SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

The Most Irritating Pre-Osteo Thread

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Static Line, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Static Line

Static Line America's Guard of Honor 5+ Year Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Coming up to the end of second year and now preparing for boards has dramatically shortened the amount of BS :bullcrap: I can look at or tolerate. So I am in one of my moods that I hopefully shake after 10 August. So while I am sitting here typing on the pre-osteo forum instead of studying for boards like my dumb a$$ should be doing I am wondering if anyone else would like to let loose on what "threads" (besides this one) or questions on the pre-osteo forum strike that nerve with you. Come on MS-IIs don't let me down. Even our MS-IVs getting ready to graduate to kindergarten need to chime in on this one. I wonder if I get terminated for this thread.

OK- I'll start

"UMM, I partied too much in college and my GPA sucks and my MCAT is bottom of the barrel but I have a good personality and I volunteer a lot. Basically I am the worst candidate to apply to DO schools but they like the whole person. Do I have a chance?"

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. DragonWell

DragonWell Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Nov 20, 2004
    I'm going to have to go with the old classic "What is the best DO school" thread.

These particular threads are started by two distinct groups of users - the early season threads are started by people whose user names are always Dr.something or other. These folks need to know what the best school is since they are "planning" on getting a 45 on the MCAT.

The late season ones occur in fall after the rejection letters start shipping and are always started by someone whose username is something or other, MD. These folks need to know what the best DO school is because, even though they felt "obligated" to apply to allopathic schools, deep down they've always been "into" the DO philosophy.

It's like Repo Man - "You find one in every car, kid. You'll see". It happens every year - you'll see.

4. Oculus Sinistra

Oculus Sinistra Finish it. 5+ Year Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Florida
    "Can D.O.'s get jobs?"

is probably the worst one.

5. spicedmanna

spicedmanna Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

"DO vs. MD, which is better? What are differences; the pros and cons?" :rolleyes:

:barf:

6. Tired

Tired Fading away 7+ Year Member

Dec 12, 2006
    You guys got nothing on the Pre-Allo set. If the majority of their threads revolved around honest but overdone questions, I'd be happy. Instead we get threads like this:

"Parents keep telling me I will never become a doctor! What should I do?"
    "How do you stay awake?"
    "What Happens After Residency?"
    "i stutter, should I still be a doctor?"

and of course, the classic "Poop Hotdog" thread.

Bleah.

7. dctrgreen

dctrgreen Junior Member 2+ Year Member

Jul 29, 2006
    tennessee
    should i go D.O. or to the caribbean?

do M.D.s get paid more than D.O.s?

what is the best D.O. school to go into (fill in the blank with some super specialized field that only like 2 people get into every year MD or DO)...

be honest...why did you really choose DO?

my uncle,a garbage collector, who is one hundred years old said that i shouldn't go DO...what do you think?

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

these are some of the best i have seen lately...

it is funny to be able to immedately identify all of the pre-allo/osteo. by the stupidity and the frequency with which they post...nice to see that others appreciate this as well.

8. froggiepremed

froggiepremed not "Pre" any more 2+ Year Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Harrogate, TN
    MDApps:
    Do D.O.'s only do bone work?

How do I shadow a D.O. (but somehow I KNOW I want to do osteopathic medicine???)

9. jp104

jp104 Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 18, 2004
    NYC
    "I have a 1.7 GPA and a 18 MCAT, but I love the DO philosophy (after all the MD schools laughed in my face). Do I stand a chance?"

Or the reverse;

"I have a 3.9 GPA and a 42T MCAT...Do I stand a chance or should I look at carrib?"

"The lunch lady at the hospital cafeteria told me that the dude who cleans the autoclave gives the DOs orders, is that true?"

:laugh:

10. scdocusc

scdocusc 2+ Year Member

Nov 12, 2006
    how about this thread itself!!!

11. Porco Rosso

Porco Rosso 2+ Year Member

Apr 14, 2007
    TX Longhorns
    I believe this is moderators fault. why dont they just lock all these forums early and refer them to stickies.

Many ppl who post do not know forum rules and may feel that they are "special" and need personal advice so create a forum...

The best thing I ever did for DO preparation is READ "the DOs" book. It explains the whole history of he profession and where it has progressed to... I highly suggest it...

My best was: "are there any asian-indians in osteopathic medical schools" :scared:

12. VALSALVA

VALSALVA sh*t or get off the pot 7+ Year Member

Apr 19, 2004
    I'm going to have to go with the more recent trend of people referring to themselves as "MS-0" . It's not really a thread per se, but can be found all over this forum.

13. amathew

amathew Junior Member 2+ Year Member

Jul 11, 2006
    and people wonder why, despite being an indian, i try to stay away from the brown crowd...i personally apologize for that person's ignorance...not ALL asian indians are that pompous...most are, but not all...at least, it makes for a funny thread like this :laugh:

14. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned Banned 10+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2000
    "Hi, I'm Dr Inviz..."

15. GreenShirt

GreenShirt 10+ Year Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Yes, once you've been on here a while, seeing the same threads over and over again is annoying. However, digging through old threads to find something isn't that fun either for new people. I think we should give the newbies a break, since at one point we all asked the same questions. People come here to soothe their fears and learn about the crazy med school process, as senior members we should help them out. If you want original posts, then create them. There's only so many topics that you can cover on a pre-osteo forum before they become redundant.

16. Dr JPH

Feb 4, 2000
    They dont have to dig. They just simply read the FAQ at the top of the page.

17. froggiepremed

froggiepremed not "Pre" any more 2+ Year Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Harrogate, TN
    MDApps:
    JP, are you saying this only because Dr. I can't fight back (i.e. on hold)

18. Static Line

Dec 5, 2004
    Have you changed your screenname from something else. Your join date is only 3 months ago and you're calling yourself a senior member who has been looking at the same questions for years. It just takes a simple search to get the idea on this forum and learn what is what. If you don't find it then...

Now JP Hazelton joined 7 years ago--I guess by those standards JP we'll just have to start calling you "father time." :laugh:

19. GreenShirt

Feb 6, 2007
    I did only join 3 months ago, but I have over twice as many posts as you, which possibly indicates that I have spent more time looking at threads than you. Even in the short span of time I have spent on SDN, I have become annnoyed with seeing the same/stupid posts. Yes, I want to post snarky responses to them, but then I remind myself that they're just raising issues that seemed important when I was at that stage as well.

Both you and JP are well into your med school careers. If you're bored/iritated by the pre-osteo posts you should spend time on other forums that are more relevant to you such as the "Osteo" or "Specialty" forums. Just because you're so far removed from the concerns on pre-osteo doesn't give you the right to bash pre-meds posts as irrelevant.

20. Static Line

Dec 5, 2004
    I am not bashing pre osteos. We were all one once. However, preosteos need to get into the habit NOW not later of finding things out on their own, and not asking someone else everytime they don't know an answer. That is what is going to be expected of you as a student doctor your first day of class.

BTW--You have more posts than me because you obviously have more time to do nothing else.

21. GreenShirt

Feb 6, 2007
    I have been physically restrained from going on SDN by concerned loved ones. Maybe there should be an "SDN Anonymous" forum for addicts...oh wait, that would just make it worse.

I agree it's good to learn how to find things yourself. I think SDN is like a therapist for most pre-meds, they don't necessarily need an answer to a question as much as they need SDNers to reach out and say "There, there now. Everything's going to be OK".

If there's one difference between Pre-Allo and Pre-Osteo, it's the amount of in-fighting that's found on the latter. Peace!

22. spicedmanna

spicedmanna Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

:lol: In many cases, I would agree. However, it should be noted that therapists who want to truly resolve the issue probably won't resort to, "There, there now. Everything's going to be OK." The "there, there" attitude basically means that the therapist is playing out the "helper" role and the patient is then playing out the "victim" role; the two roles require each other. It's usually an endless cycle until somebody chooses to take responsibility. ;)

23. Static Line

Dec 5, 2004
    I don't pat any one on the a$$ and tell them it's gonna be ok. For some it's not. For others who make it in to med school it's not either. I know people who I now call former classmates who were released because they couldn't make the grade. And yet still, there are those who can't pass their board exam. It's not ok until you make it, and it is up to you to do it. Noone else!

24. DragonWell

DragonWell Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Nov 20, 2004
    I love SDN, but I think it is not being run very efficiently. I can't think of many sites that brown out as much or run as slow as SDN. One has to wonder if some of the threads cluttering up the database are really worthy of being archived for all eternity.

One pretty obvious solution is to have a shoutbox for each forum and especially for the lounge, so that people can crack jokes, ask questions, and chat without it being stored forever. People would get faster answers to their questions, and searches would be easier cause fewer of the posts would be junk. The forum would still exist exactly as it is, people would just have another way to interact.

25. Dr JPH

Feb 4, 2000
    Is he again?

:laugh:

I didnt know. Funny.

26. Dr JPH

Feb 4, 2000
    Yeah. I think Im worthy of the senior member title. :thumbup:

27. DoctorMom78

DoctorMom78 Sky Glory 2+ Year Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    The most irritating pre-osteo thread is.....ANYTHING WITH ANY REFERENCE TO STAR TREK IN IT!!!!! :beat: :beat: :beat: :smuggrin: ;)

28. Tired

Dec 12, 2006
    If that's a reference to me, I'm going to run to the mods crying! :D

29. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Wild west of Mistytown
    Exactly, many users have asked the same questions that are getting flamed. They just won't admit it.

30. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    :lol: :lol: :lol: OH NO!!! PLEASE, ANYTHING BUT THAT!!!:eek: :scared: :smuggrin: :laugh:

31. mdille2

mdille2 Mom of 5 5+ Year Member

May 31, 2005
    Illinois
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :D :D

32. scpod

scpod Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Not me. I don't like to look stupid so I do silly things like checking the FAQ, using the search function, and browsing through yesterday's threads (since, undoubtedly, somebody already asked the question before).

And you know...I've found out the most interesting thing: I don't have to wait for someone to answer my posts-- I just read the answers that are already there in the previous threads. Saves me a boatload of time and effort.

33. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Wild west of Mistytown
    Maybe you are just in the extremely intelligent top 5% of the population? :)

I know the best thing to do is search but not everyone is all up in the internet forum format. I created a few faus pas back in the day when I joined too. It happens to the best of us, but a little directing in a positive manner never hurt anyone ... If you get sick of seeing them then just ignore them or point them to the FAQ and be done with it.

SDN cycles, not many make the effort to stay so there is always fresh blood out there!

34. scpod

Oct 13, 2005
    Ummm....sometimes the wrong people make the effort to stay :D .

35. And that person is usually forced to do so by yours truly. :laugh: :smuggrin: To quote one of the senior members of SDN: "Another patented DKM smackdown.....brutally effective, kind of like a sock full of nickels upside the head."

36. Tired

Dec 12, 2006
    Delta-quadrant-niner.

Out.

37. Dr JPH

Feb 4, 2000
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"This is totally innapropriate. I dont consort with the type of person who would make such comments. If you have tattoos you are terrible. You should have your tattoos removed and stop drinking immediately or I will be forced to report you to the moderation. End transmission, live long & prosper and please do not feed the tribbles."

38. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    LMFAO!!!:lol: :lol: :beat: :smuggrin: :laugh:

39. Dr JPH

Feb 4, 2000
    "Stop making fun of me or the Vulcan death grip will be used in a manner fitting of your raucous nature. That is all. Beam me up."

40. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    I am going to piss my pants I am laughing so hard.:smuggrin: :laugh: (Oh wait, is that a lewd comment....:rolleyes: ) ;)

41. scpod

Oct 13, 2005
    Depends on whether or not you enjoy that sort of thing ;) .

42. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    :laugh: :p

43. dr.kicia

dr.kicia Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 11, 2003
    where the heart is***
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :biglove:

44. [​IMG]

45. "Set it to 'kill' Spock"
    [​IMG]

46. Dr JPH

Feb 4, 2000
    Careful now. I just got warned. Apparently we're being a bit mean round here. :laugh:

47. Are you serious?????

48. Dr JPH

Feb 4, 2000
    yep

49. :laugh: Maybe we should watch this Riker fellow then....but not get too close.....
    [​IMG]

50. EastCoaster78

EastCoaster78 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 26, 2003
    haha...that post has OMM fellow written all over it. Next you'll have 10-20 rainbows and pictures of little boys bums in your powerpoints.

51. tkim

tkim 10 cc's cordrazine Physician 10+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2002
    New England
    Closing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.