going to respond directly to the question on what counts as leadership.

AAMC's strategic plan Action Item 6 focuses on enhancing the leadership skills of those in academic medicine, so I can be bold to say, what positions you have had or where you worked isn't important in the long run. Rest assured, most of these people when they were applying to medical school were probably as worried even if they had carried in leadership roles beforehand. This phrase is most telling: We believe leadership is a behavior, not a position.

So what attributes do you think make an effective leader, and how do you emulate them? How have you been effective as an advocate for others, as a strategic thinker, as a coalition-builder, as a champion of equitable work and productivity, as a persuasive fundraiser, and as someone who helps develop other people's skillset as leaders? How have you given bad news to people who you consider your friends? How have you sought advice from mentors and others for troubles occurring on your team?

In light of contemporary events, the examples where you have stood up for individuals who have been marginalized or misunderstood will likely be the most resonant among those schools that espouse a social justice mission in healthcare.

The advice above is really all that needs to be said, I just wanted to expand on it and say as a personal example, I worked at Starbucks and was a trainer, I helped with the writing process for my band that I was in. If you can provide other simple examples such as above and expound on them, you can show those leadership qualities without formal positions at a school or what not.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.