the lifestyle of an MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runt901

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Once you've graduated, you've gotten a position (doing academic research, let's say), is there any time to do anything else besides biomedical research and clinical stuff? Or is being an MD/PhD an emotionally- and mentally-consuming (let's say in a good way) career, more so than other professions?

Is it possible to make time to engage in social activism? Or is grant-writing and running a lab going to take over my life?

After talking to some MD/PhDs, I've heard that it's difficult but possible to have a family and also a career...but I haven't really heard about whether there's time or energy to pursue other meaningful activities. Do you know of any examples (like people you might work with who do cool things outside of lab)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

so...i hear that Peter Jackson works 120 hours a week for three years after principle photography of Lord of the Rings. He's still got two kids and a long term partner.

What career do you want to pick that does not require a lot of commitment and still succeed?

I came across an article, in which Dr Engman talked about his career. And this is what he said....

Dr. David Engman, Director of Northwestern MSTP
You can combine biomedical research and clinical medicine while also having plenty of time for a rich and rewarding personal life. Those who tell you otherwise likely have not found the keys to making it happen

emphasis on plenty time for a rich and rewarding personal life.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: