The Menstraul Cycle Made Easy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osimsDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is everything you need to know:

1) The hypothalamus monitors the levels of estrogen and progesterone in the blood. When low levels of these hormones are present in the blood, the hypothalamus is stimulated to produce GnRH and that actually stimulates the anterior pituitary to secrete FSH and LH.

2) FSH secreted from the anterior pituitary stimulates the follicle and the oocyte.

3) The follicle secretes estrogen now and therefore stimulates the hypothalamus once again to produce GnRH and stimulate the anterior pituitary to secrete LH. This is known as positive feedback because levels of estrogen increase the levels of LH. High levels of LH known as an LH surge triggers ovulation.

4) After ovulation the follicle is now called the corpus luteum and it continues to produce estrogen and progesterone in the presense of LH.

5) Estrogen and Progesterone stimulate the development of the endometrium which is the side lining of the uterus. It thickens in prep for implantation of the fertilized egg (if it even happens).

6) Negative feedback from high levels of estrogen and progesterone cause the anterior pituitary to to cancel production of FSH and LH.

7) When FSH and LH are not produced the corpus luteum deteriorates and as a result estrogen and progesterone production halts (remember the corpus luteum produces estrogen and progesterone, without it these hormones are not present anymore). And if there are no more estrogen and progesterone then the endometrium also deteriorates because those hormones support it.
Now begins menstraution and flow of blood and crap...haha sorry

8) If implantation occurs the fertilized embryo will secrete HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) to sustain the corpus luteum (again remember the corpus luteum is important because it produces the hormones estrogen and progesteron needed to sustain the endometrium). Later the HCG is replaced by progesterone produced by the placenta of the growing embryo.

Hope this helps many people get confused so i thought i would help and put this thread up...

Members don't see this ad.

Awesome man! Have you ever thought about going into Gynecology? lol, anyway, great explanations. Very helpful, b/c alot of times in text's they don't go into so much details.

You are the best.Though,often I envy you for all the info that you can take in and apparently I can not but still you are the best, and I can see and sense that shinny 23+ on top of you DAT record!
Good luck and please keep going with all these informative thread.