The LGBTQ Applicant Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1

And starting to get majorly nervous about it too. LGBTQ-related activities are a major part of my application and it would be nice to see someone have a success story along those lines. We're in that grey area where many med schools have LGBTQ student groups and health initiatives but don't seem to recruit students...and some interviewers may not "get" why it's so important to me...

I don't think an interviewer will have a hard time understanding a commitment to the LGBTQ community any more than any marginalized group. However, I was very careful about revealing LGBT status to an interviewer (many of them are old white men and who knows with those guys).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think an interviewer will have a hard time understanding a commitment to the LGBTQ community any more than any marginalized group. However, I was very careful about revealing LGBT status to an interviewer (many of them are old white men and who knows with those guys).

i feel bad for "old white men".. so many assumptions :/

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Being out in my application did not negatively affect my cycle at all. My interviewers were all interested in the LGBT activism I have participated in, specifically in STEM since that was a part of my application, and were genuinely interested to learn more. Although medical schools may not be actively recruiting LGBT applicants at the moment, they are definitely aware that patients are more comfortable with physicians they can identify with.

It still is weird to me that LGBTQ are all grouped together. Why is this a thing?

It still is weird to me that LGBTQ are all grouped together. Why is this a thing?
Why should we sub divide ourselves? I mean just because I don't identify as LBTQ, doesn't mean I don't support my bother, sisters, and nonbinary siblings. I mean, yes I agree the struggles those who I identify as something different then me are going to be different from the struggles I face, HOWEVER, that doesn't mean we still can't all be one community and support each other. We all what he same thing, equality. I mean it's kinda like George Washington's advice on political parties, when you start dividing in such a way everything will go to **** (I know I completely muddied that, but you know what I mean lol).

The reason is that to be a gender or sexual orientation minority involves transgressing the expected behavior for your sex. So, historically, a transwoman and a gay man were both seen as not being "manly" enough and were targeted for this reason, and vice versa. Also, many less-informed people tend to have trouble with distinguishing gender vs. sexual orientation (for example, many of my family members have trouble grasping the idea that my butch, suit-wearing girlfriend very much identifies as a woman) and discriminate as a whole. There can also be substantial overlap, i.e. a bisexual transwoman. Thus, the LGBTQ movement started out by combating the same narrow views of sex-based expectations (though I will not deny that the "T" group has sometimes had trouble being recognized in the community). As the population becomes more informed we are better able to distinguish L vs. G vs. T needs but still recognize that the reasons that these needs have been ignored/created are for similar reasons.

+1

And starting to get majorly nervous about it too. LGBTQ-related activities are a major part of my application and it would be nice to see someone have a success story along those lines. We're in that grey area where many med schools have LGBTQ student groups and health initiatives but don't seem to recruit students...and some interviewers may not "get" why it's so important to me...

For what it's worth, I had a very successful application cycle while being very out as trans (wrote an essay about it on each secondary and had a fair number of related ECs). This was applying predominantly to private schools in the northeast -- mileage may vary significantly. I've heard plenty of not-so-great stories from people applying in other parts of the country, as well as, for that matter, people who applied to the same schools that I applied to but 5+ years earlier.

Several schools gave the opportunity to identify yourself as LGBTQ on the secondary, included materials about LGBTQ diversity in their interview day + acceptance packets, and/or had members of their queer student organizations call me post-acceptance. So, there are definitely schools out there that are actively recruiting us :)

Every single one of my interviewers brought up the fact that I'm trans, in ways that were mostly curious but respectful. It helps to be able to articulate a connection between your LGBTQ identity and desire to pursue medicine / approach toward medicine, and how being LGBTQ can help you relate to the experiences of people who have been marginalized by the healthcare system for other reasons. (For what it's worth, none of my interviewers were old white men.)

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely not me- while I have many friends in the LGBTQ community, I'm a guy in a very committed relationship with a woman myself.

Haha, sorry. I could have sworn otherwise. Hmm..who was that...

+1

I mentioned my identity to support my motivation for being involved in LGBTQ activities on about half of my applications. On the other half, I had the same experiences but never explicitly stated my identity. I had success and failures in both types of applications so I'm pretty sure my cycle would've gone the same had I mentioned it on all of my applications or if I had mentioned it on none of them.

I hope that provides you some comfort that either choice is an okay one. Some interviewers ask me some pretty ignorant questions about my orientation during interviews but it was never with malice. They definitely didn't get it and they didn't really need to. As long as they get how you grew from each activity and how that impacts your chosen career in medicine, you're in the clear.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a very successful cycle this past year being out with a lot of EC's based on LGBT activism. Every interview I had involved a lot of my experiences in the LGBT community, and everyone seemed to view it very positively. It will help a lot with standing out from the crowd and it REALLY helps when you find that most secondaries will ask you to write an essay about dealing with adversity or what makes you a diverse candidate. I secured several acceptances being completely out. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me :)
+1 (minus having a lot of ECs for activism)
The majority of my 1 on 1 interviewers were 'old, white men' but they were absolutely wonderful and broached the subject on their own (from my app). Highly supportive and encouraging. I don't think its fair to judge a book by its cover all the time.

Because people take you more seriously if you're part of a big group. While each alternative sexuality/gender identity may not make up a significant percentage of the population on its own, when you put them together you get a sizable group. This means people have no choice but to pay attention when that group is lobbying for social change.

TL;DR - strength in numbers.

Hello lovely people!! I decided my question had already been addressed in other posts so I deleted :)

Last edited:
Hey, hey! Who wants to help out a fellow queer?

Would anyone who had success being out on secondaries be willing to help me? I wrote something but I am pretty sure it is pure garbage. Please PM me :)

Hey, hey! Who wants to help out a fellow queer?

Would anyone who had success being out on secondaries be willing to help me? I wrote something but I am pretty sure it is pure garbage. Please PM me :)

How soon are you trying to get your secondaries in? I can take a look, but wouldn't have a chance until either Wednesday or Friday.

Btw, if anyone else wants someone to look over any essays that deal with LGBTQ identity/issues, consider this an open offer. I'm particularly willing to work with trans folks who are trying to figure out whether/how to come out in applications, as I was in that boat this time last year.

How soon are you trying to get your secondaries in? I can take a look, but wouldn't have a chance until either Wednesday or Friday.

Btw, if anyone else wants someone to look over any essays that deal with LGBTQ identity/issues, consider this an open offer. I'm particularly willing to work with trans folks who are trying to figure out whether/how to come out in applications, as I was in that boat this time last year.

YAY! Thank you!
Yeah it's totally not urgent so no rush. I am just working on pre-writing them now and I am really struggling to articulate anything decent.

Last edited:
YAY! Thank you!
Yeah it's totally not urgent so no rush. I am just working on pre-writing them now and I am really struggling to articulate anything decent.

Ah, smart move -- I forgot that it's pre-writing season. Yeah, those essays are really hard to write. I got your message and will zip you a response tomorrow :)

Also wanted to put an open call for any LGBTQ applicants needing a reader or someone to ask about personal concerns. Longtime lurker here and incoming MS1 and reading threads like these during my cycle helped me be out in the application process! I had a mixed bag of responses during interview season, but I don't think I was discriminated against at all.

I'm giving this thread its yearly bump, because it's got more posts than the entire LGBT forum and it's Pride Month.

Reactions: 8 users
Hi everyone! So glad I found this thread! :)

Is anyone bi and have experience with including this in their secondary? I was asking because I know bisexuality often has a negative stigma, even in the LGBT+ community, and I wasn't sure how it would affect me. I wanted to write about how I developed a sense of pride and self-understanding by finding my community of LGBT friends in college.

Is anyone bi and have experience with including this in their secondary? I was asking because I know bisexuality often has a negative stigma, even in the LGBT+ community, and I wasn't sure how it would affect me. I wanted to write about how I developed a sense of pride and self-understanding by finding my community of LGBT friends in college.

It's true that less mainstream identities often are at the receiving end of stigma. I think it has potential based on how you do it. Happy to take a look and give feedback. Pm me

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm in the '+' end of LGBT+, as an asexual/aromantic. We just got out of the DSM, does anyone know if this was a particularly polarizing topic that could work against me?

I'm in the '+' end of LGBT+, as an asexual/aromantic. We just got out of the DSM, does anyone know if this was a particularly polarizing topic that could work against me?
I don't know if it would it. I think it's likely dependent on the reader, may go either way. I would hope that readers are accepting and truly hoping to foster an inclusive and diverse presence at their school. You shouldn't have to worry about being honest in your application. Less of an issue at liberal schools I would think

Hey guys! I'm FTM transgender. Choosing to disclose to almost all schools of my LGBT status and some specifically my transgender status. Honestly my parents kept me from disclosing my identity during college applications and I am proudly showcasing a part of me that I had kept hidden for so long.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys! I'm FTM transgender. Choosing to disclose to almost all schools of my LGBT status and some specifically my transgender status. Honestly my parents kept me from disclosing my identity during college applications and I am proudly showcasing a part of me that I had kept hidden for so long.

Ugh, same! I actually didn't apply for some relevant scholarships because I knew they'd find out about it. Hopefully med school will be better.

I don't know if it would it. I think it's likely dependent on the reader, may go either way. I would hope that readers are accepting and truly hoping to foster an inclusive and diverse presence at their school. You shouldn't have to worry about being honest in your application. Less of an issue at liberal schools I would think

What you can also do is to check the non discrimination policy and diversity statement of each school. If sexual orientation and gender identity is included I don't think there is much of a risk and tbh would you go to a school that isn't at least tolerant?

Ugh, same! I actually didn't apply for some relevant scholarships because I knew they'd find out about it. Hopefully med school will be better.

Does how you identity affect how you would approach medicine? I think it will be fine to include it if you can provide a new perspective on how it also influences your outlook as a physician.

Choosing to disclose to almost all schools of my LGBT status and some specifically

I guess are you just saying "LGBT" then instead your specific identity at schools where you don't feel comfortable? I am not sure if I should do that or not.

I guess are you just saying "LGBT" then instead your specific identity at schools where you don't feel comfortable? I am not sure if I should do that or not.
Yes that is what I am doing. I am not just leaving it out there though. My parents considered sending me to conversion therapy and I personally went through a lot to regain my own autonomy and it has a huge influence on how I want to approach healthcare with my patients

Does how you identity affect how you would approach medicine? I think it will be fine to include it if you can provide a new perspective on how it also influences your outlook as a physician.
It certainly has affected my interactions with my doctors! I tried to use an ob/gyn as my primary care and that last two visited--there was so much emphasis on reproductive fitness that flat out doesn't apply to me and was actually really bad for my health. I was forced to get a painful, unnecessary test before the doc would give me birth control, which I need for pain. Doctors kind of refuse to believe that I need that medication or just assume I'm lying. Some discussions of procedures are flat out the table because it will destroy my fertility, which I don't care about. When I go to the doctor, I expect my health to be the first priority, not the successful bearing of the kids I don't intend on having. My experiences intersect with my sex/gender (cis) a lot, but I definitely have had bad experiences with doctors ignoring my orientation and treating me like straight after I told them I wasn't. Right now, I actually don't have a main doctor.

It certainly has affected my interactions with my doctors! I tried to use an ob/gyn as my primary care and that last two visited--there was so much emphasis on reproductive fitness that flat out doesn't apply to me and was actually really bad for my health. I was forced to get a painful, unnecessary test before the doc would give me birth control, which I need for pain. Doctors kind of refuse to believe that I need that medication or just assume I'm lying. Some discussions of procedures are flat out the table because it will destroy my fertility, which I don't care about. When I go to the doctor, I expect my health to be the first priority, not the successful bearing of the kids I don't intend on having. My experiences intersect with my sex/gender (cis) a lot, but I definitely have had bad experiences with doctors ignoring my orientation and treating me like straight after I told them I wasn't. Right now, I actually don't have a main doctor.

Incorporate it into your secondary essays!

I am! I'm planning on talking about this specific point in my diversity essays. Bisexual individuals face unique health disparities stemming from being stigmatized in both the general and queer community, and I felt that it was important that bi peeps need to be represented in medicine along with all other underrepresented populations!

Reactions: 2 users
I am! I'm planning on talking about this specific point in my diversity essays. Bisexual individuals face unique health disparities stemming from being stigmatized in both the general and queer community, and I felt that it was important that bi peeps need to be represented in medicine along with all other underrepresented populations!

Agreed! My gf is pansexual and I gotta admit sometimes I let my own biases lead to me judging her in the beginning of our relationship. Bi and pan people often are stereotyped and a lot of it comes from ignorance within and outside the community.

For the thread:
The NIH considers sexual and gender minorities (SGM) a health disparity population for research. Yay!
AAMC resources all focus on non-SGM doctors engaging with SGM patients, not useful for us. Also the important reminder that we are not a URM! Because clearly, that's the only thing we care about.

Thanks, makes sense! I am gonna hope for the best when I include my story :)

Agreed! My gf is pansexual and I gotta admit sometimes I let my own biases lead to me judging her in the beginning of our relationship. Bi and pan people often are stereotyped and a lot of it comes from ignorance within and outside the community.

I stayed in the closet for the longest time because of the automatic slut shaming that comes from the general population and the dismissive "you can hide with your hetero relationship" "you'll pick a side soon" attitudes :/ I realized that sharing my orientation, even when I'm in a stable relationship, is important to fight these stereotypes!

Also, lol regarding the URM status :laugh: I did heard that a few schools like Yale and Mayo are actively recruiting more SGM applicants though. I'm just happy that we generally won't be discriminated against anymore (*shm @ loma linda*)

Incorporate it into your secondary essays!
I'm not applying this cycle, but I probably will! I'm considering making it my adversity essay, not my diversity essay though. But from people's threads it kind of sounds like those two are melding together? Current applicants, is that true or are there still two separate ones.

I stayed in the closet for the longest time because of the automatic slut shaming that comes from the general population and the dismissive "you can hide with your hetero relationship" "you'll pick a side soon" attitudes :/ I realized that sharing my orientation, even when I'm in a stable relationship, is important to fight these stereotypes!

Also, lol regarding the URM status :laugh: I did heard that a few schools like Yale and Mayo are actively recruiting more SGM applicants though. I'm just happy that we generally won't be discriminated against anymore (*shm @ loma linda*)

Agreed!

I'm not applying this cycle, but I probably will! I'm considering making it my adversity essay, not my diversity essay though. But from people's threads it kind of sounds like those two are melding together? Current applicants, is that true or are there still two separate ones.

It really depends on how the school asks the diversity/adversity questions and the word count lol. Some allow you to go really in depth with it while others only give you a few sentences. I recommend prewriting them tbh.

It's a tough topic. Bisexuals are the red headed stepchildren of the traditional LGBT community. Transexuals have largely gained acceptance at this point, and yet bisexuals are still hanging on the outskirts of the community, all too often viewed as closet cases/unwilling to accept their homosexuality if they're in a heterosexual relationship, as sluts if they're not in a relationship and vary the sex of their partners, or as not willing to fully commit to being homosexual if they're in a same sex relationship. Straight people, and particularly older straight people, tend to have more trouble with it- we all know the common refrains of a girl "just doing it for attention" or a guy "that's just gay but not willing to admit it." Basically, I don't know if the unconscious bias of a given reader will affect their evaluation, as unfair as that may be. But I guess I'm just overly cynical about people. That being said, it would probably be fine for a diversity essay, but many people wrongly don't view it as an identity, so as a PS topic it might work against you.

That being said, it would probably be fine for a diversity essay, but many people wrongly don't view it as an identity, so as a PS topic it might work against you.

Thanks for your suggestion! Yeah I def did NOT include it in my PS lol! I was thinking in some of the diversity essays, and am thinking just writing "LGBT member" vs bisexual.. I can expand on interviews if they really want to know more haha.

It doesn't mean that they're the same. They ban together as allies to reach common goals such as inclusive non-discrimination policies.

Hospitals still sometimes fail to include all of these groups in their diversity training.

U Chicago and JHU are friendly to LGBT candidates, according to SDNers

If anyone is considering applying here in the South, definitely consider ATLANTA. Apart from the bad rap GA generally gets for being anti LGBT, Atlanta and its surrounding areas have been very accepting and we have a tremendously large LGBT population here that is loud and proud. We just recently permanently added a rainbow crosswalk in the heart of the city.

And someone just had a post where one school specifically considers LGBT as URM on their secondary. For the life of me I can't remember, but it was a very recent post! Help me, kids!

Once I get on my laptop I'll be on it goro!

And someone just had a post where one school specifically considers LGBT as URM on their secondary. For the life of me I can't remember, but it was a very recent post! Help me, kids!

Don't know the post, but Northwestern does: Prospective Students: Diversity and Inclusion: Feinberg School of Medicine: Northwestern University

The Association of American Medical Colleges “AAMC” defines underrepresented in medicine (URM) as “racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population”. Feinberg is unique in their broad definition of URM, which includes not only students from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups, but also other racial and ethnic, religious, gender, and sexual identities; people with disabilities, and socioeconomic diversity.