The new DAT standard???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quickad88

Pre-Dent
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

Just took the DAT

19 PA (eh...)
17 QR
24 RC
19 Bio
21 Gen Chem
20 Orgo
TS 20
AA 20

I heard that the new "average" to be competitive was 21 or higher? IS this true? Should I retake September? Any feed back would be helpful. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

well I would suggest that if you have at least a 3.0 applying to schools like UoP and others that care more about the DAT than GPA. What is your GPA anyway if you don't mind sharing.

Members don't see this ad :)
UoP is my top school. I have a 3.18 from UCSB. Messed up in Orgo and lower div bio but did really good in upper divs. What do you think?

I would say you have a shot. When i called UoP they said they like to see 20's across the boards which kind of sucked for me because of a 16 in QR so i asked about that and they said it won't put me out of the running it will just cause them look a little closer at my application. But if you have any doubt call them and ask what they think you should do. UoP was very helpful.

Ya I just e-mailed them. Its my top school. Loved the tour there. O to ease ur nerves a little about the QR, When I toured the campus I actually got to talk to head of admissions. I cant remember a lot of what he told me cuz i was so nervous lol thats why I asked about the 21 thing, but anyways she told me they dont really care about QR at all. But they love high RC scores cuz it shows u can keep up witht he reading. So if you are fine there then im sure you will b ok to. What was ur scores? Maybe we will both be class of 2015 :D

Ya I just e-mailed them. Its my top school. Loved the tour there. O to ease ur nerves a little about the QR, When I toured the campus I actually got to talk to head of admissions. I cant remember a lot of what he told me cuz i was so nervous lol thats why I asked about the 21 thing, but anyways she told me they dont really care about QR at all. But they love high RC scores cuz it shows u can keep up witht he reading. So if you are fine there then im sure you will b ok to. What was ur scores? Maybe we will both be class of 2015 :D

Maybe we will be there together. Its not my top choice but i would be third generation to attend there so it is number 2. my scores were...

AA:22
TS:22
PAT:26
Bio:22
Ochem:21
Gchem:26
QR:16
RC:24

thanks for the info.

Maybe we will be there together. Its not my top choice but i would be third generation to attend there so it is number 2. my scores were...

AA:22
TS:22
PAT:26
Bio:22
Ochem:21
Gchem:26
QR:16
RC:24

thanks for the info.

O_O WTH dang dude u have no worries haha. Hey hook it up lol jkjk but ya ur scores are realllly good. I want your PAT score

Depends on the school. Most schools say they like to see applicants in the 20+ range but really if you look at the averages there are enough 19- applicants to make the average what it is. I know that some schools weigh different portions more than others, UOP likes DAT, so as long as the rest of the application matches you should be golden. I have a list that was posted on here about what School likes what the best. I'll look for it if you are interested its a little old (2008) but gives a little bit of an idea.

Depends on the school. Most schools say they like to see applicants in the 20+ range but really if you look at the averages there are enough 19- applicants to make the average what it is. I know that some schools weigh different portions more than others, UOP likes DAT, so as long as the rest of the application matches you should be golden. I have a list that was posted on here about what School likes what the best. I'll look for it if you are interested its a little old (2008) but gives a little bit of an idea.
Thanks I will have to look for it. You think that 20 is decent? What about the 19 PA?

Anyone else think 20 is good enough?

20 is good enough. You're "nuts" to think if its not. If you think the average on sdn of 22-28's are the average in the real world, you are very well mistaken.

Just look at the average matriculants.

18-20 per school. Do the math. If it were 28 averages across the board then I would say you're screwed.

You're fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
The PAT is weird, some schools like it because it shows how much ability you have manipulating objects around. And it is the only score reported alone along with the AA (acg of 5 scores) and your overall TS. But a 19 really isn't bad coupled with your other scores so I think you are ok, congrats on the scores. Where are you applying and I'll look at my list to see if it really matters that much. UOP likes AA/TS/PAT but not so much the QR or the sciences individually.

20 is good enough. You're "nuts" to think if its not. If you think the average on sdn of 22-28's are the average in the real world, you are very well mistaken.

18-20 per school. Do the math. If it were 28 averages across the board then I would say you're screwed.

You're fine.

Ok cool i wont worry then :)

You're fine.

20 is nowhere good enough with a gpa below 3.2

Just becuae the average is a 19.5 or whatever doesnt mean the same amount of people get in with a 18 and below as the number of people with a 20 and above.

There may be like 5 people who get in with a 18, ZERO with a 17 or below, 70 people with a 19, 10 with a 20, 5 with a 21, 4 with a 22, 3 with a 23, 2 with a 24. This still averages out to 19.5. This is most likely how the DAT distribution at most schools are like.

Considering the average GPA for dental schools is a ~3.5, a 3.5/19AA would make you an "average" applicant.

With a 3.2, You'll probably need 22+ to be "average." Of course other parts of your app will make a difference too, but just number wise, 20AA and 3.2 is not competitive, and anyone who tell you it is is just sugar coating it for you. I'm not trying to be an @ss, I'm just warning you and being realistic, be prepared with a backup plan.

Just becuae the average is a 19.5 or whatever doesnt mean the same amount of people get in with a 18 and below as the number of people with a 20 and above.

There may be like 5 people who get in with a 18, ZERO with a 17 or below, 70 people with a 19, 10 with a 20, 5 with a 21, 4 with a 22, 3 with a 23, 2 with a 24. This still averages out to 19.5. This is most likely how the DAT distribution at most schools are like.

Considering the average GPA for dental schools is a ~3.5, a 3.5/19AA would make you an "average" applicant.

With a 3.2, You'll probably need 22+ to be "average." Of course other parts of your app will make a difference too, but just number wise, 20AA and 3.2 is not competitive, and anyone who tell you it is is just sugar coating it for you. I'm not trying to be an @ss, I'm just warning you and being realistic, be prepared with a backup plan.

I agree with dstu1987,
I think you are not as competitive given that you have 3.2 gpa.
If you had 3.5 and combined with your dat score, you are golden.
or if you got 23AA or higher and combined with 3.2 gpa, you are golden as well.

I definitely have to agree here. It's getting more and more competitive every year. I talked to the admin at my local D-school here and it really seems like you need to compensate either way. He's quite informative. 3.2 needs 21+ for sure. But if you have a 3.5, 19 across the board SHOULD get you somewhere given that you have shadowing experiences and volunteer and research and apply to at least 6 schools .

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS compensate for something that you lack. But overall I think you should be ok. APPLY EARLY

Last edited:
Good job on the dat!

I see you got through it! :D I would say to be wary of your position in the applicant pool, but be confident that you will do well!

I still need to take this stupid test!:confused:

I took the DAT not too long ago and unfortunately I am not too happy with my QR result.:( I only used a cliffs DAT review book to study. I would like to save the money of taking it again if possible. I am asking for some other opinions as to if I should retake the test or not. My scores are as follows:

PA- 20
QR-15
RC-21
BIO-18
GC-18
OC-19
TS-19
AA-18

it is a bit on the low side but my overall GPA and science GPA are over 3.5. I also have over 80 hours of shadowing and I currently work as a dental assistant at the local clinic while attending college.
I am hoping to attend UB, Stony Brook, Ohio State, Case, or Penn

To the OP, I don't want to discourage you but with your GPA you are not a very competitive applicant, not even average. Obviously you don't have to get 24 to get in but with 3.18 you need at least 21-22. Just my opinion, and if I were you I would play it safe.

I took the DAT not too long ago and unfortunately I am not too happy with my QR result.:( I only used a cliffs DAT review book to study. I would like to save the money of taking it again if possible. I am asking for some other opinions as to if I should retake the test or not. My scores are as follows:

PA- 20
QR-15
RC-21
BIO-18
GC-18
OC-19
TS-19
AA-18

it is a bit on the low side but my overall GPA and science GPA are over 3.5. I also have over 80 hours of shadowing and I currently work as a dental assistant at the local clinic while attending college.
I am hoping to attend UB, Stony Brook, Ohio State, Case, or Penn

I don't know about UB or OSU, but I do know that with that DAT, unless you are sporting a 3.9 or have like 10 plublished research papers, you will have a very tough time getting into Case, Penn, and especially Stony Brook.

I think you have a shot, but UOP's averages are around 21 across all sections, except for 19 PAT. Only way to find out is to apply and see. Best of luck!

OP: I feel like alot of these guys are full of BS. Go to the schools web sites or call them for stats on their entering classes... I think you'll find numbers .1-.3 lower than the "3.5" standard - I have.
One way you can help yourself out too is if you have a upward trend.

GL & dont retake unless you dont get in. Even then... call the schools to find out if it would help.

OP: I agree with what yappy said. don't re-take unless you don't get in.

last year I had 19AA/20TS/21PAT with 3.3 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA and still landed with two interviews (both post-december). Although I'm still waitlisted and most likely I'm not in for this year, you never know. You have higher GPA and higher DAT (compared to my last year's) so you'll definitely land with some interviews.

lots of good advice in this thread. look at incoming stats, apply SMART, and in the meantime, take some more upper division science classes to boost that science gpa. at least show them an upward trend. your dat is fine.