The Market for PhDs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hydrogonian

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a comm disorders 2nd degree student who will graduate in the fall. I have realized that I'm a lot more professionally interested in Audiology than I am in Speech Pathology.

However, the economics of the Aud degree are hard to swallow when everything is considered (price of degree, time spent in school, market competition from HDs, job availability compared to SLP's, average salaries, etc..)

The one way that I can resolve all of this seems to be with the potential career possibilities offered by a PhD in either Hearing Science or Communication Disorders( which seems to be replacing the hearing science PhD, if I'm not mistaken in my observation).

I think that I am a natural teacher, a natural researcher, and I feel that I would get a lot of satisfaction from such a career path IF I could be certain that it would be worthwhile as far as both job availability and salary are concerned. I don't need to be wealthy, and I don't need 20 jobs to be available in every city, but I also don't want to struggle for either jobs nor money should I invest the time and effort in pursuing this PhD. I would also prefer to qualify for my CCC-A along the way.

So, what is the job market like for PhDs with either a focus (if a Communication Disorders PhD) or outright degree in Hearing Science? This includes industry, academia, and anything else that you can suggest. I don't want to have to hustle after sacrificing all of that time in school. I want to get out and have the world as my oyster, so to speak. That doesn't mean that I want to rest on my laurels, but just that I want to have a lot of available and attractive options. Maybe that's my age talking (34), but its already going to be a large sacrifice to spend all of that time in school. Therefore, I want to make sure that it will pay off later in both professional satisfaction (I believe that it will) and what the job market can offer.
 
I think the market for PhDs is great! (Then again, I'm biased as I will be entering an AuD/PhD program in the fall.) Here's the thing about research positions, though: they prefer that you have clinical experience. Without it, you'll probably be limited to teaching positions. Unfortunately, most PhD programs offer little or no clinical instruction and are not for people who want to become certified.

If you're interested in research and would like to get your Cs, I recommend a combined program. UIowa has one, and I know there are others as well. That way, you'll only need an extra 2 years and you'll have both degrees. If you get tired of practicing, you can research, and vice versa. It is a big bill to swallow, but considering your age (and possible experience?) you'll have a good chance of getting an assistanceship which means in-state tuition and a stipend... that makes it much more palatable. Good luck in your decision! It's nice to hear of a fellow researcher. 🙂

Just have to add, the ASHA website has a nice search engine for AuD/PhD programs.
http://www.asha.org/edfind.htm
 
i can't guarantee you a job but i know the market for phd's in slp/aud is way greater than in most fields. and the demand is not just for having a phd, it's for research. there are a lot of phd's who are working clinically. our field has a real need for more evidence-based practice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i think your asking for too much, you will likely have to move pretty far to find a job( look at any comm dis faculty page, look at where they got their phd, most moved 5 states away or across to the other coast), as a phd you will be a slave until you graduate having no social life, you really have to love statistics and what your researching to make it bearable, as far as pay, you will start at the bottom of the totem pole as an assistant prof, your 34 now? add 5-6 years, and your making 55-60k (varies a ton with region, but u get the idea), you are better off just getting the aud, if you want more pay and more job opportunities; getting your phd and then getting your ccc's sounds like way too much work, but its all your call in the end. Dont make it all about some crazy idea to have the perfect job you "love", i see people chasing this ideal all the time, its overated!, get a nice/decent job that pays well, use the money to enjoy your life!!!, my 2 cents, also i have seen many ads for research based non teaching positions at labs , most of them only require an aud, no phd required!!

Good luck
 
Take this with a grain of salt (just like I'm sure you did with my post); SLP is a Debbie Downer.


i think your asking for too much, you will likely have to move pretty far to find a job( look at any comm dis faculty page, look at where they got their phd, most moved 5 states away or across to the other coast), as a phd you will be a slave until you graduate having no social life, you really have to love statistics and what your researching to make it bearable, as far as pay, you will start at the bottom of the totem pole as an assistant prof, your 34 now? add 5-6 years, and your making 55-60k (varies a ton with region, but u get the idea), you are better off just getting the aud, if you want more pay and more job opportunities; getting your phd and then getting your ccc's sounds like way too much work, but its all your call in the end. Dont make it all about some crazy idea to have the perfect job you "love", i see people chasing this ideal all the time, its overated!, get a nice/decent job that pays well, use the money to enjoy your life!!!, my 2 cents, also i have seen many ads for research based non teaching positions at labs , most of them only require an aud, no phd required!!

Good luck
 
i think your asking for too much, you will likely have to move pretty far to find a job( look at any comm dis faculty page, look at where they got their phd, most moved 5 states away or across to the other coast), as a phd you will be a slave until you graduate having no social life, you really have to love statistics and what your researching to make it bearable, as far as pay, you will start at the bottom of the totem pole as an assistant prof, your 34 now? add 5-6 years, and your making 55-60k (varies a ton with region, but u get the idea), you are better off just getting the aud, if you want more pay and more job opportunities; getting your phd and then getting your ccc's sounds like way too much work, but its all your call in the end. Dont make it all about some crazy idea to have the perfect job you "love", i see people chasing this ideal all the time, its overated!, get a nice/decent job that pays well, use the money to enjoy your life!!!, my 2 cents, also i have seen many ads for research based non teaching positions at labs , most of them only require an aud, no phd required!!

Good luck

Irrelevant. For those interested in going for your PhD, speak to an actual person with a PhD in this field. Gathering info from paper or online (e.g., advertisement, etc) isn't enough and a waste of time.
 
Take this with a grain of salt (just like I'm sure you did with my post); SLP is a Debbie Downer.

it may not be an overly positive post but there is some truth to it. academia doesn't tend to pay well until you've put in your years, published, and acquired tenure. when you're 21 everything is possible and the opportunity cost of not working for 6+ years doesn't seem as great. you have to weigh your costs and benefits. if you love research and that's your dream then it's worth it. The purpose of getting a PhD is to do research.

also there are research jobs available without PhD's in industry. you're probably more competitive with the PhD but having a master's or an AuD doesn't disqualify you. if you look at a lot of industry research jobs in other fields, most people don't have doctorates because they realize they can make more money dropping out of their PhD program, foregoing a career in academia, and going to work for the industry. that's not what i'm recommending but i'm just saying.

I think there is a lot of pressure to get a PhD in our field, because of several things. 1-We're a small field and it's a small applicant pool and programs want to boost their enrollment in PhD programs. 2-There is a need for more research for evidence-based practice. 3-And people think they need a PhD to get respect from MD's. I sympathize with #2 and think that we should all be aware of this as we enter the field and do our part in whatever form that may take. #1 and #3 I don't sympathize so much with. #1 is simply manipulation and #3 is ridiculous. The way to boost the respect of our field is to act respectably. How many doctorates do we freaking need? Also this was the topic of a previous and heated topic, but I think raising the quality of our AuD programs by raising admission criteria, increasing the rigor, and having appropriate avenues to dismiss students when necessary is another way to increase the respect in our field.
 
I very much appreciate everyone's perspective and responses. Thank you.

I suppose that I'll address some of SLP's comments first, since his/hers are most divergent.

i think your asking for too much, you will likely have to move pretty far to find a job( look at any comm dis faculty page, look at where they got their phd, most moved 5 states away or across to the other coast),
This is true for almost all PhD markets, no?


as a phd you will be a slave until you graduate having no social life, you really have to love statistics and what your researching to make it bearable,
This might be a little bit of hyperbole. I think its how you frame it for yourself. If you go about getting the PhD in the traditional way, then you don't pay for your PhD and you get paid to do it.

"Social life" has to be qualified.

Having to "love statistics" makes it sound like a PhD in hearing science is crunching large sets of data all day. Although being competent with statistical data is crucial, I don't believe that crunching raw data points all day, every day, is the job. At least not most jobs.

as far as pay, you will start at the bottom of the totem pole as an assistant prof, your 34 now? add 5-6 years, and your making 55-60k (varies a ton with region, but u get the idea),
I'm not that worried about the pay at this point. I have another stream of income which will continue through school and the beginning years. I'm more concerned acquiring a challenging and fulfilling career.

Also, with a clinical cert in addition to a PhD, I hope to qualify for the widest range of positions including audiology department head in a medical setting.

A position such as this is a good example:

https://ais.ohsu.edu/OA_HTML/OA.jsp?OAFunc=IRC_VIS_VAC_DISPLAY&p_svid=33270


you are better off just getting the aud, if you want more pay and more job opportunities;
How does the entry level clinical doctorate offer more pay an opportunities than a PhD with a CCC-A?
getting your phd and then getting your ccc's sounds like way too much work, but its all your call in the end.
Its a lot of work, I agree. But a worse fate is putting in less work for a career that I wont be happy in, and wishing I would have spent the extra two years to get the terminal degree but not having the time / money / flexibility / resources to then complete it.

Dont make it all about some crazy idea to have the perfect job you "love", i see people chasing this ideal all the time, its overated!,
I agree and disagree. I agree that there is no perfect job. I disagree that a person should think that its a necessary evil to put up with a position that he or she has almost zero professional interest in for the course of a career. For instance, Id have trouble doing SLP in a medical setting for more than a couple of years, no matter what the paycheck was on offer.

i have seen many ads for research based non teaching positions at labs , most of them only require an aud, no phd required!!
yeah, but my research indicates that the PhD opens up enough additional opportunities to make it worthwhile if an audiologist doesn't want to work in the clinical environment. Meaning, getting an Aud while knowing one wanted to work in research is backward and will greatly limit you in the end.

@SLP - I greatly appreciate your comments. Don't take my rebuttals as antagonistic. Your perspective is what I need to flesh out my path. Please respond again, if you wish, and have a great night.



Now, to address some of Cidanu's comments

academia doesn't tend to pay well until you've put in your years, published, and acquired tenure. when you're 21 everything is possible and the opportunity cost of not working for 6+ years doesn't seem as great. you have to weigh your costs and benefits. if you love research and that's your dream then it's worth it.
True

The purpose of getting a PhD is to do research.
This is technically true. However, from a practical and self-centered perspective, the purpose of the PhD is to open up specific career opportunities. Those opportunities extend beyond mere research. Teaching, consulting, and administration are the other opportunities that a PhD presents. Additionally, with a clinical cert, I believe that the PhD does instill a greater sense of trust in people if an audiologist ever wanted to open a clinical practice. The consequence of this greater degree of trust, in potentially leading to better professional and business success, shouldn't be underestimated.

also there are research jobs available without PhD's in industry. you're probably more competitive with the PhD but having a master's or an AuD doesn't disqualify you. if you look at a lot of industry research jobs in other fields, most people don't have doctorates because they realize they can make more money dropping out of their PhD program, foregoing a career in academia, and going to work for the industry. that's not what i'm recommending but i'm just saying
.

good point. Is that really why most people don't have PhD's?

I think there is a lot of pressure to get a PhD in our field, because of several things. 1-We're a small field and it's a small applicant pool and programs want to boost their enrollment in PhD programs. 2-There is a need for more research for evidence-based practice. 3-And people think they need a PhD to get respect from MD's. I sympathize with #2 and think that we should all be aware of this as we enter the field and do our part in whatever form that may take. #1 and #3 I don't sympathize so much with. #1 is simply manipulation and #3 is ridiculous.
I agree that the reasoning behind the pursuit of a doctorate should be sound. Although, I disagree that a real increase in respect is a ridiculous reason to pursue a PhD. I agree that it should not be the only reason to do so. However, respect from colleague's is what leads to bigger and better career opportunities. Especially respect from MD's, who are the gatekeepers for higher level positions in medical, and some medically oriented academic, settings. I understand the knee jerk reaction to not want to do something to please others. However, I believe that sometimes doing so is a necessary evil. Especially when long term career aspirations are taken into consideration.

The way to boost the respect of our field is to act respectably. How many doctorates do we freaking need?
I guess that the same question could be applied to Auds. I don't believe that there is a shortage of Auds to address any of the conditions within their scope of practice that do not including hearing aid dispensing. And we know, it doesn't take an Aud to dispense hearing aids. Yet, that is what most do.

Also, how many doctorates in hearing science graduate each year? Not that many. Additionally, many professors and other PhD filled positions will be retiring soon. But you are right, as with any profession, how many of anyone do we need? Its sort of an unanswerable question without some statistics to reference.

Also this was the topic of a previous and heated topic, but I think raising the quality of our AuD programs by raising admission criteria, increasing the rigor, and having appropriate avenues to dismiss students when necessary is another way to increase the respect in our field.
Right. Although, if someone was doing a doctorate purely for respect, then that would be the wrong reason. Conversely, I actually strongly disagree with the field moving to the Aud as the standard. I don't think that the economic reality of clinical practice supports it when scope of practice, competition from HADs, tuition, salaries, and time in school is taken into account.

As I before stated with 'SLP', I greatly appreciate your feedback. Please respond again if you wish.

Thanks again, everyone.
 
Last edited:
The industries I had in mind regarding research jobs without PhD's were robotics and linguistics.

A friend of mine got his PhD in robotics from Carnegie Mellon and told me that few people go all the way to the PhD because they realize they can make more working in industry than in academia and don't need it.

Linguistics is a little different. I studied it as an undergrad and had friends continue on to graduate studies. If you do computational linguistics you can work in industry without a PhD and make a lot of money. If you want to do anything else you're probably relegated to academia so a PhD would be preferred. It's a field with a large number of aspiring professors and not a lot of positions.

I wouldn't say that either of these fields is very similar to audiology. I guess my point is just that there are a lot of roads to walk down and different ways to get to where you want to be. I came into audiology thinking there were two choices-clinician or professor, and as time has gone on I've learned what people are doing and there really is a variety of roles you can choose to pursue and different ways to arrive at them.
 
also when i said "how many doctorates do we freaking need?" i was referring to how many degrees do we need to list at the end of our names, not how many people with doctorates do we need. that's a good question though. mine was more an exasperated rhetorical statement. 🙂

i fully support getting a phd for research but i think if our profession spent so much time and effort getting the Aud, then we should use it as our terminal professional degree. i keep hearing that AuD's are thought of as tech's by a lot of md's and that's another reason getting a phd is desirable. i think that by giving that kind of rationale credit that we are doing a disservice to the AuD. a lot of md's don't even consider dentists to be real doctors, so if it's true that they think of us as tech's, is that surprising? the point is who cares. that's not a good reason to get a phd.
 
Sorry I am not savvy at quoting things from previous posts, and I am a he, lol. I wrote my past post kind of fast, to touch on some things that you said.

"This is true for almost all PhD markets, no?"

- I have seen the harder sciences, ex(engineering, chemistry, physics) but not all of them, have much better luck at finding good high paying research jobs right away.

"How does the entry level clinical doctorate offer more pay an opportunities than a PhD with a CCC-A?"

- I meant to say that it offers pay and more job opportunities right away, some could disagree and say that phd's have more jobs and more pay, but u can decide for yourself

Thats about it, good luck with your decision