The LOCUMS how to guide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone done locums through Nomad? I can't post the link since I'm relatively new but if you search Nomad Health on google it will come up. The idea behind Nomad is to eliminate the 'middleman' so to speak. I've been told to stay away from the agencies as they tend to take a huge cut out of your pay. Cabinbuilder have you tried doing locums by contacting either the clinic/urgent care center etc directly without going through an agency?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone done locums through Nomad? I can't post the link since I'm relatively new but if you search Nomad Health on google it will come up. The idea behind Nomad is to eliminate the 'middleman' so to speak. I've been told to stay away from the agencies as they tend to take a huge cut out of your pay. Cabinbuilder have you tried doing locums by contacting either the clinic/urgent care center etc directly without going through an agency?

You can probably do this, but know that the clinic/UC will contract you, so you'll be responsible for paperwork, malpractice insurance etc.

I actually did this with my current position, a friend actually worked w/ the system prior to it, and I signed directly w/ them vs. going through locums company. The pay is the same, but the locums company was restricted to working for 2 months, than having to decide if i wanted to stay on or not (otherwise they wouldn't schedule me further).

No, I have always gone through an agency. Not sure why you would want to hassle with your own travel, housing, credentialing, malpractice, etc. Plus, if you have any issues at the site then you have an advocate who can cancel your contract. Much less messy. The agency does not take a cut out of your pay. I get paid the going rate. The agency charges the site for their services. If you did the leg work yourself the site would not pay you extra for not going through an agency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another question I thought of! So, currently in my residency we get a decent number of skills that we learn, however, I don't know if I have enough skills work in Urgent Care. I was looking at some of these skills and procedure clinics that they hold for advance practitioners. Do you guys think it would be worth doing one to help improve my skills on random procedures that might walk into an urgent care? Some different websites I've been looking is this: SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA: Friday October 23 and Saturday October 24, 2015
I know it's kind of expensive, but some of these things I don't think I will get a chance to practice or do in residency, and I'm really interested in either outpatient or UC locums right after graduating residency.

Another question I thought of! So, currently in my residency we get a decent number of skills that we learn, however, I don't know if I have enough skills work in Urgent Care. I was looking at some of these skills and procedure clinics that they hold for advance practitioners. Do you guys think it would be worth doing one to help improve my skills on random procedures that might walk into an urgent care? Some different websites I've been looking is this: SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA: Friday October 23 and Saturday October 24, 2015
I know it's kind of expensive, but some of these things I don't think I will get a chance to practice or do in residency, and I'm really interested in either outpatient or UC locums right after graduating residency.

I guess it depends on how confident you are in your suturing, splinting, injections, excisions, and toenail removals? I don't put in IUD's but have pulled them out.

Hey Cabinbuilder did you ever consult with a contract lawyer to review any short term assignment contracts? I'm in the process of setting up my first short term assignment and wanted to see if it was worthwhile to consult a contract review lawyer. Thanks.

Hey Cabinbuilder did you ever consult with a contract lawyer to review any short term assignment contracts? I'm in the process of setting up my first short term assignment and wanted to see if it was worthwhile to consult a contract review lawyer. Thanks.
Not sure what you would gain by doing that? All locums companies have their own lawyers so if there are issues or lawsuits that's in place for you. If the site is not what they say it is, you just make a call and leave. What is your concern? Locums contract is generally one page.