The meaning of "infer"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mohad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for the TPR class, our verbal teacher says that infer means that it has to be supported by the passage. However, I've come across the word infer in the biological sciences section a few times and followed this methodology and have gotten questions wrong because I didn't make logical leaps. Does the word "infer" mean the same thing in the science sections as it does in the verbal, or was it just coincidental that the questions that I got wrong were not "directly supported by the passage"?

Edit: To clarify, I'm getting science questions wrong because I infer using prior konwledge, but in the verbal, you're not allowed to do that. So are you allowed to use outside/learned knowledge not in the passage on the science sections when the question asks you to "infer"?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've noticed this same crap. Sometimes I'll get a verbal q wrong and the reason will be because I made an inference based on a known fact that wasn't presented in the passage. Then on another question the correct answer is inferred based off of a leap of logic.

TPR's verbal is notoriously bad for having these sort of mostly-subjective seeming questions. It's very frustrating - try to stick with it, though. Ignore their mapping and question-attacking suggestions, pay attention to their triage technique, and don't freak out about low verbal scores on your practice tests. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you do some AAMC CBTs.

TPR's verbal is notoriously bad for having these sort of mostly-subjective seeming questions. It's very frustrating - try to stick with it, though. Ignore their mapping and question-attacking suggestions, pay attention to their triage technique, and don't freak out about low verbal scores on your practice tests. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you do some AAMC CBTs.

Ok, that's good. I have a lot of trouble with TPR verbal. Actually, I just have trouble with verbal in general. Hopefully AAMC will be a bit easier.

I don't feel like starting a new thread, so I'll ask in here:
I have about a week left in content review for TPR, and so I was wondering, should I start hitting the AAMC tests? My real test is on August 19, so I was planning on doing a test every other day after my class ends august first and reviewing the test hardcore the next day and going over the sections that I missed. I still have like 4 TPR tests left and I've been scoring in the low 30s on the past 5 TPR tests that I have taken. Both my science scores fluctuate between 11-13 but my verbal is really erratic, ranging from 7-10, usually on the 8-9 border. Would it be beneficial for me to start doing AAMCs this week as opposed to next week, or would it be a waste of material since I haven't gone over magnetism, optics, EM waves, harmonic motion, the reproductive system, skeletal system, and embryology.

I'm always hesitant to dole out the SDN-standard advice, so this is all IMHO and take it with a grain of salt. If you're getting 30+'s on your TPR full-lengths, you're doing just fine. Princeton tends to emphasize specific calculation-heavy science sections and, frankly, pretty bad verbal sections. I would imagine your AAMC average will be at least equal to what you've got going now.

Keep in mind that I didn't tell you to wholly disregard their verbal - just that you'll see a lot of particularly difficult and frustrating question types in their material. While not very good for me in an overall sense, there were several times on my MCAT where I was glad to have seen that sort of deception before.

I would not suggest taking more than two full-lengths a week - and much of SDN will say even that is too much. Like I said - everybody is different. If you can honestly do three to four CBT's a week while still reviewing them adequately and without getting burned out: go for it. I was able to do two a week, but I don't find long tests particularly exhausting. Low verbal scores are often a sign of burnout, however. Be careful.

With all the requisite disclaimers on my point of view, I would suggest that you start taking the AAMC tests now, and disregard the rest of TPR's full lengths. Make sure you do 8-11, and I suggest saving 11 for your last test.

TPR has phenomenal teachers (or did for my online course) and great content review, but I found their practice materials to be far too specific and "hope you memorized this exact equation"esque. They're good for learning fast math and identifying where your content gaps are, but I didn't find them terribly representative of what the real MCAT was like - whereas the AAMC's were fairly similar.

Take an AAMC and see how you do - as I said, I think you'll be, at the very least, relieved. Ugh. I still remember arguing with TPR's answer key in verbal.